Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2019 Sienna XLE AWD with 13,000 miles in excellent condition. It was certified used which comes with a 7 year 100k drivetrain warranty. I bought a dealer 3rd party full coverage extended 7 year 100k warranty which covers anything mechanical or electrical that breaks for $2400. Both expire in 2029. Figure $340/yr or appx $410 with inflation to year 4.

I typically don’t buy warranties and pay as I go, but there are tons of electrical items, accessories, and computers on this vehicle. I bought a Toyota for reliability but nothing is immune. Repairpal says the Sienna costs an average of $554 per year to maintain. Caredge says $303 at year 3, $776 at year 7, and $1061 at year 10 for a total of $5200 from year 3-10. These costs are general maintenance + repairs so any warranty repair costs will be less.

I can cancel the warranty and get my money back for another 2 weeks. I’m not sure the cost was worth it. What are the chances that a newer Gen 3 will have non power train related issues significantly in excess of $2400 up to 100k?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Warranties are a personal financial risk decision.

I would recommend if you are getting a warranty that you go with the Toyota extended warranty versus a third party.

Reactions: sath

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently bought a 2019 Sienna XLE AWD with 13,000 miles in excellent condition. It was certified used which comes with a 7 year 100k drivetrain warranty. I bought a dealer 3rd party full coverage extended 7 year 100k warranty which covers anything mechanical or electrical that breaks for $2400. Both expire in 2029. Figure $340/yr or appx $410 with inflation to year 4.

I typically don’t buy warranties and pay as I go, but there are tons of electrical items, accessories, and computers on this vehicle. I bought a Toyota for reliability but nothing is immune. Repairpal says the Sienna costs an average of $554 per year to maintain. Caredge says $303 at year 3, $776 at year 7, and $1061 at year 10 for a total of $5200 from year 3-10. These costs are general maintenance + repairs so any warranty repair costs will be less.

I can cancel the warranty and get my money back for another 2 weeks. I’m not sure the cost was worth it. What are the chances that a newer Gen 3 will have non power train related issues significantly in excess of $2400 up to 100k?
Warranties are a personal financial risk decision.

I would recommend if you are getting a warranty that you go with the Toyota extended warranty versus a third party.
I do agree by going with Toyota Extended Warranty (VSA). Although it would not cover everything, but you can make sure that Toyota might not go bankrupt in next 7-10 years and it would be accepted by any Toyota Dealer. You should be able to get additional 7years/100K miles from the online dealers for $1600-$1700 providing that your car does not pass 3 years yet which the system would use the 1st day of car being used as a start date.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been in the car industry for about 13 years and if you decide to keep your Sienna for the long haul; the warranty is well worth the price of admission. One major repair will cover that cost.

At the dealership level; we bet on clients changing cars every 3 to 4 years along with forgetting that they purchased an extended warranty since it's been so long.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Personally, I won't. But it's your choice if you can afford it etc.

Just do your maintenance correctly, change oil filter every 5k not 10k, all the major maintenance on time and you shouldn't have any issues. 60k transmission fluid drain/fill, brake fluid exchange every year or two it's up to you. Cheap preventative maintenance is going to cost you less than drive it till it dies then trying to fix it.

It's when you don't do the maintenance regularly things will take toll didn't the road and break downs and problems happen.

I never buy warranties for Toyota 😂.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Get your money back and just put the $2400 in the bank for future repairs. Based on past Siennas, the likelyhood of large repairs before 100k miles is slim. Bankng the $2400 is a smarter bet. You can do the exact same thing the warranty company will do but you get to keep the $2400 if you don't use warranty.

BTW, I have 2013 XLE with 135k miles. I had my first repair at 134k, repairing the driver side sliding door......it was covered by Toyota.

·
Registered
174 Posts
@Shinyboat,

Personally, I would not buy the warranty. If you decide to buy, you should buy from Toyota but any third party. Also, the price is negotiable.

Now, the big BUT,

The quality of Toyota cars goes down based on my personal experience.
Any major repair will cover your warranty cost, but you have to make the decision yourself.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a general dislike for warranty (insurance) companies of any type, so consider my bias. Anyway, there's a reason businesses push extended warranties--they are high profit centers for manufacturers, dealers and non-OEM warranty companies. Heck, you can't buy a cheap clock radio at Best Buy without them trying to sell you an extended warranty!

Consumer organizations say that IF you can afford to pay out of pocket for covered repairs, you're better off skipping extended warranties. I know this can be a big "if" for many people, and I can't dismiss someone wanting that peace of mind. But to me, you're not really rolling the dice by skipping an extended warranty for a newer CPO Toyota, even with all the bells and whistles.

Having said all the above, I know someone will post that they had an expensive repair covered by their extended warranty. Okay, great, but on average, warranty companies pay out comparatively little in claims.

Also, remember that these warranties kick in AFTER your OEM or CPO warranty expires, so please read the fine print.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts