Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since last Friday, I started to hear rattling noise under the hood at first I was it was engine knocking sound. I did took it to dealership and right after I had my 50K service done, the foreman did a long diagnostic of the van and found out the water pump ball bearing is the problem.
The cost of part and 13 hours of labor comes to $1500. Good thing I had extended warranty on the van so it's covered. This is a Toyota known issue and this is a common problem on both new Lexus and Toyota cars. I got my money's worth on my extended warranty :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wow, didn't know this was a common issue. So was the rattling noise from the front of the engine? Was it a noise that kept on changing with gas?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since last Friday, I started to hear rattling noise under the hood at first I was it was engine knocking sound. I did took it to dealership and right after I had my 50K service done, the foreman did a long diagnostic of the van and found out the water pump ball bearing is the problem.
The cost of part and 13 hours of labor comes to $1500. Good thing I had extended warranty on the van so it's covered. This is a Toyota known issue and this is a common problem on both new Lexus and Toyota cars. I got my money's worth on my extended warranty :)
I have had this engine in my 2007 RAV4, 2010 Venza, and now in my 2012 Sienna. I thought maybe this is an old thread, since the water pump on the 2GR-FE engine hasn't been a problem or a "known issue" since the 2008 model years. Initially Toyota was having premature failure on these, but they have since resolved that issue with a newer style pump as stated in several older Toyota forums.

Your dealership sounds more like a Stealership. Took 2 hours on my 2007 RAV4 at the dealer and only cost my CPO insurance about $500. I waited in the lobby for it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately it is still a problem, 13 hrs of labor to get to a water bump is crazy. $50 deductible for me, fully covered by extended warranty. At least I get to drive another new Highlander AWD, last one I drove ( limited AWD ) had 4 miles on it, this time (XLE AWD) only has 1 mile on it. Fun to drive different new car once in a while.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, didn't know this was a common issue. So was the rattling noise from the front of the engine? Was it a noise that kept on changing with gas?
Yup, as I rev, I hear it rattling, I thought it was engine knocking at first, took it to "stealership" got diagnose and it was the water pump bearing and end up seeing water bump leak too

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
13 hours labor to change the water pump? It should take a fraction of that.
I agree and wish it be less, I guess on their SOP, it's rated 13 hours of labor no dice at least I'm covered by extended warranty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts