Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps,

As smart as I think I am and as technically savvy I think I am, I did this major mistake on my 2015. Mind you I had a 2005 and did multiple oil changes on it and all it required was 5qts of engine oil.

Assumed the same to be for the 2015 (I am an idiot), have been doing oil changes with only 5qts of oil (Must have done at least 10 oil changes like this). Did some (2K miles) of heavy towing as well. Approx. miles drive in this condition ~20K.

Just yesterday skimming through this site came up with a post and realized my mistake of what I was doing. Yesterday when I went home I checked the dipstick; low and behold it was at the min dimple mark. Added the right quantity.

Mind you the van drives perfect, absolutely no issues and even the MPGs are good.

My question is; has this caused any long term damage, any advice or input is helpful. I generally drive my vehicle to around 175k-200k mark and sell it.

Thank You
Javvy

Registered
The bottom dimple is still within range of enough oil, just at the minimum of the range. Wouldn't there be a light if the oil was too low? So you had good lubrication.

I think the last step in an oil change is to check the level on the dipstick 馃榿

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the feedback pjksr02.....but consistently putting 5qts.....for that long, has to have some adverse effect on the engine....no???

javvy

Registered
If I understand the first post correctly, you changed oil much more frequently than every 10,000 miles. If you were using the recommended 0W-20 synthetic oil, I would not be concerned. At the minimum level you didn't "wear out" the oil because of the shorter change intervals.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
If I understand the first post correctly, you changed oil much more frequently than every 10,000 miles. If you were using the recommended 0W-20 synthetic oil, I would not be concerned. At the minimum level you didn't "wear out" the oil because of the shorter change intervals.
Sorry to mention. I was using 5w30 and that's why the more intervals.

Registered
If over time it lost 2 quarts of oil, the oil light kept coming on and the engine sounded like a mad sewing machine with a bent needle, then I'd worry. Otherwise, I'd forget about it. I don't know your engine though.

No wait. You ruined it. Out of the kindness of my heart I'll take it off you hands for a fair price minus 50% for the awful thing you did.:)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
If over time it lost 2 quarts of oil, the oil light kept coming on and the engine sounded like a mad sewing machine with a bent needle, then I'd worry. Otherwise, I'd forget about it. I don't know your engine though.

No wait. You ruined it. Out of the kindness of my heart I'll take it off you hands for a fair price minus 50% for the awful thing you did.:)
馃槅馃ぃ馃槀馃榿馃槅馃槀馃ぃ馃構

1 - 9 of 9 Posts