Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha, Today after backing out of my garage, when I shifted to go to DRIVE, the shifting remained at NEUTRAL and even though I can make the stick shift will move, the light remains in NEUTRAL and nothing engages. I've checked the transmission fluid and it is fine. Could it be a linkage problem? How do I check that or fix it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I was able to do a temporary fix. The top plastic that connects to the gear shift box has a small rubber gasket that deteriorated and allowed the cable to totally disconnect from the shifting mechanism. Local auto stores don't sell just that rubber gasket, they claim I would have to purchase the whole cable, so I improvised and created my own. After taking off the whole front dashboard, it was easier to put this improvised gasket on, but not sure how long it will last. This repair project took about two hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. I was going from Drive into Park, and it stayed in Neutral. The shifter will still move to all positions but the car stays in neutral as indicated. I am in the process of taking my dash apart which has been fun, but I assume this rubber gasket is the problem. Thanks for the update and solution. I did not want this to be a transmission issue. Thank you. I will reply back if this is the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a toytota Sienna 2005, my shift is in park but my keys are not coming out, so I have to use both hands and pull the stick shift to the LEFT and then the keys come out, Anyone knows how to fix it, I am a female in in 60's

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I could not find the Toyota Rubber Gasket and all the aftermarket solutions at Autozone and O'Reillys would not fit. I ended up just using an E-Clip and it is still going strong today. Here is a link to a video which shows what the e-clip is i am talking about. Cheap fast simple fix.
Sienna Shift Link Fix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts