Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 XLE - 75,563 miles

So about 2 months ago I noticed that when I filled up for gas the display above the radio said I was able to go 312 miles before empty

Last month it said 306 miles before empty

Today it told me 291 miles before empty

Usually we fill the van up when it has a 1/4th tank of gas or less.

Has this happened to anyone else is it a sensor going bad?

My wife drive the van 95% of the time to and from work about 15 miles a day.

Got any ideas on what’s going on or is this normal because of the mileage? It’s odd how the miles till empty has went down in the lass 3 months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
306 Posts
Normal. It estimates miles remaining based on previous mileage. So if you are doing nothing but short trips for several tanks (especially in the summer, blasting the A/C), your mileage will drop a lot, and your estimated miles remaining will be lower when you fill up.

Conversely, if you go on a very long road trip (several tanks of gas worth) with mostly highway miles, you'll find that your estimated miles remaining will be a lot higher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I have same issue. Previously (a year ago) my 2012 LE (120K miles in it) used to show 370 miles (miles before empty) on full tank. Now it shows 300.
Now sure how/if the car remembers it’s going on short trips or on highway .

Thx
B

·
Registered
524 Posts
I do think that if you reset your average fuel economy and fill your tank the numbers will change on DTE.

OR do a test. Fill your tank and see if DTE is the same as your actual mileage that you covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with 3Wheelerguy. You probably need to reset your MPG every time you refill your tank. On the older Siennas, go to the MPG display and then press and hold both the E/M and MODE buttons for about 5 seconds. On the 2015, you would go to the MPG display screen and press and hold the DISPLAY button for about 5 seconds. You can look this up in your manual, if it is different for your model and year. As you drive, it will adapt to your driving habits and be more accurate. REMEMBER, do this every time you fill up your tank for a more accurate reading because as your air filter and oil gets dirty, it may change. That number also changes based on driving habits. If you stop quick, race up to speed, and vary your speed often, it will be less. Don't forget that other drivers of that vehicle can effect that number as well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I keep a log book with all my fill ups (date, miles, and gallons) so I can track my mileage. The estimated miles remaining absolutely depends on the mileage you got on the last few fill-ups. No car can predict future MPG. How could it? The car has no idea if you're going to be stuck in traffic on surface streets (worst MPG) or if you're going to be cruising on the interstate at a constant speed (best MPG). It's an estimate based on past MPG.

The reason I always track the MPG of my cars is to look at long term trends. Sometimes something on the car can be going bad, impacting the MPG, and you wouldn't notice it otherwise. Our Vibe has a bad heater in one of the O2 sensors so in the winter, it gets terrible mileage. Usually it doesn't even throw a code, but you can tell from the mileage that it's not "right". On that car, I plan on replacing the O2 sensors when I replace the rusty exhaust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts