Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am 3 months into my new 2011 sienna.

So i am going to final my report as promised when i bought the 07 odyssey as experiment.

The Oddity was sold in feb while wife and i were debating which trim and version of sienna to get.

So we ended up with Pre-dawn grey limited AWD with premium pkg and HID pkg.

Oddity was trade in to dealer for $17k with 29k on odometer. Total out of door on the sienna was $46k include tax.

So here goes the comparison

Power train.
2011 Sienna A
2008 Sienna B+
2007 Odyssey C

The 11 sienna 3.5 V6 with the new 6 speed transmission is awesome and it the benchmark of the class. It always finds right gear and eager to downshift. Power delivery is silken smooth.

While the engine is carry over from the 08, the shift is so smooth you can't feel it. The 08 has a little unwillingness to downshift. But -11 is just great.

Compare to 07 Odyssey. The honda V6 felt weak at low end and top end it gets loud. Transmission on the odyssey is not as smooth as compare to my 08 and 11.

Interior Material

11 Sienna- C+
08 Sienna- B+
Odyssey-B

This is personal preference of mine. The 11 sienna interior is very nice, the wood on the dash, the buttons are nice to touch. The biggest surprise. The fat steering wheel feels so good in your hand. The leather is great. But why did i give it C+? There are two things really bugged me- 1. I hate the dash material- hard plastic blows. 2. Some de-contenting on the dash buttons. For example, -11 sienna has light telling you that you are cycling interior air. But there is no indication if AC is on. For god sake, how much is a single LED cost. Totally unacceptable.

08- Sienna- the dash is soft to the dash and buttons are clearly illuminated. The only down side is the plastic looking fake wood

07- Odyssey-
Leather did not held up well over time. Carpet looked quiet bad after 29k miles.

Stereo-
-11 Sienna- A
-07 Odyssey- B
-08 Sienna- D

The 2011 sienna JBL system blows away the crappy EX-L stereo in the honda in terms of clarity and bass. The resonance in the 2011 sienna cabin makes you feel like you are in mini concert hall. The bass is strong and does not distort how clean the sound is. This is one of the best Toyota system i have heard and come quiet close to the BMW new stereo in the new 7.

In addition, the head unit with USB port allowed my iphone to be controlled via the head unit/steering wheel. All the titles, play lists... are displayed on the screen. Nice.

07- Odyssey. I got to say the head unit clarity is great. And there are less distortion compare to my 08 sienna. But its not match to the 11 Sienna

08- Sienna- By far the worse system ever made. Even in the JBL form. Its a piece of crap that needs to be dumped in the trash.

Navigation-

-11 Sienna A
-08 Sienna B
-07 Odyssey B-

-11 Sienna now comes with real traffic. In my recent trip from LA back to Fremont. It works great. It re-routed me to avoid traffic out of LA. I made it from Rowland height to Fremont in slightly over 5 hours and never hit any traffic. Voice recognition is excellent too. I have very bad chinese accent. But it picks up my voice very well. In addition, Toyota kept some function available while in motion. This system is great. The only down side is that there is 1 to 2 second delay is switching between screens. Quiet annoying. BTW did i mention is also support BT audio streaming.

-07 Odyssey- on par with 08 sienna except some menu structure is not well designed. No logical flow on menu structure.

-08 Sienna. The biggest beef i have is that the Bluetooth on the 08 units does not recognize iphone contact. Plus voice recognition is so so. But it was able to load faster.

Handling
11- Sienna A-
07- Odyssey A-
08- Sienna B-

11- sienna handles as well as the 07 odyssey. The new sienna does not have the floaty ride and excessive body roll. The -11 sienna is extremely stable at triple digit speed. Lane change body motion is well controlled. The only down side is that at low speed the steering response is little over boosted. But as speed picks up, the steering tightens. Not too bad from a people mover from toyota. (Funny thing is that i drove the new F10 550i, and steering response is total disaster. I found it amusing that BMW can screw up the new 5 so bad to a point i actually would rate the new sienna steering response over it).

07 odyssey- I will say this. Odyssey remains the best minivan on steering response. Kudo to honda on this. But the body motion control on odyssey is just poor. This thing hates sudden change in direction. Feels bulky.

08 Sienna- worst steering response of the three. The crappy 17" tires has minimum grip.

Brake-
2011 Sienna A
07 odyssey A-
08 Sienna F

The new sienna brake is just awesome. Great stopping power. The response is very linear.

Odyssey brake is also one of the best in this market. However, i had 2 set of warped pads. So it got deduct for that.

08 Sienna- worst brake feel in the class. Stopping distance is not too good either. But never fades nor warp.

Fuel consumption

08 Sienna A
07 Odyssey D
11 Sienna C

08 sienna averaged slightly over 20 mpg at 65k miles

07 Odyssey averaged 17.1 mpg over its 29k miles

11 sienna average 17.1 so far.

I really can't make a fair comparison, since the 08 sienna is FWD. The 11 sienna weights 500 lbs heavier with AWD. But gas consumption on the sienna is a step backward.

Overall-

The 2011 sienna is a huge step forward as compare to the current gen odyssey and previous gen Sienna.

Lousy brake is a thing of the past on sienna. The cabin is so quiet at any speed. Minimal noise from the tires and underneath the car. This thing absorbs bumps on the road like a champ. Such a smooth ride.

Handling is also on par if not better than Odyssey. The new sienna really handles well and does not feel as fat as the oddity.

Interior- I will say this. Sienna center dash is so well designed with minim buttons. I can't stand honda's design. So busy and full of useless buttons.

Right now the 2011 sienna is the best minivan on the market. Nothing comes close to it at this moment. I really don't see how anyone can pick the current oddity over the new gen Sienna. The new gen sienna is just so much better.

Anyway- pict will be up later tonight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for this - not many people are in the position to conduct such a detailed comparison.

I'm glad to hear the brake feel and response has been vastly improved over the previous gen - it is my one legitimate complaint about my 07.
The traffic alert integration into the Nav sounds like a great plus as well. I can think of several situations where knowledge beforehand of traffic conditions would have resulted in much time saved.

Again, thanks for the review/comparison. Now I feel like I should "trade up" to an 2011! Sigh...and I just finished paying off the 07.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We love our van, but the Odyssey handled much better. It was noisy and not as smooth as the Sienna but it had much better steering feel, other than that I agree pretty much with your assessment. I bet that the SE handles great, but the wife's criteria for a van was Leather and Rear Entertainment and the SE can get neither from the factory.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
adding some pictures

Clean dash- not as busy as odyssey.

So so gas mileage. (this was from LA back to Fremont- i was cruising with 4 at triple digit speed). Just barely hit 20 mpg

Excellent factory HID

Contact from Iphone 4 synced to navi.

Head unit recognize my iphone 4 as ipod- full control on navi screen

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
texas911 said:
Those shots of the Nav system are great, but they are useless while in motion.
Not true. You can access everything through voice control while in motion.

No need to enter via the screen.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sienna said:
where's the pic of the krispykreme coffee in the cup holder? ;D
haha- i quit my kk diet a long time ago. Still quiet huge, but i have lost about 30 lbs. But still at least another 40 to go. sigh.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Nice review. Thanks!!
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just as a datapoint, our '11 LE (2WD) now has ~3000 miles, and our overall average is 20.6 mpg. The extra weight and drivetrain on the AWD appears to affect the mileage pretty significantly.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Based on the first few sentences of the review at the link above....

It really irritates me that the author automatically assumed (perceives) that having a minivan is raising the white flag of suburban surrender. WTH??!! ;-p :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ::) 8) His statement only further promotes that stereotype. It seems as if almost every "professional/enthusiast" automotive journal/magazine/blog/whatever review I read MUST lead-off with a similar statement. I'm almost of the mind to send a letter to my Congressman/Senator to propose legislation that would add [type of vehicle] to the list of officially prohibited discriminatory factors. ;D ;D ;D ??? ::) 8)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is what I have problem with journalist doing a short term test and blast van's feature.

#1. Navi input does not work when van is in motion. Yes- but does he know that this time around all of the command can be entered by voice. Why do i need to touch the screen when I can input via voice?

#2. Ipod page problem- huh. I think that is just too ridiculous. All ipod interface to factory stereo does that. When you flip page, it automatically select the 1st entry on that page.

The only thing i agree is that screen response is very slow. I hope a software update is coming. Because waiting 1 to 2 second for screen to change mode it not good.

·
Registered
652 Posts
topspy said:
Based on the first few sentences of the review at the link above....

It really irritates me that the author automatically assumed (perceives) that having a minivan is raising the white flag of suburban surrender. WTH??!! ;-p :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ::) 8) His statement only further promotes that stereotype. It seems as if almost every "professional/enthusiast" automotive journal/magazine/blog/whatever review I read MUST lead-off with a similar statement. I'm almost of the mind to send a letter to my Congressman/Senator to propose legislation that would add [type of vehicle] to the list of officially prohibited discriminatory factors. ;D ;D ;D ??? ::) 8)
I guess the aurthor finally understands how much he missed out. In his mind he probably feels "damn, should have gotten a van over that car/suv with all my kids..." And now he is to the point that he has to say something BAD about minivan to make himself feels good.

I always believe minivan owners are smart and they understand the true value of a vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't get the stigma of driving a minivan either, I'm confident enough with my self view that I don't need a car type to define who I am. The minivan is just the most practical car for families with kids, big deal.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
texas911 said:
I don't get the stigma of driving a minivan either, I'm confident enough with my self view that I don't need a car type to define who I am. The minivan is just the most practical car for families with kids, big deal.
It's just like all stereotypes. Like I wouldn't drive a VW bug or a Pink Caddy convertible because I think those are "girlie" cars (apologies in advance to any manly-man posters who do drive such vehicles).

I think the improved styling of recent models helps (even if you have to make a Sports Edition) and as the stigma wears off, you'll see less of that "soccer mom" mentality. I still don't know why some maker hasn't thought of putting sliding doors on an SUV... there was that Ford concept for the Explorer that I thought would be awesome but they ended up using the regular swing out doors.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts