Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My .02.

I have always wanted a minivan, since collage days. I like long road trips. Nothing beats minivan for them. I got C300 around our first born in 2010 because I wanted a luxury car too. I figured if you're going out of your way to buy something expensive, you might as well get it soon to get more use out of it. Our 2nd backup car 2001 Prism kept going until Dec. 2020 so I didn't really have a need to buy another car. Prism died sitting unused in parking lot due to Covid, and the timing couldn't have been more prefect. A couple of months early, and Sienna Hybrid wouldn't have been out yet. A couple of months later, and that would have been the start of the supply chain mayhem! (RIP Prism!)

For everyone passing on minivan for an SUV or a crossover, I say good for you (and us too in this tight supply market! IMHO, its their loss ;) ).

Minivans have so much utility, daily practical uses.
Sliding doors, and ability to just "Walk-in (a bit hunched over)" to get kids in/out of the car seats doesn't seem like a chore anymore, especially in rough weather.

Speaking specifically for Sienna, 2nd seats long slides are amazing. I am lounging back there (a lot), when kids are out for dance or sports.

Hybrid MPGs close the deal!

About driving experience, Sienna can't beat a sports car, but you won't completely miss it either. Electric motors have a good kick to it. For reference, our 2011 C300 has 0-60 of 7.1. Our Sienna has 7.5. That's about the same if you ask me!

p.s. If you have OCD for keeping cars tidy, be warned! This is a lot of car to keep clean from the inside, especially with kids. One of these days, I am just going to carry a mop and a bucket all the time in ours ;).

For spare, link below has my take on it. FWIW, I just picked two of my friends from the airport with the spare like this. I was still able to put their 4 full size, and 2 carry ons back there. The 3rd seat needed to be slightly reclined in, for the last bag.
That's exactly what my thinking was. I can probably throw it behind the third row (only when I take long trips) or maybe get a fabric cover for it and throw it on the roof racks.

I plan to carry around a portable but powerful Dirt Devil vacuum because both my wife and I are slightly OCD :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's great to hear. I keep hearing how slow it is and I did have some concerns but reading the specs where it says 0-60 in 7.7s, I don't think it'll be too bad when I need to merge. about the spare tire, I'm thinking of getting a full size one and throw it on top of the roof when I go on a road trip.
My .02.

I have always wanted a minivan, since collage days. I like long road trips. Nothing beats minivan for them. I got C300 around our first born in 2010 because I wanted a luxury car too. I figured if you're going out of your way to buy something expensive, you might as well get it soon to get more use out of it. Our 2nd backup car 2001 Prism kept going until Dec. 2020 so I didn't really have a need to buy another car. Prism died sitting unused in parking lot due to Covid, and the timing couldn't have been more prefect. A couple of months early, and Sienna Hybrid wouldn't have been out yet. A couple of months later, and that would have been the start of the supply chain mayhem! (RIP Prism!)

For everyone passing on minivan for an SUV or a crossover, I say good for you (and us too in this tight supply market! IMHO, its their loss ;) ).

Minivans have so much utility, daily practical uses.
Sliding doors, and ability to just "Walk-in (a bit hunched over)" to get kids in/out of the car seats doesn't seem like a chore anymore, especially in rough weather.

Speaking specifically for Sienna, 2nd seats long slides are amazing. I am lounging back there (a lot), when kids are out for dance or sports.

Hybrid MPGs close the deal!

About driving experience, Sienna can't beat a sports car, but you won't completely miss it either. Electric motors have a good kick to it. For reference, our 2011 C300 has 0-60 of 7.1. Our Sienna has 7.5. That's about the same if you ask me!

p.s. If you have OCD for keeping cars tidy, be warned! This is a lot of car to keep clean from the inside, especially with kids. One of these days, I am just going to carry a mop and a bucket all the time in ours ;).

For spare, link below has my take on it. FWIW, I just picked two of my friends from the airport with the spare like this. I was still able to put their 4 full size, and 2 carry ons back there. The 3rd seat needed to be slightly reclined in, for the last bag.
I was able to deflate our 18incher and shove it in the rear well with some work. I had to sit on it and deflate it to create sort of flat spots on two opposite sides. Thank you @Richard E for this "out of the box" ( or is it really an "In the box" ;) ) idea!

Here is how it looks. It is stuck in their solid with friction grip in a nook behind the seat, and also back. Getting it out will be a project too that I hope I don't have to do often. I do plan to take it out an fully inflate it once a year. I will miss the space that it is taking now, but full size spare wheel can be worth a million bucks depending on the situations.

While at it, I tested out my cheapy Tire wrench, scissor jack and the jack stand too. They all appeared to have worked in my multiple lifts. I didn't actually change any tires, just propped it up high enough on multiple sides multiple times.

Thinking out loud, looks like all Sienna trims tires have the same, or close enough, outer diameters. i.e. Bigger rims have smaller sidewalls. I suspect all 3 rims may have same bolt patterns, offsets and widths too.
20 Incher : 235/50TR20.0
18 Incher : 235/60TR18.0
17 Incher : 235/65TR17.0

If so, may be a 17inch Rim+Tire similar to LE might work as a spare on all? If nothing, the 17 incher will give you an extra inch to squeeze out of, and might also be a little cheaper? I got mine already, but this might help others looking for their full size spare.

View attachment 49452 View attachment 49451
So a full size spare fits in the back/bottom storage! So i take it, the back left side storage will be for seat in between 2nd row captain seats.

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,190 Posts
....So i take it, the back left side storage will be for seat in between 2nd row captain seats.
Yeah. The rectangular hole on left rear is for the 2nd middle seat. It's there even on the units that don't come with middle seats. Since we don't have a built-in spare, a compartment here hides an electric air pump and a fix-a-flat kind of can.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just noticed "all the stuff that we need is in the XLE (leather...)" The 2022 XLE has Softex seats, not leather. In case you care. Best to know in advance if you do.
Thanks! as long it's not cloth and I can wipe off spilled food/drink with a damp towel. I don't care for it if it's leather. I actually prefer vinyl like the ones from the 2000s BMW 3 series.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Howdy!

Just put $1,000 to reserve one from a dealership in Phoenix, Arizona!!! Whoohoo! It's a '22 Silver XLE. I've been looking for one since February. The build date is 4/22. 2nd baby arrives in September. Family of 4 can't fit into a Lexus GS very well.

What are the chances of us getting the car in June for a road trip before the baby arrives? They say it's from Princeton, Indiana.

Another question: am I crazy? Because some people are saying it and I am questioning my sanity.
1. Never owned a minivan!!! (My previous cars the last 20 years: Lexus ES, IS, GS, LS, RX, and LC)
2. Never driven a hybrid!
3. Never seen the car in real life (at least the ones from '21+)
4. Never driven a car without a spare tire or RFT. The one I ordered did not have the spare tire option.
Which Dealer you reserved ? and Would you mind to share how much did you paid over MSRP?

·
Registered
22 Sienna XLE+ FWD, 22 Tesla Model Y LR
75 Posts
Just noticed "all the stuff that we need is in the XLE (leather...)" The 2022 XLE has Softex seats, not leather. In case you care. Best to know in advance if you do.
"Softex," also known as "vinyl." However, vinyl these days are quite nice. Many cars have their of vinyl seats, like Mercedes and Tesla. It's not like the nasty vinyl back in the day.

·
Registered
272 Posts
"Softex," also known as "vinyl." However, vinyl these days are quite nice. Many cars have their of vinyl seats, like Mercedes and Tesla. It's not like the nasty vinyl back in the day.
Very few cars offer 100% real leather - Porsche and Audi offer 100% leather.

·
Registered
22 Sienna XLE+ FWD, 22 Tesla Model Y LR
75 Posts
Very few cars offer 100% real leather - Porsche and Audi offer 100% leather.
In my previous Acura cars, they had leather seats. The seatback was vinyl and definitely not real leather. But the real leather was very high quality and frankly, I couldn't tell the difference from modern vinyl seats. I have sat in very high end cars with real high quality leather and it is very nice.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts