Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else struggling with programming a garage door button with the rearview mirror? I had no problem with this on my 2012 Prius V but now suddenly having a heck of a time getting the 2021 Sienna to recognize my garage door opener. I'll call customer service but was curious whether anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No issue for me.. Worked the same as all my other ones (except I can't get the up and down arrows that indicate function to work, tho I suspect this is just not compatible with my garage door).

1. Press remote and homelink button simultaneously right next to each other for ~10s. Homelink indicator will go from slow blinking to rapid blinking.

2. Press learn button on garage door opener motor unit and within 30s (while the red/purple/blue light on the motor unit is flashing) go back to the homelink and press the same button you are trying to program from step 1 three or four times (holding for 2-3 seconds each time) until the garage door responds.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,384 Posts
It might not be the vehicle. I have Genie Axcelerator openers, and found out after a frustrating experience that they only have 7 memory locations. Once all the registers are full, they all have to be dumped in order to program anything new. Check with the manufacturer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does anyone know if you can program a gate opener into the home link?
Depends how the gate is setup but it is possible. It won't work for things like community gates but if you have a private gate with a rolling code and a clicker the same as a garage door opener, it should work. I did it with my parents gate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depends how the gate is setup but it is possible. It won't work for things like community gates but if you have a private gate with a rolling code and a clicker the same as a garage door opener, it should work. I did it with my parents gate.
Ok. i guess this would be a community gate? For the entrance to our neighborhood. We each have garage door style openers. Would be nice to integrate into the home link.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok. i guess this would be a community gate? For the entrance to our neighborhood. We each have garage door style openers. Would be nice to integrate into the home link.
I think it'll depend then. My wife had a clicker style for her parking garage at one point and that one I could not program. If your community gate has a "learn" button accessible you can do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So it is a private gate, but it’s for multiple families (12 in the neighborhood).

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anyone else struggling with programming a garage door button with the rearview mirror? I had no problem with this on my 2012 Prius V but now suddenly having a heck of a time getting the 2021 Sienna to recognize my garage door opener. I'll call customer service but was curious whether anyone else had this problem.
You may also be running into a radio interference issue - at my home we have significant amounts of vehicle traffic in the afternoons starting after 3:00 pm (and related Cell congestion). When I first tried to program the remote one evening it would not setup properly. I tried doing the programming one morning (when traffic levels are down) and it worked as expected. We had noticed the range on our remote (factory garage door remote) in the afternoons and early evenings is 1/2 of the range during morning hours.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
64 Posts
Like @fibber2 , we had the same problem

Here was my post on the subject:

After I figured out the menu buttons, it became very easy....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like @fibber2 , we had the same problem

Here was my post on the subject:

After I figured out the menu buttons, it became very easy....
Got it! Thanks for this!

·
Registered
12 Posts
2010 sienna programmed very easily even with the rear view mirror. do it very carefully and slowly. It has worked fine for 10 years,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone else struggling with programming a garage door button with the rearview mirror?
YUP! Spent about an hour trying to do one with a rolling code -- tried the directions in the Sienna manual, on the Home Link site and checking You Tube. So I am still using a garage door opener. (Didn't have these issues with my 2013 Sienna)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a 2009 and had a challange with this also. What worked was i pressed a button on the opener inside, it was like a learn button. I then went out to the vehicle and held the button down for a few seconds ( maybe longer ) and then the opener accepted the code. It was very similar to how the WPS button on a router works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts