Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 2021 Sienna in for the 10kmi service yesterday and the dealership changed the oil with 0W-20 instead of 0W-16. Anyone else have this happen?

From the Owner's Manual:
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-16 SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-16 is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Show them manual and ask them to change to proper, at no charge.

Else, point out that since have the invoice with the 0W-20 then any engine or oil related issues will point back to this as their fault.

·
Registered
'07 XLE FWD, '18 XLE AWD
151 Posts
Hmmm...0W-16 oil has been viscosity for many Toyota 2.5L I-4 engines since 2018, so surely dealers must have them.
Prior to the 0W20->0W16 change in 2018 4-cylinders, there was the 5W20->0W20 change in 2007 4-cylinders. For MY07, most engines had both 5W20 and 0W20 printed on the oil filler cap.

Given the fact that 0W20 flows at extremely cold temp that most of us in North America would never experience, I would not worry about engine damage. The only thing could be a slight reduction in MPG.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There will be no engine damage at all. Nothing, it's probably protecting the engine better than 0W-16. The only reason to use 0W-16 instead of 0W-20 is that you get that 0.01 increase in fuel efficiency or whatever that oh so small amount is. But for Toyota that makes hundreds of thousands of cars, it makes their corporate fuel economy lower.

So the real life advice is, just ask that they put in 0W-16 if they have it next time, if not forget about it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Your next oil change has to be 0W-16. I read that while setting up my 25K service today. I.e. you can't have two consecutive 0W-20s.

Lol.... Yeah, the engine blows up, seriously, stop scaring the guy. You can use 0W-30, 5W-30, the difference is minute changes in fuel economy that won't be noticed in real life. Check out bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,128 Posts
Lol.... Yeah, the engine blows up, seriously, stop scaring the guy. You can use 0W-30, 5W-30, the difference is minute changes in fuel economy that won't be noticed in real life. Check out bobistheoilguy.com
I don't think there's anything scary about reading manufacturer's manual. See it for yourself.

What's even more interesting or vague is that I see this note for 25K service. Regularly scheduled oil change would have been at 20k. So are they saying change out 0W-20 to 0W-16 after 5K? I suppose only Toyota can clarify their maintenance plan.

Font Screenshot Magenta Parallel Number

·
Registered
176 Posts
you cannot use 0w-30 5w-30. Pls follow recommended oil as per owners manual. Its as simple as that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No, of course the engine won't blow up. But there may be long term detrimental effects because components were designed to use the thinner oil.
Here's a good video explanation of why 0W16 is recommended:
Agreed, it's recommend and should be used but using another grade won't affect anything enough to be worth worrying about. The car will have other issues that make it undrivable before an engine problem due to the wrong viscosity, especially if you used 0W-20.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Funny, when I was a kid and able to drive, I thought thicker oil was more protective. I did my own oil changes, and would often add a product called Motor honey to supposedly improve lubrication. My vehicles still ran fine for as long as I kept them, but I guess it was possible long term damage was being done without my being aware of it. I now own a 2019 Toyota Sienna, and only the recommended synthetic oil is used (I’ve wised up over the years). (y)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Funny, when I was a kid and able to drive, I thought thicker oil was more protective. I did my own oil changes, and would often add a product called Motor honey to supposedly improve lubrication. My vehicles still ran fine for as long as I kept them, but I guess it was possible long term damage was being done without my being aware of it. I now own a 2019 Toyota Sienna, and only the recommended synthetic oil is used (I’ve wised up over the years). (y)
No long term damage but you got slightly worse gas mileage, it might have actually protected the engine better but those products are hype, it won't make much difference unless you drive the car, so much that your van body will break before the engine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
someone pointed out elsewhere that if you look in the owners manual for other countries, they state that 0w-20 and 5w-30 are fine depending on the conditions, but it might not get its rated mileage numbers. up here, the dealer can't get the toyota OEM 0w-16, which is OEM'd by Mobile, but they can get as much Amsoil 0w-16 as they need since the factory is right there, so they have been using that instead for people that insist on 0w-16, otherwise, they have been using toyota 0w-20 instead, and you just might not get as good of gas mileage. it has more to do with EPA stuff than anything else, since it was EPA certified with 0w-16, any switch away from that by a dealer/manufacturer can impact the validity of that certification.

·
Banned
17 Posts
There will be no engine damage at all. Nothing, it's probably protecting the engine better than 0W-16. The only reason to use 0W-16 instead of 0W-20 is that you get that 0.01 increase in fuel efficiency or whatever that oh so small amount is. But for Toyota that makes hundreds of thousands of cars, it makes their corporate fuel economy lower.

So the real life advice is, just ask that they put in 0W-16 if they have it next time, if not forget about it.
Use caution when using a thicker oil in your engine. It does make a difference and can cause significant engine damage over time. In particular, if an engine is designed for 0W-16, the clearances between the bearings and rods and crankshaft and cams are much tighter. When you try (or the oil pump) to push this thicker oil into these tighter areas of the engine, it can cause excess pressure in those particular areas resulting in spun bearings, blown out oil seals wherever the oil flows and other unwanted side effects. You may think it’s not hurting your engine but those scratched bearings will eventually cause a problem. Please trust me on this one. I’ve been responsible for the manufacture of well over six million engines and this can and does happen. Don’t panic but get the correct oil weight as soon as possible. Definitely don’t gun your engine especially while it’s cold. Best of luck and enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Use caution when using a thicker oil in your engine. It does make a difference and can cause significant engine damage over time. In particular, if an engine is designed for 0W-16, the clearances between the bearings and rods and crankshaft and cams are much tighter. When you try (or the oil pump) to push this thicker oil into these tighter areas of the engine, it can cause excess pressure in those particular areas resulting in spun bearings, blown out oil seals wherever the oil flows and other unwanted side effects. You may think it’s not hurting your engine but those scratched bearings will eventually cause a problem. Please trust me on this one. I’ve been responsible for the manufacture of well over six million engines and this can and does happen. Don’t panic but get the correct oil weight as soon as possible. Definitely don’t gun your engine especially while it’s cold. Best of luck and enjoy your ride!
Hey any one here remember STP or motor honey!
Ahem back to the 0-16 " if 0-16 not used in last oil change change oil filter and oil with 0-16"! Generally we all change oil and filter with ever oil change correct? 0-16 wow Just one thing make sure its synthetic and not dino as synthetic flows cold where as dino becomes like jelly or ketchup when extremely cold. As to 0-16 vs 0-20 in synthetic... the difference I would think is non critical (fully acceptable by TM due to supply chain hickups and such) but do keep records that the dealer put that oil in!
Sleeve Font Emblem Electric blue Symbol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts