Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

EV mode ?

12K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Piet 
#1 ·
Newbie...
After driving 200 miles, parked at hotel.
For fun flipped to EV mode and drove 5 min..
After restart, said battery not charged enough...?

Q. Is there a switch to charge battery?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
As I have complained before, EV mode on a small-volume battery is fairly useless.

Usually, when you want to use EV mode, it always says "battery low"(OK), "Speed over the limit"(Fine), "EV mode unavailable"(Why)

EV mode cannot be used when you just start the engine - you cannot drive out of the garage by EV only.

EV mode cannot be used when the engine water temperature is low.

Even sometimes I saw the battery level is 8/10 the engine will still try to charge it.

The only thing you can count on is the programmed built-in EV mode, which can only be controlled by your feet.

#5 · (Edited)
EV mode cannot be used when you just start the engine - you cannot drive out of the garage by EV only.
Not true for all scenarios. Many variables such as temperature or battery SOC will force start the ICE but if those are met, then EV mode is available.

From the owners manual (page 236):
■Situations in which EV drive mode cannot be turned on It may not be possible to turn EV drive mode on in the following situations. If it cannot be turned on, a buzzer will sound and a message will be shown on the multi-information display. ●The temperature of the hybrid system is high. The vehicle has been left in the sun, driven on a hill, driven at high speeds, etc. ●The temperature of the hybrid system is low. The vehicle has been left in temperatures lower than about 32°F (0°C) for a long period of time etc. ●The gasoline engine is warming up. ●The hybrid battery (traction battery) is low. The remaining battery level indicated in the Energy monitor display is low. (P.122) ●Vehicle speed is high. ●The accelerator pedal is depressed firmly or the vehicle is on a hill etc. ●The windshield defogger is in use.

Also:

Switching to EV drive mode when the gasoline engine is cold: If the hybrid system is started while the gasoline engine is cold, the gasoline engine will start automatically after a short period of time in order to warm up. In this case, you will become unable to switch to EV drive mode. After the hybrid system has started and the “READY” indicator has illuminated, press the EV drive mode switch before the gasoline engine starts to switch to EV drive mode.

#3 ·
Q. Is there a switch to charge battery?
Yes, the gas pedal. ;). Seriously, there is no "switch"; those are included in plug-in vehicles. Remember this about hybrid driving: ALL energy comes from gasoline. This includes the HV battery.

EV mode is best used for VERY short driving/start up scenarios when you don't want to use gas or an unnecessary startup such as: moving it out of the garage/around the driveway, parking garage, etc.

#7 ·
Without using EV mode, I have driven in EV mode for more than 8 miles a day for the last year and a half. if you keep the fake tach gauge below the C in "eco", it won't start the ICE unless you need heat or the traction battery is low. I can drive from my warehouse all the way home without touching gas if I want to, but it is a bit slow to get to 40mph. its also hilly, up and down, so on the down parts, the traction battery really charges up.

#19 ·
I use the EV Mode all the time (in Canada) and find it pretty useful:
a) I have left the van on my driveway during the day and want to park it in the garage at night
b) Backing out of the garage to load up the van (and it's warm outside)
c) When leaving a parking lot with all the stop and go
d) Low speed zones (example: schools) where I will be slowing / stopping frequently

To answer the original question, there is no way to forcefully charge it. The engine, brakes and coasting charge it.

I do wish there was more capability with the hybrid system. There seems to be so much potential here if we could just get an increase to the battery life, like if we could add an additional battery pack or something. I know it's not going to be an upgrade, but perhaps in the near future the Sienna will get the lithium ion batteries and more charging capacity.

#20 ·
I use the EV Mode all the time (in Canada) and find it pretty useful:
a) I have left the van on my driveway during the day and want to park it in the garage at night
b) Backing out of the garage to load up the van (and it's warm outside)
c) When leaving a parking lot with all the stop and go
d) Low speed zones (example: schools) where I will be slowing / stopping frequently

To answer the original question, there is no way to forcefully charge it. The engine, brakes and coasting charge it.

I do wish there was more capability with the hybrid system. There seems to be so much potential here if we could just get an increase to the battery life, like if we could add an additional battery pack or something. I know it's not going to be an upgrade, but perhaps in the near future the Sienna will get the lithium ion batteries and more charging capacity.
I think even the ability to top up the traction battery via plug-in would help a bit. I wish that had been an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.