Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
So, do you just live a life of driving around the Country in a mini-van? Sounds like a great retirement to me, but I would think it would give my wife too many rural camping areas to bury my body when she can't put up with me anymore! :LOL:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
DIY LiFePo4 battery.
I wanted to have the ability to use a 3-quart Instant pot inside the van, and also to make coffee in the morning. I decided to build a LiFePo4 battery.
I bought 4 pieces of 202AH Lishen battery cells from Alibaba.com (Lishen 202ah LiFePo4), paid a total of $340 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DIY liFePo4 battery.
I wanted to have the ability to use a 3 quart Instant pot inside the van, and also make coffee in the morning. I decided to build a LiFePo4 battery.
I bought 4 pieces 202AH Lishen battery cells from Alibaba.com (Lishen 202ah LiFePo4), paying a total of $340 shipped to my door.
View attachment 48399
I also bought a Daly BMS from Amazon.
Curious to hear how this works out!

Also, I owe you props for the tip on the 90s lexus wheels. Happened to find some locally for a pretty good deal, and also was able to find some Falken Wildpeak AT3w tires used but in good shape to go with them. Prepping them for paint (going graphite/gunmetal) and will post when they are done.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Lishen LiFePo4 202ah battery
The battery cells and the BMS fit well in a Group 27 battery box.

I tested the capacity of the battery, and it had a 218AH capacity. (Listed at 202AH)
((2616wh/12v=218AH).

With 1500W inverter, it did cook well with the 3 quart IntantPot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Add a kill-switch.
The battery weight 42.7 lb (including 4 battery cells, BMS, the kill-switch, wires, and group 27 battery box).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
The three-quart Instant Pot drew 60 amps of electricity from the Lithium Iron Phosphate battery. It used 158Wh (12--13Ah) of energy to cook a meal of Meat Stew for 18 minutes. It used 11--12 Ah to cook 2 cups of rice (12 minutes). Porridge, one cup of rice, 20 minutes, 175Wh, 15 Ah).

The Instant Pot Amperage drawing from the Battery:
1. A 3-quart Instant Pot: Draws 54--60 Amps from the battery.
2. A 6-quart Instant Pot: Draws 90 Amps.
3. An 8-quart Instant Pot: Draws TBD.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So, it looks good and is a good amount of power. That said, it's needling me that you have 3 smaller-gauge red wires hooked to the positive terminals and one smaller-gauge red wire hooked to a negative. I know it doesn't matter, but it still bugs me! 😁

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
So, it looks good and is a good amount of power. That said, it's needling me that you have 3 smaller-gauge red wires hooked to the positive terminals and one smaller-gauge red wire hooked to a negative. I know it doesn't matter, but it still bugs me! 😁
You are right, it's the principle.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Charging the Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery.
I planned to charge the battery directly from the car alternator.
I also bought a DC-DC booster for $20 and built a DC-DC battery charger just in case the alternator-direct charging did not go well.
DIY DC-DC battery charger.

I set the charging voltage at 14.4V, and set the constant charging current at 20A.
I tested the following charging sequences and both of them worked, the DC-DC charger did not explode.

1. Connect the 12v power sources to the charger, then connect the charger to the load (the LiFePO4 battery).
2. Connect the charger to the load (the LiFePO4 battery), then connect the charger to the 12v power source.

I also added an extra 12v 120mm fan for cooling. I placed the charger in a box.

The DC-DC booster module:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
Charging the LiFePO4 battery directly from the Alternator: When the LiFePO4 battery is at 13.10 volt, the LiFePO4 battery gets 15-19 amps charging current from the alternator.
Charging the LiFePO4 battery from the home made 20A DC-DC charger: The DC-DC charger is connected to the starting battery's positive pole. The LiFePO4 battery continues to get 20A current of charging.
Currently, I don't need to worry about LiFePO4 battery drawing too much current directly from the alternator and possibly overheating the alternator.
I will remove the DC-DC charger, and will charge the LiFePO4 battery directly from the alternator, since this is simple, and as a result I could remove a lot of wires off the DC-DC charger from the charging circuit.
So, the lithium iron phosphate battery does NOT draw too much current from the alternator, the concern is that it draws too little current from the alternator therefore it will require a longer time to charge the battery to full. I was expecting that the lithium iron battery might draw about 40 amps directly from the alternator, and it did not.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Hey Dashan , nice project! You should be proud of yourself! Stirling and Renogy makes DC-DC chargers but I'm sure you saved a lot by going the route you did. When the weather keeps you in the van it is nice you know you can prepare meals inside your van without a flame.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
I paralleled two DC-DC boosters to make it a 40A DC-DC charger.

I also put 4 15A diodes to the output side of the charger, to prevent the two boosters from killing each other, and also to prevent the lithium iron battery from killing the two boosters.

Two diodes for one booster.

I tested the 40A DC-DC charger.
The charging current was around 33 amps when the car is in idle.
I adjusted and increased the output voltage of the charger to 14.6v at the cathode side of the diode.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts