Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we hauled the full size spare I sourced inside the car. It takes up more room than I thought.

This year, for our trip north 8 hours to San Fran, I found a much better solution.

Took 10-15 min to install. (Hitghate Solo, specifically the "High Clearance" version)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Something jumped out at me looking at the pictures. Are you risking getting a ticket for obstructing the view of your license plate? I know in NY it's illegal to even put clear covers on license plates and it's probably because of the red light cameras, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something jumped out at me looking at the pictures. Are you risking getting a ticket for obstructing the view of your license plate? I know in NY it's illegal to even put clear covers on license plates and it's probably because of the red light cameras, etc.

Yes, I am. They sell a license plate relocation kit...but since this is only going to be on for the trip, I opted out. If I were to keep this on all the time, I'd spring for it. Risking a fix-it ticket though. Oh well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, I am. They sell a license plate relocation kit...but since this is only going to be on for the trip, I opted out. If I were to keep this on all the time, I'd spring for it. Risking a fix-it ticket though. Oh well.
Sorry I hope I didn't jinx you.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Shame they don't include a simple mount for the license plate on the swinging arm. For a long road trip I would probably put the plate somewhere as you're sure to get a couple tickets along the way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In a couple/four years we plan to replace our 2000 Sienna with one 3-5 years old, so maybe a 2017-2020 model. Was having a discussion the other day when newer Siennas came up. Was told they no longer have any spare, but only an emergency aerosol goop can or something. Just saw this thread, so I assume there is at least no full size spare option. The guy told me I'd be buying expensive run flat tires that do not last very long, or accepting the risk of a flat tire and having to call a tow truck. Is it true new Siennas do not have a spare tire? Do owners pretty much always buy run flat tires? Do these tires really have short lifetimes?

·
Registered
45 Posts
In a couple/four years we plan to replace our 2000 Sienna with one 3-5 years old, so maybe a 2017-2020 model. Was having a discussion the other day when newer Siennas came up. Was told they no longer have any spare, but only an emergency aerosol goop can or something. Just saw this thread, so I assume there is at least no full size spare option. The guy told me I'd be buying expensive run flat tires that do not last very long, or accepting the risk of a flat tire and having to call a tow truck. Is it true new Siennas do not have a spare tire? Do owners pretty much always buy run flat tires? Do these tires really have short lifetimes?
My 2018 Sienna SE has a donut spare tire under the car. There's a way to lower it from inside the car to the ground. There may be some Sienna trims that don't have spare tires but certainly not all of them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can always remove the license plate from its original location when you go on a trip and mount it on the black bracket where the sticker is using long zip ties. This way you avoid tickets. When you remove the mounting bracket after a trip, you can put the license plate back in its original location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Sienna SE has a donut spare tire under the car. There's a way to lower it from inside the car to the ground. There may be some Sienna trims that don't have spare tires but certainly not all of them.

AWD doesn't have spare. The rear end is in the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have all wheel drive, you will have no room on the undercarriage for a spare. They will instead supply you with runflats. Not a good thing. Wear is not good, but worse for me, two of them catastrophically failed within 7000 miles. The stiff sidewalls tore apart on a curve in the road where the pavement falls off a couple inches. Never had a problem with standard tires, so I got good ones and junked the runflats. No regrets 63k miles later. When was the last time you repaired or replaced a flat on the side of the road after all?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you have all wheel drive, you will have no room on the undercarriage for a spare. They will instead supply you with runflats. Not a good thing. Wear is not good, but worse for me, two of them catastrophically failed within 7000 miles. The stiff sidewalls tore apart on a curve in the road where the pavement falls off a couple inches. Never had a problem with standard tires, so I got good ones and junked the runflats. No regrets 63k miles later. When was the last time you repaired or replaced a flat on the side of the road after all?
July 2018. I-95 in S Carolina. Replaced with donut and drove to tire shop. Not easy or pleasant on the sloping side of road In July. With no spare on a Sunday, I would have faced hours of delay. Within 2 hours I was back on the road with new tire On 2013 Sienna.

·
Registered
2 Posts
July 2018. I-95 in S Carolina. Replaced with donut and drove to tire shop. Not easy or pleasant on the sloping side of road In July. With no spare on a Sunday, I would have faced hours of delay. Within 2 hours I was back on the road with new tire On 2013 Sienna.
Yeah, that doesn't sound like fun. However for me, for long hauls that I bought the van for, space is at a premium. I removed, not just stowed, all but pilot/copilot seats and can't afford room for an unwieldy spare tire in any case, and chose to take my chances with a small 12v compressor and plugs and goo. Never had to use them, and have been lucky enough in 45 years of driving to have only those two run flats ever fail while driving (two separate occasions within a month or so of each other). Odds seem to be with that as a better choice for me. Maybe others too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you open the rear lid now? Does it swing out for that purpose? Mine is under the van since I have a FWD version. I like full size spare, too. But, hard to store them inside the vehicle space for a tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve had 4 flats in 30 years of Toyota minivans. The Previa had a full sized spare. The other three donuts. 3 of the 4 were road hazards that ruined the tire. Only 1 was near home. Changing a tire on the side of the road is really dangerous. The jack and lug wrenches supplied by Toyota are barely fair. I believe that I ran over something at a service station July of 2018. I pulled out onto the interstate, got up to speed and noticed front right was low. Within 10 seconds the tire was flopping as I pulled over. Tire shot, had about 20 K, Bridgestone. $160.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This discussion got me thinking about what Toyota will do with the redesigned 2021 Sienna especially with rumors of a hybrid coming. Will the FWD models excluding the hybrids get a spare or will all trims end up with run flat tires without a spare? The hybrids may require the room for the battery under the car so they may not get a spare.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have a full-size spare on our '08 AWD, and we chose to go with a 5-tire rotation (requiring another OE rim). Normally, we have the tire inside the back of the vehicle, but we do have a bicycle carrier that, with the addition of an inexpensive bracket and removal of the bike mount part, can double as a spare tire carrier. It doesn't swing to the side, but it can easily swing downward.

- G

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, they are sucks tires. Two of my RF blowout at the same time during a hiking trip in my 2019 XLE AWD. I replaced all four tires with Michelin tires. I use a full size tire as spare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts