Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AWD Platinum, and after 478 miles, I'm getting around 30 mpg. Now I have done a fair amount of idling while fiddling with settings and stuff, but just watching my numbers on the trip summaries lately, I really don't think I'm going to get 35 mpg. Been trying ECO mode for the past couple of days, doesn't seem to make any difference according to my trip summaries. I'm kind of surprised, because I'm a pretty conservative driver and usually meet or beat EPA ratings on my vehicles.

How's everybody else doing? Does ECO yield any noticeable difference compared to normal driving mode?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have an AWD Platinum, and after 478 miles, I'm getting around 30 mpg. Now I have done a fair amount of idling while fiddling with settings and stuff, but just watching my numbers on the trip summaries lately, I really don't think I'm going to get 35 mpg. Been trying ECO mode for the past couple of days, doesn't seem to make any difference according to my trip summaries. I'm kind of surprised, because I'm a pretty conservative driver and usually meet or beat EPA ratings on my vehicles.

How's everybody else doing? Does ECO yield any noticeable difference compared to normal driving mode?
i would give it a few months to break in the engine. Also keep in mind you are using a winter blend of gasoline and your tires have their highest rolling resistance. If come Summer you still get 30, well that may be more of an issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve been getting 34 mpg, but since it turned colder I’m now down to 31. This is mostly city driving. Drive a mile and stoplight, drive 2 miles and stoplight etc etc. I’m rather impressed by the mileage. One time early on, I filled up and drove 25 miles on the hwy at about 65 and the gauge was showing 37. I think we need the warm weather where the engine isn’t always running to keep the cab warm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with the engine staying on to keep the cab warm. Turned the climate control off and got better has mileage as it ran on electric more often. Also on winter tires and winter gas. I'm in Canada and usually drop about 20-30% gas mileage in winter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’ve found I get the best gas mileage on longer highway trips. My best was 41 mpg when going about 50 mph and 33 mpg going about 70 mph. Mileage is much worse on shorter trips with lots of stop and go. Maybe mid 20’s.
My theory is the Atkinson cycle makes highway driving very efficient. All the wintertime heating makes short trips rather inefficient, despite the regenerative breaking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm getting 35mpg in New England. Mostly city driving. My tires are at 38psi. The dealer prob didn't let the air out in their PDI and I keep forgetting to do it. Maybe I'll just keep the air pressure that way since it's comfortable enough and I'm getting good mpg. I also like to keep it in sport mode, but I don't drive like a douche...Maybe have a lot of hills in your area?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Our 2020 Rav4 hybrid got 39-40mpg all summer, and now that it's winter in Wisconsin temps (15-32F), we've can't beat 35mpg. So i expect your mpg will go up, unless you're in a warm climate already

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took a 800 mile round trip in my 2021 XSE AWD on interstates and highways (70-80 mph) and I averaged 29 mpg in ECO mode. This was in Wisconsin with a fully loaded payload (three kids, dog, bags, etc...). I gotta say, I'm a little dissapointed in the fuel efficiency. Any ideas as to what's going on? I have just over 1k miles now after this trip. Any ideas as to the poor performance? Tires are all at 40psi.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just took a 800 mile round trip in my 2021 XSE AWD on interstates and highways (70-80 mph) and I averaged 29 mpg in ECO mode. This was in Wisconsin with a fully loaded payload (three kids, dog, bags, etc...). I gotta say, I'm a little dissapointed in the fuel efficiency. Any ideas as to what's going on? I have just over 1k miles now after this trip. Any ideas as to the poor performance? Tires are all at 40psi.
It’s cold and you are using a winter blend with new tires and a new engine. Shave 20% off your 36 and there you have it, 29. Would not expect you to sustain 30+ with a full payload until spring.
enjoy your new ride and don’t worry about the MPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in Wisconsin. Our 2020 Rav4 hybrid got 39-40mpg all summer, and only gets 34-35mpg now. Expect your MPG to go up in spring.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
126 Posts
I’m only a week or so in, but I’m getting the same as you all, just about exactly 30. My normal drives are 45-70mph. On my shorter trips where i don’t get above 45mph I’m getting closer to 40mpg, but it’s the Highway driving that is lowering it for me. Seems like I’m spending a lot of time in EV mode below about 35mph, so i think that is what accounts for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some youtube testers say its below 30mpg in real world testing. coming from a 2010 Prius V with promised numbers of 50mpg+ and getting 35mpg, Id say thats an improvement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think you can get over 30mpg going 80mph in a Honda Civic let alone a 5000lb brick like the Sienna. Lol. Try 65-70mph. It's all aerodynamics at high speeds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Id be very lucky to get that in a 2009 3.5L v6 Honda Pilot. I get like 10-13 on a max range of 270mi maybe, 4 people in car, no luggage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Minnesota. I traded a 2018 Pilot with a V6 engine for the 2021 Sienna XLE. Winter driving around town with the Pilot, I would get about 19 mpg, summer was about 23. With the Sienna, I am getting anywhere from 30 mpg at the lowest to 35 mpg. Haven’t found out yet what summer will achieve.
I am so far quite happy with a greater than 50% increase in mileage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had my FWD Limited for ten days and put 300 miles on it. The computer is showing 36.1 mpg and 350 miles of range left with all driving in town. The gauge still shows almost 3/4 of the tank left. It's very impressive for a new van before the engine is even broken in.

My previous Pacifica would get around 24 mpg (EPA was 19 mpg city). Like Blaker55, I'm seeing a 50% increase. We have a 2nd home in the mountains 200 miles away. The Pacifica would easily make it up and back on one tank. This Sienna would probably make it back up again. Wow...

I'm in Tucson so the weather doesn't get that cold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been leaving it in Eco mode, no matter what kind of driving. Should I leave it there or normal? Maybe use "Sport" for getting on the freeway?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took mine on a 200 mile trip up and 200 miles down from the mountains. The roads are mostly two lane with some 6% to 8% grades with speed limits of 55 to 65 mph. When I got home the computer showed 38.4 mpg with 265 miles of range left. My previous Pacifica would do that trip with 28 mpg and not much range left when I got back. Climbing the 8% grades was no more noisy than the V6 in the Pacifica and the Sienna was not slow at all up those hills. I took this trip with just me in the Sienna, so no load to deal with.

One thing I noticed in the Sienna, compared to the first video above, is the Sienna will switch to EV mode (I run Normal mode) on slightly downhill or level roads at 50 mph or more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts