Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
It was already very cold in the mountains. I installed a Chinese Diesel Heater in the Toyota Sienna.
The diesel heater was of 2K watts. Even though it was the smallest diesel heater on the market, It was still too big for the Sienna because the space inside the minivan was very small. The Chinese Diesel heater worked very well. It was very warm all night. The heater was bought for $107 from ebay, it was very well worth of the money.
20201017_131653.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Southern Vermont Mountains. I removed the roof cargo box ( a 18 cub ftter) because the box caused a lot of wind noise on the high way driving. It also caused a bad gas mileage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It was already very cold in the mountains. I installed a Chinese Diesel Heater in the Toyota Sienna.
The diesel heater was of 2K watts. Even though it was the smallest diesel heater on the market, It was still too big for the Sienna because the space inside the minivan was too small. The Chinese Diesel heater worked very well. It was very warm all night with the chinese heater. The heater was bought for $107 from ebay, it was very well worth of the miney.
That's pretty 'spherical objects' of you to cut such a big hole in your floor pan! You gotta do it though - or risk asphyxiation from CO. Love the muffler on it (y) - what next, South America?

·
Registered
504 Posts
The diesel heater was of 2K watts. Even though it was the smallest diesel heater on the market, It was still too big for the Sienna
I just bought a 2k too but they sent me a detuned 5k with a 2k sticker. They set the controls to idle down the fuel pump a little. I already reset it to run correctly . Not happy, it's physically much bigger than a real 2K and doesn't fit where I was going to mount it. Despite all I'll keep it because it runs good.
12v diesel heater.JPG

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just found this thead and am enjoying the pictures and discussions. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Radiator leaks?
While in the Vermont Mountains, I found coolant low regularly. The passenger side plastic flap guard was wet with coolant. The radiator might be leaking.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Radiator leaks?
While in the Vermont Mountains, I found coolant low regularly. The passenger side plastic flap guard was wet with coolant. The radiator might be leaking.
I removed the radiator and found a hairline crack on the plastic side tank on the passenger side.

The radiator was the Factory original one, so it lasted only 195K miles, and 15 years.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Radiator leaks?
Please tell me. When you say plastic flap guard, do you mean that black piece right under the radiator?
Also, can you take a pic of where the hairline crack is on the radiator? Greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thank you for taking the time.
That's some serious crack.
The reason I asked was because I saw coolant down on the black plastic piece right below the compressor. I'm pretty sure it's just from the overflow tank. I think i put too much when i refilled it after i replaced the alternator.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Installed the Spectra CU2925 radiator, it is a perfect fit for the 2006 Sienna FWD.
I also bought the Denso 221-0520 radiator but did not use it. Denso used the same parts of the Spectra to assemble the radiator. Denso's packaging was very bad as compared with the Specta. Denso also costs almost twice to the Spectras.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Thank you for taking the time.
That's some serious crack.
The reason I asked was because I saw coolant down on the black plastic piece right below the compressor. I'm pretty sure it's just from the overflow tank. I think i put too much when i refilled it after i replaced the alternator.
I also happened to have a coolant over-flow tank leak for about two years and it made me believe that the low coolant was caused by the leaking over-flow tank. Only after I fixed the over-flow tank did I realize that the leak was at radiator, because the plastic flap continued to be wet with coolant.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mine was definitely just too much coolant in the overflow. I opened it a couple of days ago after a drive and the coolant was up to the top. Suctioned some out and haven't sent wet spots since. Thank you again.
Those last pics are pretty. If you don't mind me asking, where is it?

·
Registered
259 Posts
That's awesome. I was gonna say that that picture reminds me of Hudson River. I was right. We always take Palisades Parkway, which is on the other side of the river in that picture, everytime we go up to Peekskill. I always avoid the GW Bridge. And we always stop at this one overlook to enjoy the view and let the puppy take care of business.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
2KW Chinese Diesel Heater Control Setting
My 2 KW Chinese diesel heater came programed with a 5KW diesel heater fuel pulse rate (Low at 1.6 Hz, High at 5 Hz), and came with a rotary controller that can not be re-programed. Too much diesel fuel was pumped into the burning chamber and the burning was not right.
I bought an LCD controller

and re-programed it at Low: fuel pump pulse rate at 1 Hz, fan speed 1500 rpm, and High: 3.2 Hz, and 4500 rpm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
The Snow tires and Snow cables on the Sienna:

The Sienna was on 235/70R16 BFG KO2 A/T tires. The KO2 was not good on the icy road and the the Sienna was stuck on ice with snow last winter in the mountains. Also, the bigger size tires left no room to install the tire chain/cables in the winter.
I installed 215/70r16 Firestone Winter Forces UV snow tires that came out of a 2007 Toyota RAV4, the performance of the snow tires was very good in the cold weather.
I bought these snow cables for the Sienna:

It was very cold at night in the mountains. But the Chinese Diesel Heater kept us very warm. The 2KW diesel heater was very efficient, it consumed only one quart of diesel fuel overnight (costed only 70 cents).

41 - 60 of 90 Posts