Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is nearly 1/2 degree caster difference left to right which causes pulling even on a new alignment and fresh tires.

Anyone out there found adjustable strut mount plates for this application?

Regarding rear trailing arm it is adjustable with shims just not recommended.

Current alignment:

Note: Front camber adjustment bolts installed. SPC .75 degree shim installed in RR position to reduce negative camber.

Previous alignment:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke with specialty products today. There is no adjustable strut plate available that they know of. However, slotting the strut tower may be an option.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
I was going to suggest slotting the 3 upper mount screws. Slightly forward on one side, slightly back on the other. It's hardly the ideal solution, but it was what I had to do to make an old car of mine (early Nissan Maxima) track straight. It didn't take all that much work with a round file to get it right. I then put a small piece cut from a washer into the slot to keep the strut from moving back to the original hole over time, and used a slightly oversized washer on top to completely cover the slot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Following up on this thread.
Rear camber and toe adjustment is complete with SPC shims. Sample photo:

RR: toe in correction .13 deg
Camber positive correction .75 deg

LR: Camber positive correction .75

Front caster:
Slotted RF tower .5-.75”. For additional caster.
This was the maximum rear adjustment without modifying the strut plate or cutting the inner circle of the strut mount (I wanted to avoid weakening the structure). This was quick work with a carbide burr and simple measuring.

Overall vehicle tracking is significantly improved but not perfect. There is still a slight pull to the right likely due to residual cross camber.

I may slot the LF tower toward the front for additional cross caster correction.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
As I mentioned, slotting is a pretty easy thing to do, and does wonders.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sucess! This is the best alignment state the van has ever had!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sucess! This is the best alignment state the van has ever had!
I thought about shimming the rear camber on my van, but got worried if that would create uneven wear on my rear brake pads. Did you also have to shim the rear brake caliper mounting to compensate?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about shimming the rear camber on my van, but got worried if that would create uneven wear on my rear brake pads. Did you also have to shim the rear brake caliper mounting to compensate?
The construction of the rear brakes on the all-wheel-drive Gen2 move the entire backing plate including the caliper mount in line with the shim. The only thing that comes out of plane is the ABS wheel sensor. So far in my experience the ABS ring mount has more than enough clearance to support up to 1° of correction with no adverse effects on wheel speed sensor operation

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this myself since my rear drum brakes are due for a change. The negative camber in my right rear is so bad. I've also noticed most Siennas running around my area is no different. I think I need two of the SPC shims ($9.77 on Amazon) that rcamacho posted.

The camber readings from the last alignment. The alignment guy wanted an additional $150 to do the rears.

Left rear: -1.2
Right rear: -2.1
(range for both is -1.9 to -.09)

I'm thinking it's easy watching this video.

I'm might buy this cheap camber tool to help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts