Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has a front bike rack been tried on a Gen 2 Sienna? I'd love to mount a hitch to the front and carry at least 2 bikes there when towing my tent trailer.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,340 Posts
I've not seen one for a van before. While there is a sturdy cross-beam up front (the floor jack liftpoint), it is very low to the ground. It would take some custom fabrication to attach to it and not further compromise front clearance.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Have you considered carrying your bikes on your tent trailer? Google something like "bike rack for tent trailer" - see attached image of search results. There are even receiver hitches that fit the ass of some tent trailers that would allow plugging in a hitch mount bike rack.

Bike racks for tent trailers.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great suggestions above. I've also seen some bike racks that have a receiver built in so you can tow a small trailer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Clearance, I’m imagining a front hitch that would extend from a custom cut in the front grill or bumper. Wondering if anyone out there has had one built.

All options of mounting bikes to trailer would also require custom work.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The only place I see where it might possible to attach a hitch receiver is on the bottom of the bumper beam. Maybe a full service hitch company could fabricate a hitch receiver that could somehow attach to the bumper beam. I doubt if the front end of the gen 2 Sienna behind the bumper cover is much if any different from that of the gen 3. Attached is a photo of my 2014 with the front bumper cover off. A custom receiver might have to stick out pretty far forward through the bumper cover in order for you to be able to insert a pin to hold a bike rack on.

A receiver hitch has to be very securely attached to a vehicle. A loaded hitch mount bike rack can get pretty heavy and induce significant up and down force while moving. I'm pretty sure that my fully loaded 4-bike bike rack weighs well over 150 pounds although I'm carrying mainly heavier mountain and hybrid bikes - probably around 30 pounds per bike.

I'm wondering how visibility from the driver seat would be affected. Would the bikes cover any portion of the headlights or turn signals? At least carrying bikes on the front might absorb some of the impact from hitting deer (and pedestrians)!

What about carrying bikes on your Sienna's roof? That would be far easier and maybe cheaper than F'ing up your front bumper cover and having a custom receiver hitch fabricated. I was planning to buy a two bike carriers to fit roof cross bars so I could carry a total of 6 bikes but haven't yet due to an injury screwing up my cycling activity.

Headlight washer pump location.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, visibility is definitely a good point here. Other than carrying little kid bikes up front, the low-slung Sienna might not allow for anything else there!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here's the front end of an '04, second generation. The metal of the bumper is well buried behind the plastic cover and the styrofoam bumper cover. The issue with bikes in front is the amount of bugs and dirt etc that build up on the bikes, that's not to mention visibility, access to check the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has a front bike rack been tried on a Gen 2 Sienna? I'd love to mount a hitch to the front and carry at least 2 bikes there when towing my tent trailer.
I tow a pop up and use one of those bike racks that sits on the bumper, works well. I even put a tandem on the rack.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I welded a harbor freight hitch

to the bottom of the front bumper. Works great for bike carrier or spare tire carrier (I have an AWD which doesn't have a mount for a spare tire).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
3 Posts
2010 AWD I welded it all around and afterward stood on it and jumped up and down and I weigh 220 lbs so I think I'll be fine. I do have another larger hitch I could weld on with a much larger surface area but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
looks solid. I would like to do something similar with my 2008 AWD. Any additional pictures? What does it look like with the front end back on?

·
Registered
293 Posts
When looking for options , be careful and realize. Most trailers aren't meant to have a hitch put on the rear bumper. They crack and fall off taking the whole bumper with them. I didn't heed that warning and nearly lost mine. I've since got racks for the roof. I am however a big burly guy when it comes to putting them up there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts