Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Sienna AWD usually gets 18 MPG on trips when we keep within speed limits. On a trip last week we saw the same until I added mid grade gas 3 times. I saw 30 and 33 on what appeared to be level terrain and kept the speed below 65 due to traffic conditions. One 33 calculation was manual, not by the built in indicator.
I have seen many articles about using the lowest grade and there being no benefit in using mid or premium.
Anyone else seen this, or did we just drive too slow?

·
Registered
244 Posts
There is no benefit to using mid or premium grade gas in the Sienna. I've found if I stay between 55-65 mph, I get the best gas mileage on the highway. Once I get above 70 mph, the gas mileage drops.

If you're tracking gas mileage, always do it manually based on a full tank of gas It's the only way you can accurately measure how many gallons of gas were used.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Our Sienna AWD usually gets 18 MPG on trips when we keep within speed limits. On a trip last week we saw the same until I added mid grade gas 3 times. I saw 30 and 33 on what appeared to be level terrain and kept the speed below 65 due to traffic conditions. One 33 calculation was manual, not by the built in indicator.
I have seen many articles about using the lowest grade and there being no benefit in using mid or premium.
Anyone else seen this, or did we just drive too slow?
You may have been quietly upgraded to Gen 4 :)

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
681 Posts
My daily commute is about 10 miles, 6 miles on city streets (mostly 4-lane, with 35-40 mph limits) and 4 miles on the highway (cruise set on 70). The little trip computer that flashes as I turn the van off will show between 18 and 21 mpg. I have taken a few longer drives on weekends of 100-200 miles. Some have been mostly highway, others have been sight-seeing in the country, so speeds were somewhat constant, but slower. These have gotten me about 24 mpg.

Last weekend, I did a trip that took me almost to Chicago (about 260 miles). Set the cruise on 70 both ways. The trip there got me 25.2 mpg. The trip home got me 28.1 mpg, a record for me.

I think if it were FWD instead of AWD, it would have easily topped 30, but how in the world did you get 33???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts