Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

Registered
Last year we got a bad snow storm in Western Washington. My tires had 50k miles on them, and I was helpless. Tried to come out a few times and got stuck. A truck driver helped me get unstuck.
This year I have brand new tires. I am thinking of buying traction boards and a shovel. I can't use chains because I will be doing a lot of highway driving(60 mph). I am also thinking of airing down to like 25 psi. What else do you recommend? Can a FWD Sienna tackle snow, specially snow on hilly paved roads. Thank you 馃檹
Do you have AWD? If so, be careful as you can get going but may not be able to turn or stop. Mistake all the newbie SUV drivers make when they come to CO. Also, if you want a tank, but Blizzaks or Xice or similar on.

Registered
The kitty litter is an old wive's tale. Maybe it used to be more granular and not subject to turning soggy like cereal. If you spring for winter tires and wheels and run those during the winter you will never need something like kitty litter. I drive my Miata on winter tires.

Registered
Last year we got a bad snow storm in Western Washington. My tires had 50k miles on them, and I was helpless. Tried to come out a few times and got stuck. A truck driver helped me get unstuck.
This year I have brand new tires. I am thinking of buying traction boards and a shovel. I can't use chains because I will be doing a lot of highway driving(60 mph). I am also thinking of airing down to like 25 psi. What else do you recommend? Can a FWD Sienna tackle snow, specially snow on hilly paved roads. Thank you 馃檹
I bought Bridgestone Blizzaks for my 2019 FWD Sienna... never got stuck again Rochester NY

Registered
The kitty litter is an old wive's tale. Maybe it used to be more granular and not subject to turning soggy like cereal. If you spring for winter tires and wheels and run those during the winter you will never need something like kitty litter. I drive my Miata on winter tires.
Yes if you have snow tires/chains on. But if there is a car that does not then it will work or if it is really icy. I have used it many times so no use telling everyone it's a wives tale. It works, I've done it when cars are spinning out. I agree snow tires make a world of a difference.

I'd like to add that I always run snow tires in the winter and personally never used kitty litter on my own car. I have always used it for other cars that were stuck. But if there is a car in front of you spinning out and you can't get past them, then guess what you are also stuck.

Registered
Today I kept slipping going uphill in rain. Very embarrasing and a safety concern when passengers are sitting in the back. These X-Ice tries slept in rain while my all seasons used to do fine in rain.
Just curious are you FWD or AWD? I assume you are still on the OEM tires which are horrible in the rain. I changed out my OEM tires to snow tires in late Nov due to them being bad in the rain.

Registered
Just curious are you FWD or AWD? I assume you are still on the OEM tires which are horrible in the rain. I changed out my OEM tires to snow tires in late Nov due to them being bad in the rain.
Think Rideshare Sienna is using X-Ice presently.

Very surprisingly we've had good experience with OEM Falkens on rain, snow, ice [infamous I95 storm last winter].

Registered
Sorry I didn't read it carefully. I'm in Seattle area also and can confirm the hills/rain. When it snows in the city everyone is stuck except those running snow tires. I'm actually surprised you are slipping with the snow tires.

Try Kitty Litter for the rain. :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Egh the Michelin X-Ice are winter tires. I wouldn't run that in summer. Winter tires are very soft and they will fall apart if it gets too hot...Also keep a box of kitty litter or salt in the car...and a plastic snow shovel. I'd be careful with those traction mats. It can kill someone if they are standing behind it. I put my winter tires on around Thanksgiving or when I see snow and they stay on till March.

Registered
I used to live in Leadville, Colorado. Its 10,152 feet elevation, (almost 2 miles high). I have seen more snow there Just in the month of June, than most places have all winter. The saying is Leadville has 2 seasons: Winter and the Fourth of July, is not far off. Driving in snow for us pretty much happens every day, and you get good at it with practice. As a "child" of about 16, my father encouraged us to drive on our frozen over field to practice putting it in a skid, and taking it out of skid, since there was nothing to "hit" in the field for hundreds of yards. The tires are important, sand in the trunk is good, but learned skill is a difference maker. To make it up hills, there is a sweet spot, in throttle control, where you get maximum momentum to carry you over the top, but dont break traction and start spinning the tires. All of this takes some practice snow/ice driving in a place where there are not other drivers and things to hit. My advice is to find a place and practice. Perhaps the most important skill it the ability to judge ones own skill. Drive at a speed below your skill level, not above, well unless you are practicing on an icy open field. That's where you increase your skill level. Not on an unknown road with other drivers. Keep the 5 P's in mind, too. Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance. So, have the right tires, inflated evenly and correctly, a little sand in the trunk, along with tire chains in severe weather and I usually carry a tow chain to tow others out. Of course, dont forget warm clothing, proper boots, and a full tank of gas with your car running and being maintained well.

Registered
Skill and practice are quite important.

But in a FWD sienna, even with lots of skill, you might have difficulty with one thing: driving up (from a stop) a steep snowy or icy hill. Because that puts minimal weight on the drive wheels and puts more weight on the non drive rear wheels.

However, there is a solution: if the hill is not long, you can back up the hill. Because that puts the weight back on the drive wheels, since you have temporarily made your sienna a RWD car.

Premium Member
2014 Sienna LE
Today I kept slipping going uphill in rain. Very embarrasing and a safety concern when passengers are sitting in the back. These X-Ice tries slept in rain while my all seasons used to do fine in rain.
Hey, can you update if you鈥檙e still having issues in the rain? I just realized, all new tires will be slippery when first used, they have mold release compounds on them from manufacturing, and it takes several hundred miles to break in and stop being slippery, especially in the rain.

Registered
2021 LE
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey, can you update if you鈥檙e still having issues in the rain? I just realized, all new tires will be slippery when first used, they have mold release compounds on them from manufacturing, and it takes several hundred miles to break in and stop being slippery, especially in the rain.
Yes I'm still having issues in the rain, but now I have learned how to avoid it, a little bit of momentum helps

Registered
Yes I'm still having issues in the rain, but now I have learned how to avoid it, a little bit of momentum helps
I find this problem really weird. My stock crappy falkens are awesome in the snow and rain. I live near Boston. I find it hard to believe that the Michelins are that bad. I have those tires too.

Registered
2021 LE
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I find this problem really weird. My stock crappy falkens are awesome in the snow and rain. I live near Boston. I find it hard to believe that the Michelins are that bad. I have those tires too.
I find it very odd as well. My last tires were almost bald, and I was still not slipping in the rain. These snow and ice rated Michelins are brand new. Anytime I climb a hill in the rain, it slips. Couple of times I made my passengers pretty nervous

21 - 40 of 62 Posts