Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed footwell lighting for the front and second-row seats? I'm not looking for anything that flashes to the beat of the bass or changes colors. I'm not that cool... haha There's so much dark space in the back and the kids complain they can't see their toys or things on the floor while driving at night.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Great idea... gonna have to see what the suggestions are.

Offhand maybe some LED strips that plug into USB slot or puck like LED lights you can turn off/on [or always on or on by motion but that might be distracting] that are powered by AAA batteries.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I installed OPT7 Aura Interior light strips in my old van. If your willing to do some work, like wiring to fuses or hiding wires, then I think its the best way. The light strips has a full spectrum of lights as well as the flashing variants which i never use. Comes with a main remote to power it, select color, style, brightness, etc. and a mini remote to only turn it on and off. Kit comes with EVERYTHING you need, sans tools, but it includes wiretaps and double sided adhesives.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mind doing a little work if the instructions that come with said project hold my hand through the entire process, HA! However, I was hoping there was something that would work with the interior ambient lights that automatically come on at night. Too many remotes clutter the interior, get lost, and eventually, the batteries explode.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't mind doing a little work if the instructions that come with said project hold my hand through the entire process, HA! However, I was hoping there was something that would work with the interior ambient lights that automatically come on at night. Too many remotes clutter the interior, get lost, and eventually, the batteries explode.
Its not hard per se, but its just a bit time consuming. I usually leave them on. Set it and forget it.

Im sure you can wire the 12v to the interior light wire and trigger it that way, but more involved. More potential to muck it up.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD Tech
297 Posts
Just a quick note about the lights using the cigarette USB port. jays3l33t on this board installed one of these and it messed up the sensors for LTA, pre-collision, etc ... basically the Toyota Sense 2.0 stop working so be careful.

·
Registered
49 Posts
😢 i can confirm about this
I plugged in a rhythm light(sound sensitive) into the cigarret usb port
It was fine for a while then suddently one day my pre-collision yellow light came on
pre-collision, Lta, cruise control all shows unavaiable on the dashboard
Took it to the dealer, they couldn't find the problem and blamed it on my aftermarket tail light
One day I un-plugggd this rhythm light from the usb port
everything back to normal

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm trying to find the wiring to the headlights controller (sorry dunno the terminology) and tap the footwell lighting to. atm I have it tapped into the that under center cargo in front light and it doesn't provide enough power when the car is in drive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm no expert, but those LED lights are usually 12V while, USB is 5V. You MIGHT be able to run them, but then you run in to problems like Jays. I wouldn't run them directly off the footwell light, but find a way to trigger it with the footwell light lead thru a relay.

I think this is how it would work; Ground to relay to LED ground. 12v to relay to LED. Then trigger wire to Relay. So when your footwell lights get power, the relay will trigger giving the LED power. When the lights go off, the LEDs go off too.

This should work for any light source, you can probably run it thru the interior lights too. I dabble in automation at work so it should work with some tinkering. As always. Do it at your own risk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts