Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Gen 4 Factory Oil Change - Dealership used 0W-20 instead of 0W-16

17K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  ntsall4_7686 
#1 ·
I took my 2021 Sienna in for the 10kmi service yesterday and the dealership changed the oil with 0W-20 instead of 0W-16. Anyone else have this happen?

From the Owner's Manual:
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-16 SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather. If SAE 0W-16 is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-16 at the next oil change.

#3 ·
Hmmm...0W-16 oil has been viscosity for many Toyota 2.5L I-4 engines since 2018, so surely dealers must have them.
Prior to the 0W20->0W16 change in 2018 4-cylinders, there was the 5W20->0W20 change in 2007 4-cylinders. For MY07, most engines had both 5W20 and 0W20 printed on the oil filler cap.

Given the fact that 0W20 flows at extremely cold temp that most of us in North America would never experience, I would not worry about engine damage. The only thing could be a slight reduction in MPG.

#4 ·
There will be no engine damage at all. Nothing, it's probably protecting the engine better than 0W-16. The only reason to use 0W-16 instead of 0W-20 is that you get that 0.01 increase in fuel efficiency or whatever that oh so small amount is. But for Toyota that makes hundreds of thousands of cars, it makes their corporate fuel economy lower.

So the real life advice is, just ask that they put in 0W-16 if they have it next time, if not forget about it.

#19 ·
Use caution when using a thicker oil in your engine. It does make a difference and can cause significant engine damage over time. In particular, if an engine is designed for 0W-16, the clearances between the bearings and rods and crankshaft and cams are much tighter. When you try (or the oil pump) to push this thicker oil into these tighter areas of the engine, it can cause excess pressure in those particular areas resulting in spun bearings, blown out oil seals wherever the oil flows and other unwanted side effects. You may think it’s not hurting your engine but those scratched bearings will eventually cause a problem. Please trust me on this one. I’ve been responsible for the manufacture of well over six million engines and this can and does happen. Don’t panic but get the correct oil weight as soon as possible. Definitely don’t gun your engine especially while it’s cold. Best of luck and enjoy your ride!

#6 ·
Your next oil change has to be 0W-16. I read that while setting up my 25K service today. I.e. you can't have two consecutive 0W-20s.

Lol.... Yeah, the engine blows up, seriously, stop scaring the guy. You can use 0W-30, 5W-30, the difference is minute changes in fuel economy that won't be noticed in real life. Check out bobistheoilguy.com

#15 ·
Funny, when I was a kid and able to drive, I thought thicker oil was more protective. I did my own oil changes, and would often add a product called Motor honey to supposedly improve lubrication. My vehicles still ran fine for as long as I kept them, but I guess it was possible long term damage was being done without my being aware of it. I now own a 2019 Toyota Sienna, and only the recommended synthetic oil is used (I’ve wised up over the years). (y)

#18 ·
someone pointed out elsewhere that if you look in the owners manual for other countries, they state that 0w-20 and 5w-30 are fine depending on the conditions, but it might not get its rated mileage numbers. up here, the dealer can't get the toyota OEM 0w-16, which is OEM'd by Mobile, but they can get as much Amsoil 0w-16 as they need since the factory is right there, so they have been using that instead for people that insist on 0w-16, otherwise, they have been using toyota 0w-20 instead, and you just might not get as good of gas mileage. it has more to do with EPA stuff than anything else, since it was EPA certified with 0w-16, any switch away from that by a dealer/manufacturer can impact the validity of that certification.

#28 ·
Two Walmarts in bowling Green Ky and one in Franklin Ky. Only place that has any oil is rural king in Glasgow Ky and it’s their in house brand, providence. No Mobil 1, rotella Castrol or anything. Like I said, even the very large fuel distributor here, key oil company, can’t even get oil. No additives

#38 ·
That’s wonderful and I’m happy for you! But I repeat, oil in Bowling green Ky is hard to come by. Shelves are mostly empty. If you will go to Walmart.com and search the oil, there is only approximately 1 available for pickup with 9 out of stock or only available if it is shipped to the store with two or three days of delivery time. Doesn’t matter what weight you need.

#41 ·
Well, that was fun! I haven't had a reason to delete so many posts in quite some time. Yes, I get it. Shortages and elevated prices are trying folks nerves, and it's making people say regrettable things. Just don't do it here..... I hate having to eliminate members, but I won't waste my time culling thru threads either.

"One Touch Ban & Clean" is an easy tool to use. Want to see?

Reactions: pamhar
#44 ·
If it comes down to it. I really have no problems with 0W20 and 5w30 in my engine. Especially during a zombie apocalypse. I used to think that 0w16 was more expensive but I searched and price seems to be the same. Can always do an oil analysis. I've been using 0W20 on the Prius for 140,000 miles. Runs fine. 10,000 mile oil change intervals.

#45 ·
In response to the Op’s question,
yes, on my second free oil change the dealership used 0w20 according to the paperwork. I noticed right away and mentioned it to the service guy.
His first response: it is supposed to be 0w20. I proceeded to point out that he was incorrect. He argued with me for awhile and I honestly believe he didn’t know.
His second excuse: They didn’t have any 0w16.

The reality of the situation is, the oil change guy draws oil out of a spigot on the wall next to several other spigots with various oils. You have no idea what oil gets put in your engine at the dealership. What the service writer put on your paperwork is what he thinks it should be and is not related to what the oil change tech used.

I do my own own oil changes, except for the two freebies that came with the new van purchase.

#46 ·
In response to the Op’s question,
yes, on my second free oil change the dealership used 0w20 according to the paperwork. I noticed right away and mentioned it to the service guy.
His first response: it is supposed to be 0w20. I proceeded to point out that he was incorrect. He argued with me for awhile and I honestly believe he didn’t know.
His second excuse: They didn’t have any 0w16.

The reality of the situation is, the oil change guy draws oil out of a spigot on the wall next to several other spigots with various oils. You have no idea what oil gets put in your engine at the dealership. What the service writer put on your paperwork is what he thinks it should be and is not related to what the oil change tech used.

I do my own own oil changes, except for the two freebies that came with the new van purchase.
Yea I don't trust mechanics too much either. They are on a time crunch. I had them mess things up before. Loose control arm bolts after alignment, loose spark plug falling out, jiffy lube over tightening my oil filter causing major leak in the White mountains, etc. I do a lot of my own work and not always because I enjoy it.

My buddy knew someone who religiously went to a Ford dealer for maintenance and then we he check her air filter it had a mice nest inside the box. 😂

#47 ·
I recently read a trade article that asked the question regarding API SN and API SN-Plus and ILSAC GF-6 vs GF-6B oils (the 0W-20 vs 0W-16) standards and compatibility. It seemed to imply that the differences had more influence on resource conservation and fuel economy, with the question about engine wear being one of 'who knows'. In the end, they referenced both Honda and Toyota docs which stated that if you can't get 0W-16 you should use 0W-20 and go back to 0W-16 on the next change.

Net: I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.

Reactions: pamhar
#48 ·
I recently read a trade article that asked the question regarding API SN and API SN-Plus and ILSAC GF-6 vs GF-6B oils (the 0W-20 vs 0W-16) standards and compatibility. It seemed to imply that the differences had more influence on resource conservation and fuel economy, with the question about engine wear being one of 'who knows'. In the end, they referenced both Honda and Toyota docs which stated that if you can't get 0W-16 you should use 0W-20 and go back to 0W-16 on the next change.

Net: I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.
There is another thread on here where some guy in Mexico verified that they were using 5W30 and it was ok according to their manual.

#50 ·
Yes, what cougar hound said. Look at my thread at my profile for the thread I created. Found the same engine in the highlander/rav4/camry has different verbiage in Australia and also found that the sienna in Mexico has the 5w30 sticker in the engine by and in the manual from another member.
Use whatever you make feel comfortable. engine should be fine for the average climate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.