Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Sienna 2006 CE. I want to change my front brakes (rotors and pads) but I'm doubting between Toyota stock ones and the aftermarket ones. It's not about the price but the reliability, comfort and performance. I don't use the car on an everyday basis, usually, I need it 3-4 times a week, some weekend trips or long road trips. So I was wandering between the stock stuff and Akebono ACT906A/B ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Pad Set for pads PLUS Raybestos 980077 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor. In the same time, I found DBC Black Kote Brake Rotors with Premium Ceramic Brake Pads SET.
I just want to know is it possible the aftermarket rotors and pad to overpass the OEM ones as a performance and comfort.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2004 with 230k miles. I have normally used ceramic brake pads and rotors from Advanced Auto like Carquest Wearever Gold or Platinum sets because they came with a rebate.

Carquest pads usually last me two years or so. I've never used the warranty so I just get new ones.

I just now had my front rotors and pads replaced using parts from rockauto.com which are cheaper than Advanced even after the rebate. I'm trying Raybestos pads and Durago rotors and they are working fine for me now. Will they last two years? Time will tell but for now they are fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgot. Parts from rock auto were $83.84 with shipping. Advanced are $163.96 before their normal online discount of 20% so really only $131.17. Both have warranties and I have a good mechanic who charges $30 per tire for installation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Akebono are great pads. On some they are the oem. The Raybestos AT are replaced with the FZN. Round out spect at less than +/- 0.002” that is the OEM spec. It should be fine. Raybestos tech line is very helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't speak to the ones you listed, but I put "Lifetime Warranty" brakes on my Sienna about 4 years ago and they squeak and squawk like I'm strangling a goose every time i back out of the drive. I'd suggest never choosing the "lifetime" models. I guess they're just made from those angry gees that people "yeet" on youtube videos.

·
Registered
125 Posts
From someone with almost 320K on their 2004, I've had the opportunity to try several different brake pad solutions. A few thoughts...

Tried Akebono and they work fine.
Ceramic just don't do it for me. I felt like the initial grab was weak until they had gotten up to temperature. Great if you like low dust though.
BUT...
I just recently tried the new Centric Posi-Quiet PRO (not to be confused with their older Posi-Quiet ceramic offering), and oh my goodness, as close to the holy-grail of brake pads that I've ever used. Great initial grab, and stays strong and well modulated through the entire range of braking. Virtually no change over temperature. Can't say a enough good things about these pads. Might be a bit dusty, but totally worth it. Reasonably priced as well.

You also can't go wrong with Centric rotors. Reasonable price and accurate.

I've probably had my hands on 20 of these over the years of maintaining older cars, and never one single problem. Just make sure you always verify and/or dial in the runout when mounting a new rotor. Even three thousandths (+/-0.003") is too much. Really need to try and get it below (+/- 0.001").

Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
25 Posts
My '04 used to chew through rotors and pads. I switched to Autozone's Duralast Gold (high carbon fiber content) and the corresponding Duralast Max ceramic pads. Two years and about 20K later, I haven't had any issues with brake fade or warped rotors due to overheating. Some things to keep in mind - the carbon fiber rotors take a bit longer to "bite" when cold. We're used to it now and just brake a second or two earlier when the vehicle is cold. Overall, well worth the investment and relatively cheap/easy to upgrade. There's a 20% coupon on the Autozone website as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a tad bit of clarification on the autozone rotor... it’s actually just “high” carbon steel. No carbon “fiber” involved at all. Just means that these rotors have a slightly higher carbon content than the typical rotor and thus a bit “harder.” Autozone is definitely a retail shop, so unless you take advantage of their 20% offers, rockauto will definitely beat their prices. Even with shipping, a pair of high carbon Centric rotors from Rock is still a few bucks cheaper than the discounted Autozone version.

Also, the delay in cold “bite” is from the ceramic pad. You shouldn’t really notice any performance difference with a high carbon rotor, other than they may wear a bit better.

JFWIW

·
Registered
19 Posts
my experience has been the sienna always warps the rotors if they are aftermarket rotors. Another question; why didn't they put enough meat on the oem rotors so that you can turn them. factory states no resurfacing..only replace

·
Registered
48 Posts
Another question; why didn't they put enough meat on the oem rotors so that you can turn them. factory states no resurfacing..only replace
They've gotten so cheap now that resurfacing doesn't really happen anymore that I've seen. It's just replacement.

It's a waste, in my mind, but that's the way it's been for the last 10 years or so at least with the vehicles I've been driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They've gotten so cheap now that resurfacing doesn't really happen anymore that I've seen. It's just replacement.

It's a waste, in my mind, but that's the way it's been for the last 10 years or so at least with the vehicles I've been driving.
They also do this for less weight to the vehicle is what a parts store told me once. Also dealer shops make their money from maintaining the vehicle not from selling it, so if it's made thinner it will need to be changed sooner. More cost to you and more money in their pocket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a tad bit of clarification on the autozone rotor... it’s actually just “high” carbon steel. No carbon “fiber” involved at all. Just means that these rotors have a slightly higher carbon content than the typical rotor and thus a bit “harder.” Autozone is definitely a retail shop, so unless you take advantage of their 20% offers, rockauto will definitely beat their prices. Even with shipping, a pair of high carbon Centric rotors from Rock is still a few bucks cheaper than the discounted Autozone version.

Also, the delay in cold “bite” is from the ceramic pad. You shouldn’t really notice any performance difference with a high carbon rotor, other than they may wear a bit better.

JFWIW
One of my neighbors worked for Autozone for many years. He was working there when Brembo supplied the carbon rotors to AZ which then rebranded it as their own. Originally, demand was much higher than expected, so Brembo rushed out orders and left in their brand name (either in a stamp or sticker IIRC). Not sure if Brembo is still the supplier as my buddy left AZ about 5 years ago.

The "bite" is definitely from the new rotors and is still there after 20K miles. I had the same type of ceramic pads on OEM rotors on the Sienna and also on OEM rotors on a '12 Camry SE. No issue with the delayed bite on either system. BTW, I am so impressed with this combo that I am going to replace the rotors on the Camry with the AZ carbon rotors when I next swap out the pads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts