Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Shame they don't include a simple mount for the license plate on the swinging arm. For a long road trip I would probably put the plate somewhere as you're sure to get a couple tickets along the way.
The relocation kit they offer has an LED light so you're legal in 50 states. I don't use it though. Just did 1,000 miles no prob.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I’ve had 4 flats in 30 years of Toyota minivans. The Previa had a full sized spare. The other three donuts. 3 of the 4 were road hazards that ruined the tire. Only 1 was near home. Changing a tire on the side of the road is really dangerous. The jack and lug wrenches supplied by Toyota are barely fair. I believe that I ran over something at a service station July of 2018. I pulled out onto the interstate, got up to speed and noticed front right was low. Within 10 seconds the tire was flopping as I pulled over. Tire shot, had about 20 K, Bridgestone. $160.
We've had 2 flats in 3 years of Sienna ownership. When we get another I want a full-size spare on deck and a donut as a back-up to that.
IMG_1174.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
FULL SIZE SPARE UNDER THE SIENNA - My 2012 Sienna LE (FWD) came with a donut mounted under the right middle seat, but I have been carrying a full size spare there, under the car, for 7 years with no problem, including some off-pavement driving. I go on trips a thousand miles from home, sometimes over a hundred miles from any shop, lots of logging roads, occasional jeep trail, fully loaded with kayaks and gear, airbag supports in the rear coil springs, I want the full size spare. I've had only 1 flat, but it was rocks that tore out the sidewall, glad to have the spare. If I go on jeep trails I sometimes put the spare inside to reduce fear of snagging it on the ground. It extends down about 4 inches, you can see it, but there near the rear wheel it still has good ground clearance. The AWD models have no spare, and no place to put one, although my brother carries my old donut spare in the rear seat well of his AWD Sienna XLE. I carry tire repair plugs and a compressor too. I like that swing-away tire carrier that started this thread, but I hesitate for the price and the weight, since my big trips are already heavy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After much research I discovered that a 195/75R16 is the same height (diameter) as my 225/60R17s. Width is 1.2" less. Will certainly hang lower than the temp spare, but not as much as the 17s would. Got myself a 16" rim and going with a 195/75R16 for my new spare.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check to be sure your 16" rim clears your front brake calipers. Others have reported that a 16" rim does not clear the front calipers on 2011 and newer Siennas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an 08. The rim is from an 04. So I should be good. But thanks for the heads up that others may find helpful.

·
Registered
642 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last year we hauled the full size spare I sourced inside the car. It takes up more room than I thought.

This year, for our trip north 8 hours to San Fran, I found a much better solution.

Took 10-15 min to install. (Hitghate Solo, specifically the "High Clearance" version) View attachment 44987 View attachment 44989
View attachment 44988
great solution. Wilco has some specific hitch requirements. What hitch are you using and did you have to modify the hitch so that it worked with the wilco. Additionally, did it present any weight loading issues. Would you recommend uprating the rear coil Springs

thx
jim

·
Registered
06 Sienna FWD, 08 Sienna AWD
200 Posts
We didn't intend to upgrade our coil springs on our 2008, but we had to replace them (one was broken) and the new ones (Moog) seemed to ride higher than they ideally should. So that might be an option, but another thing we did to help with loading was to install air-lift bags into the rear coil springs. That helps level the vehicle when loaded heavily, and is adjustable by tweaking the air pressure in the bags.

- G

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just solved my 2008 AWD Toyota Sienna No Spare problem. I added a Curt trailer hitch from Uhaul,(3 bolts each side), a Curt 2x2 spare tire carrier from Amazon, which holds the full size spare perfectly (bought wheel at Discount Tires for $80 and $40 tire at auto wrecker). Since the trunklid or liftgate will hit the spare tire I bought an 18 inch Extension Towever 84419 on Amazon. I had to drill one 3/4 inch hole for the hitchpin through the 18 inch extension in the right spot but it is perfect. In town I remove the Extension so the tire is close to the car and DO NOT open the trunklid! On trips I add the extension and am free to use the decklid as it sits exactly perfect distance from the van. I relocated the license plate to the left right over between Toyota and the lights. Bought on Amazon for $10 LED light. Perfect and bright. Just remove the inside cover pop off clips, and drill 3 small holes for the license plate holder, 2 screws and middle for wire and just cut in an existing license plate light!! Not sure if this is posted in the right place but I think it is valuable information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK. There are the pics of my AWD spare. Keep in mind the tailgate will NOT open in this position as it will hit the tire. I drive in town this way and do not open the liftgate with the tire this close to the vehicle. It WILL open when I insert the extension mentioned above and the tire sits way back when on trips and camping!

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is a interesting option. Not for everyone's needs, but interesting. Not really unpleasant to the eye either.

What if Toyota made a mount to hold tire on the rear hatch so the hatch could open and close. The extra weight on the hatch would have to be dealt with but not out of the question.:geek:

Thanks Cabogene

·
Registered
799 Posts
Looks good! I wasn’t sure what to expect with the license plate relocation, but that looks professional.

-Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there a donut available which fits the XL20/2nd gen sienna AWD ? I own a XL20 which is still < 200K...

I actually like the new Chysler Pacifica AWD limited, as it has the stow and go for all the rear seats, but unfortunately we still have the spare tire problem...
They do have a spare tire mount internally in the car but the wheel mounts are larger for their AWD and the normal FWD spare will not fit the AWD car...
what a waste!!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts