Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
In general, I only buy insurance for catastrophic scenarios that would wipe me and my family out financially (health, home, umbrella, life). Extended warranties don't meet that threshold.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Remember Toyota are msn made just like other cars, but I always buy an extended warranty, hardly ever used it, but it’s like insurance, it’s there if you need it. I purchased the 21” Sienna, but I bought my extended warranty thru Midwest Toyota in Hutchison, Kansas. I got the 0$ Deductible Platinum, 8 year/100,000 mile for $1255 a genuune Toyota warranty, dealers in Houston wouldn’t sell me one that cheap.
If I use it once, it’ll pay for itself.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,384 Posts
Oh, here's one I didn't think about yesterday: Technical Service Bulletins. There have already been a few for the new Sienna. Infotainment updates, and the like. I'm sure there will be a ton more over the next few years. They could be for updated parts, adjustments, software, whatever... They are free during the 3/36 warranty, but you pay after that. Unless, of course, you are covered by the extended warranty.

I regularly strobe for them, and take my vehicles in for whatever comes up that seems to apply. Software upgrades are a natural. Nothing has to be 'broken' to prove you need it. If you pay, most software updates run around $150 per application based on an hours labor plus the software fee plus BS shop fees and tax. So far we had:

One for the Sienna radio/nav head to address occasional lockups.
Two for the Outback (ECU/TCU Driveability).
Two for the CR-V (one ECU, one TCU).

All this stuff adds up. All together, most of the cost of the plan for the 2014 Outback, as it happens.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
My other Toyota had a 7 year warranty that expired unused. I bought one for our Sienna due to all the electronics, computers and safety sense stuff. Hope it also expires unused, but that stuff is too expensive to pay for repairs. I did get my warranties from an out of state Toyota dealer at a large reduction in price. The 3K numbers dealers are quoting are crazy.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
64 Posts
Remember Toyota are msn made just like other cars, but I always buy an extended warranty, hardly ever used it, but it’s like insurance, it’s there if you need it. I purchased the 21” Sienna, but I bought my extended warranty thru Midwest Toyota in Hutchison, Kansas. I got the 0$ Deductible Platinum, 8 year/100,000 mile for $1255 a genuune Toyota warranty, dealers in Houston wouldn’t sell me one that cheap.
If I use it once, it’ll pay for itself.
When we bought our Subaru, our local dealer matched a competitors price. The dealer would rather make some money vs. none.

Thank you @rjordan100 for the price and location.

Are there other dealers and warranty prices forum members could share? So - for those of us that like giving more money to Toyota dealers we can call and hopefully get the same deal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
When we bought our Subaru, our local dealer matched a competitors price. The dealer would rather make some money vs. none.

Thank you @rjordan100 for the price and location.

Are there other dealers and warranty prices forum members could share? So - for those of us that like giving more money to Toyota dealers we can call and hopefully get the same deal?

Thanks!
I would also really appreciate this for the Canadian market as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I paid $1k for the wheel/tire/pdr protection for 5 years. It paid for itself with 6 rft tires because of nails and all 4 rims being repaired. I also got two pdr's out of it too (all zero deductible).

I did not get the extended warranty at time of purchase, but I did pick up an extended platinum warranty for 10 years/125k miles (zero deductable) on my 2015 sienna limited premium awd just before the factory warranty ended. Bought it out of state at a different toyota dealership over the phone/fax and paid zero sales tax (for about $2k). I figured at the time, I don't like haggling with dealerships on pricing. If its broke, i just want to hand them the key and say "fix it, its your problem". I'll also get free towing, trip interruption, free loaner, etc... so it is really a good deal if anything happens.

So far the extended warranty has paid for itself with shocks and the head unit failing, plus a few other things at under 60k miles and 5 years but outside of factory warranty. I can still drive the car like I have a coat of armor on... no fear. I also do oil changes very early on too (every 7500 miles instead of 10k miles). I will probably dump it just before the extended warranty is up so the next guy can have some piece of mind in the purchase. Best $2k ever spent!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I paid $1k for the wheel/tire/pdr protection for 5 years. It paid for itself with 6 rft tires because of nails and all 4 rims being repaired. I also got two pdr's out of it too (all zero deductible).

I did not get the extended warranty at time of purchase, but I did pick up an extended platinum warranty for 10 years/125k miles (zero deductable) on my 2015 sienna limited premium awd just before the factory warranty ended. Bought it out of state at a different toyota dealership over the phone/fax and paid zero sales tax (for about $2k). I figured at the time, I don't like haggling with dealerships on pricing. If its broke, i just want to hand them the key and say "fix it, its your problem". I'll also get free towing, trip interruption, free loaner, etc... so it is really a good deal if anything happens.

So far the extended warranty has paid for itself with shocks and the head unit failing, plus a few other things at under 60k miles and 5 years but outside of factory warranty. I can still drive the car like I have a coat of armor on... no fear. I also do oil changes very early on too (every 7500 miles instead of 10k miles). I will probably dump it just before the extended warranty is up so the next guy can have some piece of mind in the purchase. Best $2k ever spent!
I think it absolutely adds value to a used car. I can not see why when shopping for a used car there is not a prominent search criteria for extended warranty. I don't see it on any of the car buying apps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For those of you who have purchased (or thinking about) the new Sienna, did you purchase the extended warranty? Why or why not?
We have purchased three new Siennas: a 1998, a 2011, and a 2021 that we presently have on order. I will tell you the same thing I told the dealers when they started with the extended warranty sales pitch: “If I thought this vehicle was going to break down a lot, I wouldn’t be buying it.“ We put 230K miles on the 1998, and 220K miles on the 2011 with only one significant repair: The 2011 required a $1400 HVAC servo motor replacement at 195K miles, which would have been past the extended warranty period anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I am seeing a lot of good advice from all angles. Keep it up! This will be a good source of information and discussion for everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Previous to buying our 2017 Sienna Limited Premium. I had never purchased an extended warranty. For whatever reason, I purchased a 7 year/ 125,000 mile Toyota warranty this time. Since the 65,000 mile mark, the alternator and water pump had to be replaced. Bearings in alternator and water pump was leaking. Now closing in on 100,000 miles, the transmission shifting isn’t necessarily worse than when it was new, but have to wonder if it’s next issue. As most of the miles are highway, I still haven’t replaced the brakes. Oh, and also a new battery. Definitely the most issues I’ve had with anything Toyota or Honda in the last 20 years. Interesting how people talk about Fiat/Chrysler reliability when our 2015 Jeep Wrangler has 75,000 trouble free miles on it. YMMV....

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD
174 Posts
Someone way smarter than me with a lot more data calculated that extended warranties make money. That along with Toyota's track record (especially in Hybrids) tell me I'll be just fine with the standard warranty

·
Premium Member
2018 Sienna LE
892 Posts
From everything that I've read in different car forums, it comes down to 3 options:

1. If you have $1k or $2k to spare, buy the manufacturer's warranty for peace of mind
2. If you don't want to buy it thinking you won't use it, save up the warranty cost in a safe place in case you need it for repairs. Even if it doesn't cover the entire cost, it will help
3. Don't worry about it because you know your vehicle is reliable and well-maintained

I've experienced 2 and 3 :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
From everything that I've read in different car forums, it comes down to 3 options:

1. If you have $1k or $2k to spare, buy the manufacturer's warranty for peace of mind
2. If you don't want to buy it thinking you won't use it, save up the warranty cost in a safe place in case you need it for repairs. Even if it doesn't cover the entire cost, it will help
3. Don't worry about it because you know your vehicle is reliable and well-maintained

I've experienced 2 and 3 :)
Imo, The most important thing is getting it for $1000 vs $2000. What they try to get is criminal. If it ads value at resale and its only $1000, I think it's a great thing.

I hate how they abuse Florida residents. The overcharging for warranty thing coupled with the South East Toyota mandatory options is a load of $H!....t

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cant you buy the extended warranty after 3 years when your manufacturers warranty expires? Why buy something so far in advance? You may not even have the car still in 3 years.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,384 Posts
Toyota will only sell you a plan on a new vehicle up to the day/mileage of the 3/36. CPO vehicles have another set of rules.

Why buy early? In my case I've benefited from the rental car availability (I live a good distance from everything) and the preferred service appointments. These features were worth it to me, financially and in terms of convenience on both vans. Plus when I'm shopping around and find what I think is the best deal I'm likely to find, that's the day to buy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My $0.02: I know all the logic about extended warranties, and have not bought them on base/lower trim model cars I've bought. I have bought them on three vehicles (1990 Ford Taurus LX, 1998 Chrysler Town&Country, and 2011 Sienna Limited) and have made out like a bandit on all three.

Ford and Chrysler had electrical/oil leak problems, more than paid for the warranties. But the Toyota is the one you'll be most interested in:
  • both power mirrors got loose after about 5 years (there's apparently some washer that wears); that repair alone amortized the warranty.
  • steering half-shafts, misdiagnosed by dealership as CV joints, despite my suggesting the symptoms indicated half-shafts. So we got both done at no cost, 7 years in.

As the saying goes, YMMV. But so far they've paid off, to the point that if we completely waste the money on one for our next vehicle, we'll still be ahead.

Like any insurance, it's a peace-of-mind thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh, here's one I didn't think about yesterday: Technical Service Bulletins. There have already been a few for the new Sienna. Infotainment updates, and the like. I'm sure there will be a ton more over the next few years. They could be for updated parts, adjustments, software, whatever... They are free during the 3/36 warranty, but you pay after that. Unless, of course, you are covered by the extended warranty.

I regularly strobe for them, and take my vehicles in for whatever comes up that seems to apply. Software upgrades are a natural. Nothing has to be 'broken' to prove you need it. If you pay, most software updates run around $150 per application based on an hours labor plus the software fee plus BS shop fees and tax. So far we had:

One for the Sienna radio/nav head to address occasional lockups.
Two for the Outback (ECU/TCU Driveability).
Two for the CR-V (one ECU, one TCU).

All this stuff adds up. All together, most of the cost of the plan for the 2014 Outback, as it happens.....
I wish I would have known about the Nav lock up- mine did that before 36,000 but thought nothing of it until at 46,000 it flashed and got stuck on the start up screen.. dealer wanted $4,000 to replace it.. the tech tried a software update but it didn’t work.. But they had the name of a place that could put in an aftermarket display.. I think the hard drive went bad, but I have to make time to watch videos on how to get the dash apart and troubleshoot. Maybe I should have bought the warranty..😢

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2 cents,
1) I don’t buy extended warranties, I subscribe to the economics already discussed. I have the savings to cover any unplanned expense.

2) If buying an extended warranty makes you feel better, don’t buy it from the dealership. Call Toyota Motor Sales and buy it directly from them at 50 - 70% off.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts