Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up, fellow Sienners.:cool:

My wife drives 2017 PGM SE and she could care less as to any mods I have planned for the van. She just told me not to lower it, but she didn't say not to bag it :devilish:

Main focus are the lights for now. I've done a full LED bulb swap in the interior. From vanity to the trunk (looks great with the dark interior!). As well as LED headlight/fogs and license plate light.:cool:

Recently, I saw another 3rd Gen Sienna XLE on the freeway passing me up. I noticed their tail lights. Configured just like the SE tail lights, but with red lens (looks factory). I've been trying to search online what year had the SE-like tail lights with the red lens. Unfortunately, I'm not too fond of the clear SE lens, and was already ready to settle for the OE LE/XLE/LTD red tail lens (non-led).

I've tried searching through the forums for "Tail light mods", but not very much what I was specifically looking for.

If there's anyone who can help me on this project, much appreciated. If you have done this, I'd like to see a few snaps of the swap.

J from the Bay, anyone else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am interested to know. The Sienna SE tail lights have been around since 2011 now. I’m ready for something more modern to swap in. Even tinted would be better in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Recently, I saw another 3rd Gen Sienna XLE on the freeway passing me up. I noticed their tail lights. Configured just like the SE tail lights, but with red lens (looks factory). I've been trying to search online what year had the SE-like tail lights with the red lens. Unfortunately, I'm not too fond of the clear SE lens, and was already ready to settle for the OE LE/XLE/LTD red tail lens (non-led).
I'm fairly certain that the LED taillights of the 2011-14 LE/XLE/LMT are interchangeable with the clear taillights on all model years of the gen 3 SE. There have been past threads about people installing SE taillights on the 2011-2014 LE/XLE/LMT,

At least one person installed SE LED taillights on a 2015 or newer LE/XLE/LMT that came with all incandescent taillights. Here's a thread although he didn't go into much detail: https://www.siennachat.com/threads/2015-limited-to-led-se-tail-lights.21617/

And I think I remember a thread about someone installing 2015-up Sienna incandescent taillights on a Sienna that came with LED taillights.

I've never understood why people go to the trouble of doing all these tail light switches. It sometimes seems like people simply want what they don't have. The only reason I would want to do a taillight switch would be if there is a documented safety improvement. That said, I wouldn't care if my 2014 Limited had the clear SE taillights if anyone wants non-clear LED taillights badly enough to drive his SE to Lenexa, Kansas to swap with me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe all SEs to date should be a direct swap for 2011-2014 non SE red lens LED taillights. Actually the outer red running/brake lamps are the only parts that are LED. The inner red running lamps are simulated LED using an incandescent bulb and multiple reflectors. I recently swapped my SE taillights out for the 2015 and newer non SE red lens taillights. The inner lamps were straight forward, 4 wires to 2 bulbs. The outer lamps were a bit trickier IIRC with 5 wires and two bulbs. One being the signal lamp that needed a ground and the signal wires. The other being running/brake lamp that needed a ground, running signal and brake signal wires. If you plan on doing the 2015 and newer non SE swap it would help if you had someone stepping on the brakes and turning on the signal/running lights while you tested each wire with a voltage tester. Unfortunately when I purchased my set of 2015 non SE lamps they only came with the bulb sockets and no plug/pigtails so I had to get some small female disconnects to make my own pigtails. I put in LED bulbs into both my old SE taillights and the newer non SE ones and the visibility in the newer non SE taillights is much better both day and night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts