Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took our 2005 in for a recall warranty repair. By sound I knew I had an exhaust issue somewhere (nice throaty sound). Also have ABS and TPMS lights on (wheel speed sensors) so I knew they would want to suggest thousands of dollars of work, which I refused.

However, they said for my exhaust I needed a new "front pipe and gasket". $800. Is the front pipe just the one coming off front of engine in front of radiator and curves down under engine? One in pic below? If that it I could do that myself I suspect.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
883 Posts
No , what you have squared out in red is the catalytic converter , just behind the radiator and is the one that is clearly visible when you open the hood. The exhaust manifold and the converter is one piece. Its is possible they were talking about 800-041. You can take a listen if you bend down just a bit with the engine running to identify exactly where the leak is. It could also be possible that all you need is a gasket if the pipe does not have a hole.
Walker 31332 avail on amazon ..under 5 bucks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ask an independent shop. Depending what's wrong often you can weld and replace just the damage bit. A length of pipe, flex pipe etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a similar sound not long ago, it was the 256-1121 gasket. Had to climb under with the engine running to isolate it.
it was an 8 dollar part.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Usually, the flex-pipe part is what rusts through. Since it was a dealer, they aren't typically welding in an exhaust section, like a typical chain muffler shop or an old-school mechanic would do. So, they are changing out the whole thing, at a dealer cost of something like $400 and then charging for (probably) 3 hours of labor. They aren't cutting you a deal because they suggested the wheel speed sensor(s) and you refused. They know you probably won't be back, even if you have the work done there, so they aren't making volume profit on your vehicle, so you get the book rate and the retail price of the part(s). If you take it to a regular mechanic that you trust, it will probably be $400-500, unless your exhaust is totally rusted out.

As a side note, you really should fix your ABS/TPMS issue. 😁

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt take them up on the $135 diagnostic fee for the ABS. Its a an old van and assuming since its ABS I assumed it going to be expensive. The TPMS was the wheel speed sensors, one of which in rear hub. I might be able to do that one myself. In that gray zone where costs of repair not worth it. Front pipe is $90 on Rock Auto. Again, might do myself.

As a side note, you really should fix your ABS/TPMS issue. 😁

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took our 2005 in for a recall warranty repair. By sound I knew I had an exhaust issue somewhere (nice throaty sound). Also have ABS and TPMS lights on (wheel speed sensors) so I knew they would want to suggest thousands of dollars of work, which I refused.

However, they said for my exhaust I needed a new "front pipe and gasket". $800. Is the front pipe just the one coming off front of engine in front of radiator and curves down under engine? One in pic below? If that it I could do that myself I suspect.

Thanks all!

View attachment 46235

Thanks all!

View attachment 46235
It probably is the Flex Pipe in the 800-041 part. Check out a good independent muffler shop and it can be done for under $150. I've had them done on a number of different Toyotas and what I mentioned was actually a little more than I paid.Don't take it to Midas or a franchise place find a local independent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As others have said, they are referring to part number 800-041. My Sienna has 240,000 miles and I have replaced that pipe three times. Each time it starts to leak at the flexible section and eventually will make a lot of noise. Replacing it isn't bad. Bolts can be rusty, but everything is straight forward in the replacement. You may want to also purchase a new donut and spring kit for the flexible coupler. All parts are available for a reasonable price at RockAuto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts