Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sienna Limited Premium from a 2002 Odyssey XLE
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're still undecided about buying a 2020 model or waiting for the 2021 Sienna. Maybe some of you could offer helpful suggestions or comments?

1. Is the 2021 Safety Sense 2.0 (auto emergency braking, etc.?) worth waiting for?

2. Which versions of the 2020 model have leather seats available? We like leather seats.

3. I've run across many comments about the 2021 Hybrid likely being underpowered vs the 2021 V6, what are your thoughts?

4. Does anyone expect a significant price drop on 2020 models as the year progresses?

5. Does anyone expect any discounts on the newly introduced 2021s to encourage sales volume?

6. Part of me says the 2020 model has likely got all the 3rd generation bugs worked out by now. One would expect a lot of bugs in the new 2021.

I know, this is getting too long, so I'll stop here.

Thanks for any comments or thoughts you care to share.

Regards to a great group.

Bob

·
Registered
144 Posts
1. I'd say yes. One of the differences is the Full Range Speed Cruise Control meaning it can control down to a stop instead of just down to 25 mph.
2. Toyota tends to offer leather/leatherette on XLE and above. So all except the base model LE.
3. Like I mentioned in the other post 0-60 in 8 seconds for 2020 Highlander Hybrid. Sienna will likely be heavier but should be similar. Check out Alex on Autos review on the Highlander Hybrid:
4. Fall/Winter last year there were significant discounts on the 2019 models ($3500 cash if I remember correctly), and I'd suspect the same for the 2020s.
5. If this was a sedan then you might be able to get discounts as soon as it hits dealers, but I wouldn't expect any discounts in 2020 on the 2021 Sienna until dealer stock builds up probably sometime late spring or summer of 2021.
6. The powertrain is borrowed from Highlander so I wouldn't expect much hiccups with that. I'd agree likely there will be bugs in the 2021 Sienna. I'd probably opt for the extended warranty.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll offer my opinions:

1) The value of Safety Sense 2.0 depends on if one appreciates the extra safety features or not. Personally, I do.

2) My guess would be leather would be available on XLE trims and above, with the higher level trims gaining a premium leather option.

3) Performance will not be known until an actual production model is formally tested. Performance will depend on vehicle weight, tuning, and other factors. Many are hopeful we will eventually see a "Sienna Prime" model introduced.

4) I would not expect too significant of a price drop on the 2020s. They are getting harder to find. At the end of the 2019 model year (beginning of 2020), you could find higher rebates available on the outgoing Siennas (if you could still find one in the configuration you wanted).

5) I would expect normal negotiations would yield some discount on a 2021 (remember minivans are not the hottest selling segment). Rebates and special APR would follow in 6-9 months time.

6) I have had both a 2004 Sienna and 2006 RAV4 (both first year models). A few problems faced, but nothing that Toyota did not take care of under warranty. Typically a manufacturer makes minor adjustments as it learns about issues, even in the first year. So maybe you don't want vehicle 1-1000, but eventually the small stuff will be worked out throughout the first year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
We're still undecided about buying a 2020 model or waiting for the 2021 Sienna. Maybe some of you could offer helpful suggestions or comments?

1. Is the 2021 Safety Sense 2.0 (auto emergency braking, etc.?) worth waiting for?

2. Which versions of the 2020 model have leather seats available? We like leather seats.

3. I've run across many comments about the 2021 Hybrid likely being underpowered vs the 2021 V6, what are your thoughts?

4. Does anyone expect a significant price drop on 2020 models as the year progresses?

5. Does anyone expect any discounts on the newly introduced 2021s to encourage sales volume?

6. Part of me says the 2020 model has likely got all the 3rd generation bugs worked out by now. One would expect a lot of bugs in the new 2021.

Bob
I will offer my opinions as well:
1. As mentioned, depends on how much you value the additional technology. As far as I'm concerned, I would be treating these as driver aids, and wouldn't rely on them at all. I think the current iteration of TSS is more than adequate. However, if you like the new technology, it might be worth it to you. Keep in mind that the crashworthiness of the structural body will also be improved with the 2021, which in my opinion IS important.
2. I assume XLE and above.
3. Depends how much you value power. Cars have gotten increasingly powerful. I think the Highlander Hybrid has less power than the regular gas hybrid (used to be the case, not sure about the current model). I haven't heard many complaints about it being underpowered. I wouldn't be concerned.
4. 5. Hard to say, but probably the 2020s will be discounted once the dealers start receiving the 2021s. I wouldn't expect large discounts on the 2021.
6. Sort of. This generation has been around since 2011. However, the engine and transmission were updated for 2017. The new powertrain has had more than its fair share of complaints and I'm not aware of how Toyota solved the problem on the 2020s. I typically would be hesitant to buy the first year of a new model too, but Toyota's hybrid powertrains have been generally reliable.

I think it comes down to whether you want a normal gas powered V6, or you want a hybrid. I keep my cars a long time and don't drive a lot of miles so I don't really see the benefit of a hybrid, personally. If you think you want a 2021, I would probably go for that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll over my opinions:

1) The value of Safety Sense 2.0 depends on if one appreciates the extra safety features or not. Personally, I do.

2) My guess would be leather would be available on XLE trims and above, with the higher level trims gaining a premium leather option.

3) Performance will not be known until an actual production model is formally tested. Performance will depend on vehicle weight, tuning, and other factors. Many are hopeful we will eventually see a "Sienna Prime" model introduced.

4) I would not expect too significant of a price drop on the 2020s. They are getting harder to find. At the end of the 2019 model year (beginning of 2020), you could find higher rebates available on the outgoing Siennas (if you could still find one in the configuration you wanted).

5) I would expect normal negotiations would yield some discount on a 2021 (remember minivans are not the hottest selling segment). Rebates and special APR would follow in 6-9 months time.

6) I have had both a 2004 Sienna and 2006 RAV4 (both first year models). A few problems faced, but nothing that Toyota did not take care of under warranty. Typically a manufacturer makes minor adjustments as it learns about issues, even in the first year. So maybe you don't want vehicle 1-1000, but eventually the small stuff will be worked out throughout the first year.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, very good ideas.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For me, it came down to the collision testing. My wife will be driving my kids around in this thing. There is no way I would purchase a vehicle with marginal IIHS results like the 2020 Sienna. The 2021 Sienna will be on the TNGA platform which will significantly improve the collision testing. That alone makes it worth it to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me, it came down to the collision testing. My wife will be driving my kids around in this thing. There is no way I would purchase a vehicle with marginal IIHS results like the 2020 Sienna. The 2021 Sienna will be on the TNGA platform which will significantly improve the collision testing. That alone makes it worth it to me.
Good point, thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bingo. I usually blindly buy Toyota's but I was shocked to see how poorly it did. My dad had an 04 with 450k miles and now a 2018 Sienna. He was steering me towards a Sienna when I had my first child, glad I waited!

I'm a huge fan of Toyota's hybrid tech after owning a trouble free Prius for 150k (before it was given to my father in law).

We typically do a lot of idling too, especially now with COVID. So the hybrid powertrain will reduce idling time by a lot. On the Prius we could run AC for 20-30mins with 5mins or less of engine on time.

I will be putting the 19” TRD Camry wheels on a XSE. Photoshopped it in to cover the factory 20'' wheels, so the TRD Camry wheels will be a little smaller and there will be more sidewall, but that is OEM ride height.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TRD Camry wheels on the 2021 look tremendous. Would you buy them from the dealer? Do they take the stock wheels from the Sienna and give you a break on the price for the Camry wheels?

·
Registered
37 Posts
TRD Camry wheels on the 2021 look tremendous. Would you buy them from the dealer? Do they take the stock wheels from the Sienna and give you a break on the price for the Camry wheels?
yes, but I have a dealer connection to get ke a great price. You can probably sell stock XSE wheels easily to cover the majority of the cost as they are dark (trendy) and 20s.

confirmed with a few industry experts that the flow formed (a type of forging) TRD Camry wheels will easily support the GVWR of a Sienna.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Bob
If you can wait then do so. When the 2021’s hit the lots there will still be some 2020’s around for sale. If you like the 21 better than buy it and save the trade in hassle or if you don’t like it, you
will be able to make a great deal on a 2020, as the dealers will want them off the lot. That’s how I got a great deal on my 2019. It was the last 2019 on a lot full of 2020’s and the manager
wanted it gone. I say “wait if you can”, good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after a lot of thinking and review of the great comments here and elsewhere, we bought a new 2020 Sienna Limited Premium in their Salsa Red Pearl. Our Odyssey decided she would not cooperate any longer and we chose not to put any more money into her care and feeding. In the last 9 months or so, we have spent over half of what she is worth to keep her going - we decided she just wasn't worth it anymore. Thanks to a great group, I'll go hang out in the 3rd Generation group now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Op, why wait you say? Because there is always something better around the corner if you are patient. I heard toyota is looking to a v6 hybrid turbo motor to its line up. Wouldn't that be awesome if they trickle that down to a sienna in short order??

·
Registered
37 Posts
@DadWagon that looks awesome!

I just got an 2021 XSE AWD and am trying to do something similar.
The AWDs are 18", so I want to try and put on the 18" black wheels from the Camry Nightshade.

However, the offset for those is 50. I haven't been able to confirm if that will work with the Sienna AWD.
Any ideas?
They should work. OEM offsets are pretty conservative across the board. I just put TRD Camry wheels on my RAV4 Prime. No issues

1 - 15 of 15 Posts