Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the USA version of sienna 2022 limited has 360 bird eye view? I saw a lot of videos about the Canada version has the front camera but couldn’t get enough info about the US version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The cameras on the Sienna are quite poor quality compared to most other makes. Image is fuzzy. Toyota really cheaped out on the cameras. On my Model Y, the cameras are HD quality and very crisp.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree. Even I feel my 2016 Honda Accord camera is better than Toyota.
question: Why do they need to be high resolution? in the overhead view, its supposed to show you where stuff is around you, not a highly detailed image of it. same with the backup cam. its good enough that you can see everything clearly. I don't need to see the blades of grass on the other side of the street.

Another big reason why the quality seems so low is because the infotainment screen resolution is terrible. like, Toyota is happy to tell you the size of the display, but they try and hide the resolution. I believe the smaller 8 inch with the buttons on the side is 720p, and the larger is something close to 1080p. That means that even if they had a nice camera, its gonna look like shit on the screen from 20 years ago. Its really maddening that they went and cheaped out in the most visible place in the entire car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The cameras on the Sienna are quite poor quality compared to most other makes. Image is fuzzy. Toyota really cheaped out on the cameras. On my Model Y, the cameras are HD quality and very crisp.
No they’re not. Tesla cameras are some of the worst ever put on a vehicle. They’re the exact reason FSD will never happen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No they’re not. Tesla cameras are some of the worst ever put on a vehicle. They’re the exact reason FSD will never happen.
You are claiming the Toyota Sienna cameras are higher quality than the Tesla cameras? I have both cars, and I'm sorry to say you are very wrong. Do you have a Tesla? If we're talking about FSD, I'm pretty sure the Sienna will 100% never get any form of FSD anyway, so don't understand what your point is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are claiming the Toyota Sienna cameras are higher quality than the Tesla cameras? I have both cars, and I'm sorry to say you are very wrong. Do you have a Tesla? If we're talking about FSD, I'm pretty sure the Sienna will 100% never get any form of FSD anyway, so don't understand what your point is.
I never said that, you just did. Not only do I have 3 Teslas, a 3, a S and a X. I’ve been a Tesla customer since 2015. How bout you? Tesla doesn’t have FSD either. Never has, and now that radar is gone, it never will. So that’s my point. You can be as big a fanboi as you want to be, but the facts are the facts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I never said that, you just did. Not only do I have 3 Teslas, a 3, a S and a X. I’ve been a Tesla customer since 2015. How bout you? Tesla doesn’t have FSD either. Never has, and now that radar is gone, it never will. So that’s my point. You can be as big a fanboi as you want to be, but the facts are the facts.
If you want to be rude, I can also be rude. Your original reply to me said the Tesla cameras are "some of the worst" on any vehicle. I didn't make any mention of FSD. I never said FSD is feasible on any car in the near future. Please read my post again since you seem to have some comprehension issues. My original comment simply said that the camera on the Sienna is crap quality compared to the quality on the Tesla. I have a hard time believing anyone would dispute that. I've been the owner of a Model Y since Feb 2022, but I'm not sure how that's relevant.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I worked and currently also working on AD/ADAS platform for over 7 plus year. Also have intimate knowledge on Tesla platform and sensors they are working on (it’s a super small circle- the head of Tesla imaging radar is someone I used to work with from my fruit days).

1.Sienna camera was never intended to be used for object detection/classification like Tesla camera is used for. Also the issues with resolution isn’t fully due to the camera sensor/module- it mainly has to do with lens and ISP tuning. It’s just not intended to be used for ADAS purpose.

2.That being said-tesla camera for purpose of vision system is just adequate. I wouldn’t call it great. 1.2M tri-cam is so so. Given that industry have already shipped or in process of shipping 8.2M front cam. Ex. Ultra Cruise from GM 2023 will have a 8.2M for the front. I don’t want to even discuss how outdated the side view camera is. Given pretty much every EV startup has better wings, side, and rear cameras.

3. Tesla is far far behind on self driving tech. It’s current platform will never reach the safety level required for L4 operation. I went thru FMVSS validation for over 3 years on a commercialized platform. That was with over 7M miles operating in full AV mode. Given Tesla has literally 0 miles, with no data in dealing with multiple redundancy. Ain’t going to happen anytime soon.

4. Elon ego really gets in the way with his ambition on Robotaxi- it would be quiet interesting in 6 months when NHTSA makes final recall and lawsuits that follows it. Whether is the 6 deaths it caused in US, and lawsuits that the current cars with FSD feature can’t never achieve L4 as current platform wouldn’t meet ASIL D requirement.

5. Abandoning Lidar and favoring imaging radar is a mistake. Elon unfounded bias against Lidar put Tesla in a huge hole. As VCSEL Lidar is cheaper, faster response, higher resolution, and easier to pkg. I can do localized focus scan and zoom out again. That isn’t something can be easily done with imaging radar. Fully solid state Lidar is just so much more efficient.

6. Computing platform- in general having your own silicon design team is a great idea (look at my old company $400M investment) which has killed off Intel. But leadership team and direction must be good to lead and drive innovation. HW 4.0 will be outdated as soon as it’s released this year. I know Elon was making fun of Nvidia. But they have already caught up and actually now running at 2x-4x processing power (it also killed off Intel x86 blade in process). HW 4.0 will be running just below 450 TOPs.

Tesla isn’t anywhere close and is actually in need to catch up soon.

No- I don’t work for Tesla. Never did. Just this circle is super small.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want to be rude, I can also be rude. Your original reply to me said the Tesla cameras are "some of the worst" on any vehicle. I didn't make any mention of FSD. I never said FSD is feasible on any car in the near future. Please read my post again since you seem to have some comprehension issues. My original comment simply said that the camera on the Sienna is crap quality compared to the quality on the Tesla. I have a hard time believing anyone would dispute that. I've been the owner of a Model Y since Feb 2022, but I'm not sure how that's relevant.
You can be rude, AND wrong all at the same time. I can explain it, I can’t make you understand it. The cameras on the Tesla are HORRIFIC. Yes, the Sienna camera sucks too. Difference is that Tesla puts people’s lives in jeopardy. Sienna uses cameras to back up. Tesla’s shit cameras are supposed to keep you safe. They don’t. Sienna has radar, NO Tesla does. Enough said….sorry you drank the kool-aid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I worked and currently also working on AD/ADAS platform for over 7 plus year. Also have intimate knowledge on Tesla platform and sensors they are working on (it’s a super small circle- the head of Tesla imaging radar is someone I used to work with from my fruit days).

1.Sienna camera was never intended to be used for object detection/classification like Tesla camera is used for. Also the issues with resolution isn’t fully due to the camera sensor/module- it mainly has to do with lens and ISP tuning. It’s just not intended to be used for ADAS purpose.

2.That being said-tesla camera for purpose of vision system is just adequate. I wouldn’t call it great. 1.2M tri-cam is so so. Given that industry have already shipped or in process of shipping 8.2M front cam. Ex. Ultra Cruise from GM 2023 will have a 8.2M for the front. I don’t want to even discuss how outdated the side view camera is. Given pretty much every EV startup has better wings, side, and rear cameras.

3. Tesla is far far behind on self driving tech. It’s current platform will never reach the safety level required for L4 operation. I went thru FMVSS validation for over 3 years on a commercialized platform. That was with over 7M miles operating in full AV mode. Given Tesla has literally 0 miles, with no data in dealing with multiple redundancy. Ain’t going to happen anytime soon.

4. Elon ego really gets in the way with his ambition on Robotaxi- it would be quiet interesting in 6 months when NHTSA makes final recall and lawsuits that follows it. Whether is the 6 deaths it caused in US, and lawsuits that the current cars with FSD feature can’t never achieve L4 as current platform wouldn’t meet ASIL D requirement.

5. Abandoning Lidar and favoring imaging radar is a mistake. Elon unfounded bias against Lidar put Tesla in a huge hole. As VCSEL Lidar is cheaper, faster response, higher resolution, and easier to pkg. I can do localized focus scan and zoom out again. That isn’t something can be easily done with imaging radar. Fully solid state Lidar is just so much more efficient.

6. Computing platform- in general having your own silicon design team is a great idea (look at my old company $400M investment) which has killed off Intel. But leadership team and direction must be good to lead and drive innovation. HW 4.0 will be outdated as soon as it’s released this year. I know Elon was making fun of Nvidia. But they have already caught up and actually now running at 2x-4x processing power (it also killed off Intel x86 blade in process). HW 4.0 will be running just below 450 TOPs.

Tesla isn’t anywhere close and is actually in need to catch up soon.

No- I don’t work for Tesla. Never did. Just this circle is super small.
Couldn’t agree more. TL/DR is Tesla is crap…..just now the rest of the world is catching on. Even worse for Tesla, is the Government is catching on to the fraud as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can be rude, AND wrong all at the same time. I can explain it, I can’t make you understand it. The cameras on the Tesla are HORRIFIC. Yes, the Sienna camera sucks too. Difference is that Tesla puts people’s lives in jeopardy. Sienna uses cameras to back up. Tesla’s shit cameras are supposed to keep you safe. They don’t. Sienna has radar, NO Tesla does. Enough said….sorry you drank the kool-aid.
Well, you're just an ass so I'm going to talk to you that way, since it seems you aren't able to speak civilly. I don't understand why you're talking about FSD. This isn't a Tesla forum. I thought we were talking about Sienna here. I am saying that the Tesla camera picture quality is significantly better than the Sienna's. I am reminded of this every time I put the Sienna into reverse. This is also true of any modern German car. I don't care to discuss what Tesla cars use the cameras for. That is irrelevant to this forum. So even though you seem to hate on Tesla quite a bit, I don't care.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts