Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On May 20th I departed South Florida for a road trip that would cover about 8K miles. The plan was to return home the end of June. My road trip would take me north to Acadia National Park In Maine then back track to North Carolina where my daughter is in grad school. After that the plan was to head west to Utah to visit a few National Parks . Now I am back in NC and after assessing the weather out west particularly the temperatures, I have decided not do this part of the trip. For me it is just too hot to be boondocking in the wild. I will try in May next year when the temperatures are cooler. Instead I will head across to Tennessee to visit a friend and down to ATL to visit a family member.
On my way up to Maine I linked with Floridanative ( Mike) and Vatoysienna (Chris) in Richmond VA where we had lunch. Thanks for lunch gents!! It was nice to finally meet other forum members . We parked our Siennas next to each other for a show and tell. From L-R , Floridanatives , Mine , Vatoysienna. Leaving Richmond I visited a family friend in Toms River NJ, spent a couple days there then up to Acadia National Park
14B11F6B-786B-4E1D-9931-CC0AB6E5083F.jpeg

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thunder hole , unfortunately that day the tides were such that the loud thunder did not happen
FB32D8A0-202A-412F-8D83-93BCE4DB1F64.jpeg

Reactions: vatoysienna

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cadillac Mountain. The views are breathtaking. I opted not to see the sunrise ( too early for me ) . I have seen many beautiful sunrise and sunsets in my previous career. It was cool and windy . Town of Bar Harbor in the distance.
B71B9347-6B1F-4DAA-A892-B74D30A015F1.jpeg
3FF7F7CB-CC2C-4B73-97CD-9FDF2E463F17.jpeg
EB5878EF-46F7-4303-AD9B-DC0C3B2BE14D.jpeg
I had a lobster roll for lunch and here are a few traps.
90915E9C-FB97-495C-8D3B-96C6BC2AAD48.jpeg

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After Acadia I went to Shenandoah National Park , Southwest of Washington DC. I drove the entire Skyline Drive , all 105 miles. The road is pristine and smooth. I had fun with the Sienna as the roads in South Florida are just pancake flat and boring. There were many pull over spots for breath taking views. I took a few pics as after a while , to me , it was more of the same.
EB92DAC8-D1AA-4AAF-BD6D-A17B70E1C1CD.jpeg
747B8F17-43B1-4A9C-B90A-99D1813B2A59.jpeg
C4E1453F-0755-43C1-9219-EC7906B5932F.jpeg

Reactions: vatoysienna

·
Registered
2008 XLE
45 Posts
Nice! We spent 8 years full time on the road. I'm collecting the four corners of the USA and Acadia is the last one - and we haven't gotten there yet!

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
288 Posts
You're right, it's way too hot. Gives you something to look forward to next year.

Impressed with your and Mike's Sienna set up. All in all, how did it work out for you?

We'll be driving down to Alabama end of July, provided I get my Sienna issues taken care of.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far so good. I gas up most times at Costcos providing they are reasonable close to my route. I kept track of the mpg and the best I had was 30 mpg . That's because the speed limit was either 50 mph or 55 mph and I was in no rush. Other times I drove at senior citizen speeds rarely exceeding 70 mph and the van returned between 26-28mpg. On average I think 26 mpg is more like it. This is with premium gas. I hooked up my OBD2 scanner and monitored the fuel trims while driving and rarely did the Long Term exceed 10 hovering most times between 6-8 . I recently renewed the pre cat A/F sensors , the post cat ones were done not too long ago as well . One thing that occurred after 2500 miles into the trip is that the fuel system would go into open loop (OL) once I let off the gas. This has never happened before. Once I resumed it would then go into the closed system (CL). My research suggested that it is nothing to worry about. I hope so. Another thing I experienced was how the transmission behaved when descending long stretches of roads with cruise control turned on. More of "wow' moment to me since I don't experience this on the flat roads in S. FL . Total miles since I left FL is 3100 with perhaps another 800 to go before I get home in S.FL. Knock on wood my 06 will keep chugging along !!

Reactions: SilverMachine

·
Registered
887 Posts
It was great meeting you and @vatoysienna both!

Sorry to hear you cancelled the west portion of the trip, but I totally get it. It was blazing hot in east TX, LA and AR last summer and we ended up in more hotel rooms than we planned because of it.

Maybe try again in the spring.

-Mike

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE
50 Posts
Wow, what a trip! Our furthest trip in our 09 Sienna thus far was 3100 miles (TX to FL to MI and back). We did a 4700 mile trip in our 05 Camry before kids. I also got close to 30mpg once (29.8); it was on flat roads with speeds of 50-55 and minimal traffic. It has been almost a year since our last road trip; I'm itching to get back on the road.

I marvel at how different the weather is in different parts of the country. Here in East TX it has been unseasonably cool since the crazy winter storm in Feb. Normally we would have a good number of days in the 90s by now, but I think we have only hit 90 once this year. We have been getting a lot of rain which has probably helped dropped the temps.

I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly.
Thank you! I am leaving NC on Wednesday for Gatlingburg TN , couple days there then unto Atlanta via Great Smoky mountains. Should be a blast!

Reactions: SilverMachine
1 - 13 of 13 Posts