Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting a pulse on your experience with the 8-sp transmission.
1. How many miles so far?
2. Any major hiccups.
3. What do you like/dislike about the 8-sp transmission.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I bought my used 2017 AWD XLE, I already knew, based on multiple reviews and research here on these forums, that the 8-Speed Transmission had some serious shifting issues. I followed the recommendation here to take the Van to the dealership to get the ECU re-programmed and updated, as other folks have said this resolved the issue. However, the dealership called me back later that day and stated I needed a new transmission! This was with just 23,000 miles on the car. Anyway, after the new transmission, the van has been working better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
'17 SE here with 37k miles. So far no issues with it. No reflash either. Everything shifts fine. (and the wifey has a lead foot too....)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 XLE. The transmission does shift early but is better after the update. After a few miles, I got used to the shifting and use the accelerator to control the transmission. A dislike would getting used to the shifting, I do like the improved gas mileage. My 18 van gets 2 to 4 mpg better than the 2014 XLE that I drove previously.

·
Registered
799 Posts
2018 with 48,000 miles, purchased August of 2019. The van had a software update before I purchased it. No problems, knock on wood.

For a longer discussion, here's a thread on bobistheoilguy.com, with a cameo by our own fibber2, and a TSB:

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
1.5k miles in my 2020 so far. I'm still driving it with a light foot but seems pretty smooth. Noticed a slight amount of gear hunting in slow traffic. My favorite Toyota transmission to date was a 2002 Lexus GS430 5spd auto. Man, that was a smooth operator. I'm also a fan of the Hybrid Synergy Drive eCVT's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have a 2017 manufactured in May of that year with 56K km (~35K mi) on it currently no issues what so ever from day 1. Never had the software update or need for it. Also just above 25K km (15.5K mi) of the total is towing travel trailers that are heavy. Photo of our current trailer is in the towing thread if interested.

·
Super Moderator
4,668 Posts
For a longer discussion, here's a thread on bobistheoilguy.com, with a cameo by our own fibber2, and a TSB:
Wow, forgot about that! Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you y'all for sharing. I planing to get a used 2018 LE within my budget. No need for the XLE or higher trim for me. I just want to hang on to for more than 10yrs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dude, go with the XLE. The leather alone makes the ride so much more comfortable. Plus, heated seats, Blind spot mirroring, power lift gate, etc. What's $2,000 or so more in 10 years? When we were looking, I sorted all the listed only by XLE trim. It really does make the van that much more wonderful.

·
Super Moderator
4,668 Posts
It all depends on your budget. Never spend more than you can afford. In 2008 we bought an LE. In 2016 we bought a Limited Premium. Your situation dictates your disposable income.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's true. I think I'm just a sucker for Leather seats, especially on minivans. The comfort and ease of cleanup makes it that much more worth it. In fact, I believe had the LE come with a Leather Seat option, I might have chosen that. But I have grown very fond of the Power Lift Gate and the Blind Spot monitoring as well.

·
Super Moderator
4,668 Posts
Oh me too! Creature comforts become more of a thing as we've gotten older. But the bank account needs to be able to stomach the hit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I bought a 2018 Sienna LE a few weeks ago, and so far really happy with it. Had a I4 RAV4 before so loving the upgrade in power. Just wondering about a funny feeling in the transmission when rolling to a stop at a stop sign, kind of feels like it’s downshifting. Anywone else had this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just getting a pulse on your experience with the 8-sp transmission.
1. How many miles so far?
2. Any major hiccups.
3. What do you like/dislike about the 8-sp transmission.
I find the more I drive it, and so far that's only 1500 miles, the better we get along. It's like we both had to get used to each other (the transmission and I)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just wondering about a funny feeling in the transmission when rolling to a stop at a stop sign, kind of feels like it’s downshifting. Anywone else had this?
Yes, my 18 LE also downshifts, coasting to a stop. This seems to be more pronounced when the van is cold.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2017 with around 26k miles. Purchased new. I've never had any "issues" with the transmission, so to speak, but I can definitely trick it into doing a little gear hunting in the 1st/2nd/3rd gear range at low speeds if I'm being non-committal about my throttle application.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, my 18 LE also downshifts, coasting to a stop. This seems to be more pronounced when the van is cold.
I noticed the same on my 2017 FWD with 25k miles. The downshifting causes a very short unexpected acceleration as RPM is higher in cold, but no big issue so far as speed is low and brake is often applied during coasting to stop sign.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dude, go with the XLE. The leather alone makes the ride so much more comfortable. Plus, heated seats, Blind spot mirroring, power lift gate, etc. What's $2,000 or so more in 10 years? When we were looking, I sorted all the listed only by XLE trim. It really does make the van that much more wonderful.
Just switched from Sienna AWD 2004 to this 2015 AWD LXE.Wow what a difference in comfort.I can now hear what my wife says.Lolol Good or bad ????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts