Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there is a way to enter coordinates when setting up "Favorites"?
Our 2009 had that option but I cannot find it on our 2020.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
That's disappointing. The nav manual for my 2014 goes into extensive detail on how to enter coordinates for a destination but I can't find similar instructions in the 2020 navigation manual that I downloaded from toyota.com.

But ... I did find a display of destination coordinates on page 356 of the 2020 nav manual under the heading "STARTING ROUTE GUIDANCE". I wonder if you can set the destination and automatically generate the coordinates by pressing the location of the destination on your Sienna's map screen.

Bummer. I occasionally use this feature in my 2014 to navigate to places in rural areas and am going to use this method to navigate to a very rural cemetery when the weather gets better. I even have a GPS converter app on my Android phone in case I need to switch the coordinates to the format I need for the Sienna.

Please let us know if you find a way that works.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But ... I did find a display of destination coordinates on page 356 of the 2020 nav manual under the heading "STARTING ROUTE GUIDANCE". I wonder if you can set the destination and automatically generate the coordinates by pressing the location of the destination on your Sienna's map screen.
That allows you to pick a location on the Toyota map but I assume the coordinates
shown are based on their map. I have more faith in the Google satellite view coordinates, especially in rural areas as you mention.

There is an option to define a "favorite" based on current location. So I guess we are
going to have visit every place on our list and mark it. Good move by Toyota, make
us old folks visit the family places.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Bear with me. I'm pretty familiar with the older Entune in our Prius and its supporting smart phone app but my experience with Entune 3.0 has been only in loaners and rentals.

The following web page says that the "Premium" version of Entune 3.0 has the "Destination Search" feature --> Toyota Entune | An Overview of Its Features

Do you have Entune Premium 3.0 in your 2020? I searched but I didn't find a past post that said which 2020 Sienna version you bought.

Destination Search in our older Prius Entune smart phone app is pretty cool. First I find my rural destination in Google Maps on my PC. Then I right click the found destination on the Google Map and select "What's Here?" to see the coordinates in decimal format. I write down the coordinates.

Then I open the Entune 2.0 app on my smart phone. In the destination search field in the Entune app on my smartphone, I enter the GPS coordinates in decimal format - no conversion is necessary, e.g. 38.477712,-91.029745 if you want to visit that rural cemetery in Missouri!

When the location is displayed on the map in the Entune smart phone app, I select "SAVE" and the message "Ready to sync with your vehicle on the next drive" is displayed on the phone screen.

Then I go to the Prius, start it up, select Apps, select Saved Destinations and the Prius system will ask if I want to sync the destinations from my phone. After I do that, I selected the saved destination I want to go to from the Prius screen and then select "Go to" on the Prius nav screen to start navigating.

I didn't try it but it might be possible to similarly enter the GPS coordinates on the Destination Search on the Prius in-dash screen instead of doing it on my smart phone.

Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't try it but it might be possible to similarly enter the GPS coordinates on the Destination Search on the Prius in-dash screen instead of doing it on my smart phone.
We have Entune 3.0 (Limited Platinum), I will give it a try. Destination Search on the
in-dash screen does not offer a way to enter or edit coordinates. It may on your Prius
as it did on our 2009 but apparently it was dropped.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Entune 3.0 app is not compatible with my HTC phone, bumma!
What? Is your HTC phone ancient and running an old version of Android? Is it shown as not compatible on the Toyota website? If you're not on Verizon or Sprint, you could probably buy a compatible used phone for cheap and give it a try without involving your phone service provider. Maybe it's time for a phone upgrade.

Edit: If you phone isn't in Toyota's list as being tested for compatibility, it doesn't mean it won't work with Entune. For example, my Samsung S5 is to old to be in the compatibility list but it still runs Android 6.0.1 and is compatible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phone is 5 years old, Android 6.0
Entune 3.0 does not show up on Google Play Store, only the older version. If I search for Entune 3.0 on my PC and try to install it I get the message that my phone is not compatible.

The Sienna has a feature to scroll the location in very small increments so I was able to match the Google coordinates that way.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
You're right! When I went to play.google.com on my PC and tried to initiate the install of Entune 3.0 from there, it said that neither of my two Android devices are compatible. Damn! I thought that my phone running Android 6 would be enough.

I tend to hold on to cell phones until they gasp their last dying breath. The main driver of getting my first smart phone was so I could use Entune in my wife's Prius - that was a Samsung S3. I've been nursing my 4-year old Samsung S5 phone along for the last year trying make it last with its piddling 16GB of built-in storage. It's part of my fruitless protest about how little storage Android phones sold in the U.S. have - far less than the same phone models sold in Asia and Europe.

It looks like we both need to go shopping for new smart phones. I might do that today if I can fit it into my busy retirement schedule.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Well I went and solved my upcoming RAV4 Entune 3.0 compatibility problem by replacing my Samsung S5 phone with a Samsung S10 that runs Android 10. I'll probably be back in the same boat 4 or 5 years from now when the S10 will by then have become an antique.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts