Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Sienna LE 3.5L V6 176k miles
38 Posts
I dont believe there is such a thing as 0 weight conventional oil, it cant be made that thin. I thought the lowest you can go in conventional is something like 5-30 so no worries about mixing up conventional vs synthetic.
You are correct, any 0W oil will be synthetic. Or at least sold as such.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Use caution when using a thicker oil in your engine. It does make a difference and can cause significant engine damage over time. In particular, if an engine is designed for 0W-16, the clearances between the bearings and rods and crankshaft and cams are much tighter. When you try (or the oil pump) to push this thicker oil into these tighter areas of the engine, it can cause excess pressure in those particular areas resulting in spun bearings, blown out oil seals wherever the oil flows and other unwanted side effects. You may think it’s not hurting your engine but those scratched bearings will eventually cause a problem. Please trust me on this one. I’ve been responsible for the manufacture of well over six million engines and this can and does happen. Don’t panic but get the correct oil weight as soon as possible. Definitely don’t gun your engine especially while it’s cold. Best of luck and enjoy your ride!
Actually, its worse, if the oil is too thick it might not flow as well to cool the engine. Or the tiny holes that activate the variable valve timing. Stuff like that. Anyway, everyone is just a Walmart away from 0-16. Just bring a jug with you at the next oil change. My dealer credits any oil I bring to an oil change.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Actually, its worse, if the oil is too thick it might not flow as well to cool the engine. Or the tiny holes that activate the variable valve timing. Stuff like that. Anyway, everyone is just a Walmart away from 0-16. Just bring a jug with you at the next oil change. My dealer credits any oil I bring to an oil change.
What’s unfortunate in many areas, engine oil is not available. Our local fuel distributor has been unable to get hardly any oil. They state that raw oil is available but that the additives are not. They are concerned. I am concerned.

Moderator Edit: Last comment removed.....

·
Banned
17 Posts
Where do you live that's there's no Walmart. Amazon is also a viable option. I haven't seen any oil shortages.
Two Walmarts in bowling Green Ky and one in Franklin Ky. Only place that has any oil is rural king in Glasgow Ky and it’s their in house brand, providence. No Mobil 1, rotella Castrol or anything. Like I said, even the very large fuel distributor here, key oil company, can’t even get oil. No additives

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am concerned. Let’s go Brandon!
for one, this is unnecessary. the current president is cleaning up the mess from the prior one, and on top of that, you really think he has some magic dials that turn down or affect supply of stuff like this? just like gas prices are not under his control at all, the additives are available, but the companies that make them are jacking up the price, so Toyota's OEM, Mobile isn't buying them or making that much oil for toyota, because toyota doesn't want to pay the higher prices, thus, toyota's supply of their own branded 0w-16 is fucked. This isn't industry wide. My Amsoil cases of 0w-16 have not gone up in price or down in availability, and since I live right near the manufacturing plant, I can go pick up as many cases as I need. If you want a case of 12 quarts shipped to you, I can do that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Two Walmarts in bowling Green Ky and one in Franklin Ky. Only place that has any oil is rural king in Glasgow Ky and it’s their in house brand, providence. No Mobil 1, rotella Castrol or anything. Like I said, even the very large fuel distributor here, key oil company, can’t even get oil. No additives
Just an FYI, but the OEM for toyota oil is Mobil, so it stands to reason that they are having supply chain issues, you won't find their own branded products either. Amsoil is not having any issues with supply, so if you need some, I can ship it by the case, or you can buy it direct from them. I live right next to the manufacturing plant, so I just go in and pick up more when I need it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just an FYI, but the OEM for toyota oil is Mobil, so it stands to reason that they are having supply chain issues, you won't find their own branded products either. Amsoil is not having any issues with supply, so if you need some, I can ship it by the case, or you can buy it direct from them. I live right next to the manufacturing plant, so I just go in and pick up more when I need it.
Do you guy not read my posts? Go to walmart.com and it plainly shows ample stock of oil in Bowling Green. Its a flat out lie that there's no oil available.

Go see for yourself. Plug in Bowling Green's zip code on walmart.com, it shows what's in stock and even what aisle its on in that particular store.

·
Banned
17 Posts
There’s simply NO WAY that somebody going around to auto forums saying “Let’s Go Brandon” would EVER lie about ANYTHING! I can’t believe you have the audacity to even suggest such a ludicrous, implausible, character besmirching thing about someone so clearly honorable and well intentioned. Have you no shame?!

😂

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Listen dipstick, you just called me a liar. I repeat, last week and the week before, the two Walmart’s in bowling green and the one in Franklin did not have any 5W-40 engine oil for Diesel engines. Zip, none. Now, if you want to take this liar issue further, we can certainly find a time and place. Dill weed
Are you delusional? Why would we be talking about diesel oil on a Sienna forum? Look, just admit you were lying about lack of oil. I live in Houston, I think we know a thing or two about oil here. There is no shortage.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Please look below at the out of stock n Walmart.com

you continue to call me a liar. I guess you think the southern border is secure also or that $5 gas is good for the economy or Obiden saying it’s ok if Putin invaded Ukraine as long as it’s just a little. Listen, you liberal loser, wake up and keep your Crude comments and beliefs to yourself
Oh, $5 gallon gas is certainly great for Houston's economy. No argument there.

·
Registered
'07 XLE FWD, '18 XLE AWD
149 Posts
If someone wants to visit me in Chicago, we have PLENTY of 0W16, 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W40, 10W30,15W40, canola oil, olive oil, even pork lard.. while 87 is $4.89 (in the burbs anyway.

·
Banned
17 Posts
If someone wants to visit me in Chicago, we have PLENTY of 0W16, 0W20, 0W30, 5W20, 5W40, 10W30,15W40, canola oil, olive oil, even pork lard.. while 87 is $4.89 (in the burbs anyway.
That’s wonderful and I’m happy for you! But I repeat, oil in Bowling green Ky is hard to come by. Shelves are mostly empty. If you will go to Walmart.com and search the oil, there is only approximately 1 available for pickup with 9 out of stock or only available if it is shipped to the store with two or three days of delivery time. Doesn’t matter what weight you need.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts