Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time to replace my front Struts or shocks for my 2004 Toyota Sienna CE 8 seater. I cant get from the website or anywhere a struts for 8 seater as it only available for 7 seaters. Not sure the difference but need help if I can use the struts for 7 seater, mine is 8 seater? Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rockauto has great prices, but if you have a problem and want to ship it back, expect to be treated badly. As long as everything is fine, then everything is fine. Have a problem,... and it's not so fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got real lucky and got brand new strut plus the whole assemblies from amazon they were returned because the box was marked wrong.. meaning one box said it was for the right side but really for the left. and same as the other $38 bucks each and free prime shipping :) I still have not installed them yet but soon. So they are marked used but never installed.

KYB SR4145 Strut Plus Complete Corner Unit Assembly

Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc

Return window closed on Apr 27, 2019

$38.83

Condition: Used - Very Good - Small cosmetic imperfection on top, front or sides of item. Missing manual. Item will come repackaged.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think 8 seater is lower than 7 seater, because AWD option is only available on 7 seater.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a note. Some of us have had issue with the KYB front strut assemblies for the 2004 - 2006 MY. KYB SR4177, SR4178. The spring collapses on itself when hitting bumps and makes a clunking / grinding noise. There is another thread on this site in the Gen 2 maintenance and repairs section title KYB front strut. I would suggest you review this before purchasing that product. If I had to do it again I would steer clear of their full strut assembly and only by less the springs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The eight passenger and the AWD use the same parts, if you check part numbers at Rockauto .com this will become apparent. No you don't want to use FWD parts as they are shorter, and you will lose ground clearance and tire clearance on the front strut. The rear as well.

I know this only from many hours of searching, in order to raise my FWD by using AWD parts. It did in fact raise the car almost an inch. so if you want to have to use shorter tires and have less ground clearance...

The issue with the "quick strut" (full assembly makes change out quick and easy) from KYB is the same as the Monroe. I know this because I bought Monroe, hoping they would have the correct number of spring windings vs the KYB. Both companies have an extra coil. So if you want to avoid this you should, as another pointed out, buy your strut and springs seperately and assemble them yourself—this is assuming Moog or the orher suppliers of springs have the correct number of coils to the spring.
I only have about 1000 miles on my Monroes and have not had an issue of bottoming out the front springs. Had I to do it over again I would buy KYB. If you want KYB quick struts you should search Tirerack .com as Rockauto doesn't have the 8 pass/AWD models. The Monroes feel like driving a Buick—which on top of Toyota's already soft suspension is an accomplishment...

Old parts are FWD, New parts are AWD. The Monroe rear shocks were easier to compress than my stock original KYB with 138k miles on them.

IMG_3751.jpg IMG_3759.JPG

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a note. Some of us have had issue with the KYB front strut assemblies for the 2004 - 2006 MY. KYB SR4177, SR4178. The spring collapses on itself when hitting bumps and makes a clunking / grinding noise. There is another thread on this site in the Gen 2 maintenance and repairs section title KYB front strut. I would suggest you review this before purchasing that product. If I had to do it again I would steer clear of their full strut assembly and only by less the springs.

Oh, great! I wish I had seen this sooner! I just installed the driver side, and getting ready to do the passenger side with exactly these struts!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just installed the KYB SR4144 and SR4145 complete strut assemblies in my 08 FWD and have no clunking issues. Only issue is the top mount nuts that came with the right strut were way too tight so I had to reuse the old nuts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The eight passenger and the AWD use the same parts, if you check part numbers at Rockauto .com this will become apparent. No you don't want to use FWD parts as they are shorter, and you will lose ground clearance and tire clearance on the front strut. The rear as well.

I know this only from many hours of searching, in order to raise my FWD by using AWD parts. It did in fact raise the car almost an inch. so if you want to have to use shorter tires and have less ground clearance...

The issue with the "quick strut" (full assembly makes change out quick and easy) from KYB is the same as the Monroe. I know this because I bought Monroe, hoping they would have the correct number of spring windings vs the KYB. Both companies have an extra coil. So if you want to avoid this you should, as another pointed out, buy your strut and springs seperately and assemble them yourself—this is assuming Moog or the orher suppliers of springs have the correct number of coils to the spring.
I only have about 1000 miles on my Monroes and have not had an issue of bottoming out the front springs. Had I to do it over again I would buy KYB. If you want KYB quick struts you should search Tirerack .com as Rockauto doesn't have the 8 pass/AWD models. The Monroes feel like driving a Buick—which on top of Toyota's already soft suspension is an accomplishment...

Old parts are FWD, New parts are AWD. The Monroe rear shocks were easier to compress than my stock original KYB with 138k miles on them.

View attachment 44795 View attachment 44796 View attachment 44795 View attachment 44796
Ronji thankyou for the AWD = 8 = taller info totally appreciate it, I have a 8 pass 13 xle with 100k coming up soon and so wanted to update the suspension. Will look for AWD stuff so that I am sure it is the correct length. One Q is the AWD a firmer ride than 8 pass or one and the same?

Lately I have noticed that front and back suspension seems a bit softer than it used to be while going over those nasty speed bumps!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh, great! I wish I had seen this sooner! I just installed the driver side, and getting ready to do the passenger side with exactly these struts!
BlueRidgeMark - The kYB strut by itself seems fine. (If you just purchased the strut assembly less the springs), It is KYB's spring that is the issue. I would buy or reuse the OEM spring depending on condition.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info Guys. I bought it from RockAuto and haven't installed yet. My worries is I only bought the front right(passenger) side for the 8 passenger since that is the only problem. I hope it will not cause an issue later since I will not change the left(driver) side?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Horse, I would not recommend changing only one side. Things like brakes, tires, and shocks/struts should always be replaced in pairs. Your directional stability can be compromised otherwise.

(If you have AWD, tires should always be replace all 4 at a time.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
BlueRidgeMark - The kYB strut by itself seems fine. (If you just purchased the strut assembly less the springs), It is KYB's spring that is the issue. I would buy or reuse the OEM spring depending on condition.
Too late. I bought the whole assembly, and the driver side is installed. My compressor died, so the passenger side is waiting on a new one I plan to pick up tomorrow.\

I will just have to see how it goes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts