Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I’ve decided I want to buy a used 2000-2009 Sienna (links to best years most welcome!) to use for my pedicab business. I’ll be also buying a 5’x10’ open trailer that I understand to weigh around 1000lbs. My 6 seater pedicab will weigh 250lbs. Assuming other odds and ends plus my own weight,let’s just say I’ll be hauling about 2000lbs.

Basic question... will all siennas tow this weight as is just fine or will I need to upgrade certain things? I know I’ll need to find a good tow hitch (dos and donts advice on that is most welcome as well) but otherwise, should I be fine? My pedicab is precious cargo to me (its s nice one) and I don’t want to risk damaging it.

Thanks!
-Jacob

·
Registered
862 Posts
Any Sienna from those years will tow 2000 pounds. Just keep in mind that the older the vehicle, the more susceptible to the stresses of towing it will be.

As to the best years of Sienna in that range... the 2007-2009 would be the best. They will have the 3.5L engine which = more power (with same or better mpg) and a timing chain (more reliable/less maintenance than timing belt of 2000-2006 models). Also newer and presumably lower mileage and less wear and tear.

Second choice would be 2004-2006 models as the 2ng gen is a much better use of space, better engine and trans, better features and just a better van overall than the gen1 models, plus the whole newer and less wear issues.

If I were looking to buy a used Sienna, I wouldn't even bother looking at models before 2004 and honestly wouldn't look at ones before 2007 if price range allows.

When we were buying new, we consciously waited for the 2007 model to get the 3.5L engine.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts