Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to do a borrowed car agreement on a 2021 LE yesterday, and im super impressed with it.

I have a 2015 SE (to compare to)

My take away:
I love the new interior style. The cloth seats are really comfortable compared to the leather in the XLE (they have an XLE that i looked at too) My husband is a larger guy and his only complaint was the area between the console and seat belt to buckle was a bit tight. I did notice it seems like there are less cupholders in the 2nd/3rd row than my 2015.

The drive, its SO much quieter, SO much smoother and WAY less body roll than my 2015 SE. It definitely has the get up and go that i need in a vehicle. My husband and i both got on it good and its response was impressive.

I can ACTUALLY install a car seat in the 8th seat now which i need.... (cant do this on the 2015 i have..which is why we are shopping for a new vehicle...)

The rear cargo area definitely seems deeper than my 2015.

I love all the features you can get on the LE now like blind spot, radar cruise and lane keep. Things that you had to step up into a higher end trim on the previous gen to get.

I am HIGHLY considering getting one, but may wait until more are available to chose from (early 2021 probably). We did the 2021 Odyssey touring the day before the sienna and the sienna is WAY nicer in my opinion. Odyssey was lacking and it just wasnt as responsive as the sienna is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The drive, its SO much quieter, SO much smoother and WAY less body roll than my 2015 SE. It definitely has the get up and go that i need in a vehicle. My husband and i both got on it good and its response was impressive.
I am glad to hear this! thank you for your sharing! ! I ditched my 2015 se/2017 limited because I can't stand the rattle/squeak anymore! ! Looking forward to test drive the 2021!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hope you dont mind if I chime in here. I am two weeks into my new 2021 Sienna XLE 7 passenger with front wheel drive. This thing drives nice. Is about the same noise level as my 2018 Pilot (V6) when accelerating and quieter when under normal driving conditions. Plenty of power to pass, merge onto interstates etc. In around 2004, I owned a 94 Previa with the 4 cylinder and I thought it had plenty of power. Unless you are towing, I think the 4 cylinder is just fine.

I have been getting 32-34 mpg overall. I do mostly 5 mile jaunts from 30-55 mph with a few 70’s here ano there. When I had an extended period of 65 mph for about 20 miles or so, I was getting a steady 38 mpg. I suspect mpg will increase when we get into “summer gas” again. My Pilot avg’d 23 mpg in summer and 19 mpg in winter. This is my first hybrid and it and the dash layout really keep me conscious of trying to drive economically... at least so far.

I like the shelf that runs under the radio/climate system and across the width of the passenger area. Great feature. And the audio system is easier to use than the Pilot. Actual knob to handle volume and moving to stations again. Or you can push buttons to do the same. Phone interactions are easier too.

I am a fan of the console layout inside. Would love to find some sort of storage organizer for the big deep bin by the driver’s right elbow. Right now I use a cardboard cup holder that has 4 compartments. Similar to a cardboard 6 pack, but with only 4 compartments. The cup holders in the van are numerous and work well. Easy to install the grandkids into their seats. And speaking of seats, I have never seen seat heaters that warm up as fast as these. Wow. I assume they run off of the hybrid battery to react that fast. I am with the others that wish that the middle row seats could be removed, but in my two weeks have not had that need yet.

I am trying to get used to the lane stray stray assist or whatever it‘s called. Really like the adaptive cruise, auto on hi-beams, and my ultimate favorite so far is the feature that reads the speed limit signs and displays the speed limit on the dash. The blind spot monitors on the mirrors is nice but I find myself missing the passenger side blind spot camera that my Pilot had. But so far, the Toyota blind spot monitor works well.

As for now, couldn’t be more pleased.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was able to do a borrowed car agreement on a 2021 LE yesterday, and im super impressed with it.

I have a 2015 SE (to compare to)

My take away:
I love the new interior style. The cloth seats are really comfortable compared to the leather in the XLE (they have an XLE that i looked at too) My husband is a larger guy and his only complaint was the area between the console and seat belt to buckle was a bit tight. I did notice it seems like there are less cupholders in the 2nd/3rd row than my 2015.

I can ACTUALLY install a car seat in the 8th seat now which i need.... (cant do this on the 2015 i have..which is why we are shopping for a new vehicle...)

The rear cargo area definitely seems deeper than my 2015.

I love all the features you can get on the LE now like blind spot, radar cruise and lane keep. Things that you had to step up into a higher end trim on the previous gen to get.

I am HIGHLY considering getting one, but may wait until more are available to chose from (early 2021 probably). We did the 2021 Odyssey touring the day before the sienna and the sienna is WAY nicer in my opinion. Odyssey was lacking and it just wasnt as responsive as the sienna is.
Did you by chance take any pictures of the 8th seat? We couldn't get over how small it was on the previous generation. Is it actually bigger and does it form a bench now? The marketing photos make it seem as though it hadn't changed.

The magic side seats on the Odyssey have us thinking we'll switch to a Honda in the next few months, because we liked the 8th seat implementation better.

·
Registered
2004 LE-8
75 Posts
Did you by chance take any pictures of the 8th seat? We couldn't get over how small it was on the previous generation. Is it actually bigger and does it form a bench now? The marketing photos make it seem as though it hadn't changed.

Using the Sienna configurator: animated GIF of XLE, XLE-8, XLE w/spare, XLE-8 w/spare

3rd gen Sienna

2nd gen Sienna: note the lack of armrests.

Got out a tape measure, the width of the center seat cushion at its max is 17" and the outer seat 19 3/4"

·
Registered
35 Posts
View attachment 47914

Using the Sienna configurator: animated GIF of XLE, XLE-8, XLE w/spare, XLE-8 w/spare

View attachment 47911
View attachment 47912
3rd gen Sienna

View attachment 47915
2nd gen Sienna: note the lack of armrests.

Got out a tape measure, the width of the center seat cushion at its max is 17" and the outer seat 19 3/4"
Thanks for the pictures! So are you saying the middle seat is only a couple inches narrower at its widest point than the outboard middle row seats? It looks to be about the same size as the gen 3 middle seat from the photos.

·
Registered
2004 LE-8
75 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! So are you saying the middle seat is only a couple inches narrower at its widest point than the outboard middle row seats? It looks to be about the same size as the gen 3 middle seat from the photos.
Sorry, that's my 2004 measured. Too bad Toyota couldn't come up with something similar for subsequent Siennas.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The outboard 2nd row seats in Toyota vehicles sold in North America have grown wider over the past decades as the average size of American asses have become wider which has led to the middle seats in second rows becoming narrower to the point of being uncomfortable or unusable for adults.

It's interesting or maybe disturbing that the same Toyota models sold in North America and Europe have very different 2nd row seats with the American versions being essentially for 2 people and the European versions being for 3 people.

Here's a good example of that - the 2nd row seats of the Prius wagon for North America and the 2nd row seats for the Prius wagon for Europe.

For North America asses:

2nd row seat for American asses - Prius v.jpg

For European asses:

2nd row seat for European asses - Prius+.jpg

This reminds me of when the University of Iowa at Iowa City had to make the bleacher seats in the football stadium a few inches wider to allow for "ass size creep". It got so bad before the seats were enlarged that people stopped trying to sit down during football games.

·
Registered
2004 LE-8
75 Posts
The outboard 2nd row seats in Toyota vehicles sold in North America have grown wider over the past decades as the average size of American asses have become wider which has led to the middle seats in second rows becoming narrower to the point of being uncomfortable or unusable for adults.

It's interesting or maybe disturbing that the same Toyota models sold in North America and Europe have very different 2nd row seats with the American versions being essentially for 2 people and the European versions being for 3 people.

Here's a good example of that - the 2nd row seats of the Prius wagon for North America and the 2nd row seats for the Prius wagon for Europe.

For North America asses:
View attachment 47921

For European asses:
View attachment 47922
The JDM Prius α 2nd row appears similar to the US Prius v's, mirrored for RHD

The EU Prius+ reminds me of similar small cars with buckets, such as the 6-seater Fiat Mutipla and Honda FR-V/Edix. Anyone know why?

multipla.jpeg

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
63 Posts
The spare "seat" is still as comical as ever..

(╭☞ ಠ ͜つ ಠ )╭☞ r=1+sinθ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts