Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Alternator overdrive pulley install in Toyota Sienna.
I want to speed the alternator when the car is in idle, so that it will produce more amps of electricity. The OEM alternator pulley diameter is 58mm, I installed a smaller pulley of 49mm diameter.

Toyota Factory Pulley:

Factory pulley Vs smaller pulley:

I grinded some meat off the new pulley so that it could sit on the inner racer of the alternator bearing.

The new pulley needed a new M14x1.5 nut, the new nut will be able to grab 3-1/2 circles of the threads of the shaft, while the OEM nut with flange only grabs 2-1/2 circle of threads.
I bought this nut from Homedepot, and from amazon, free shipping.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,340 Posts
Any guess as to what the equivalent engine RPM will be at idle compared to the original?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 · (Edited)
Add wires: Alternator to starting battery, Engine block to car frame, car frame to starting battery negative.
I had some left-over cables and I used them for current flow.
Alternator to starting battery. The long wire in black loom.

Engine block to frame.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,340 Posts
Looks like the old one still had some life left. But nothing like a reassuring feeling with the new set!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Any problems adjusting out the belt? Looks like you shouldn't.
I haven't installed the alternator with the smaller pulley yet. I changed too many things of the charging system, and I wanted to be sure that those changes worked first, then install the smaller pulley.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
It was very nice to be able to use the instant pot to cook while on the road. Also, an electric kettle is very convenient.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Worthington State Forest, State of New Jersey.
On the way to the New Jersey Worthington State Forest, the sienna CC stopped working. It showed an E3 code. I stopped and restarted the engine, this maneuver did not solve the problem. I then used a wet cloth towel to clean the laser sensor housing surface。 The the CC returned to work (the surface did not look dirty at all).
We hiked the Mt. Tammany. The trailhead parking was always crowded and full. So, arriving the night before would be a good idea.
The view of the Delaware Water gap from the Mt Tammany trail was stunning. It would be even richer in the fall with foliage color.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts