Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Alternator overdrive pulley install in Toyota Sienna.
I want to speed the alternator when the car is in idle, so that it will produce more amps of electricity. The OEM alternator pulley diameter is 58mm, I installed a smaller pulley of 49mm diameter.

Toyota Factory Pulley:

Factory pulley Vs smaller pulley:

I grinded some meat off the new pulley so that it could sit on the inner racer of the alternator bearing.

The new pulley needed a new M16x1.5 nut, the new nut will be able to grab more thread of the shaft than the OEM flange nut.
I bought this nut from Homedepot, free shipping.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Any guess as to what the equivalent engine RPM will be at idle compared to the original?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Add wires: Alternator to starting battery, Engine block to car frame, car frame to starting battery negative.
I had some left-over cables and I used them for current flow.
Alternator to starting battery. The long wire in black loom.

Engine block to frame.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,302 Posts
Looks like the old one still had some life left. But nothing like a reassuring feeling with the new set!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Any problems adjusting out the belt? Looks like you shouldn't.
I haven't installed the alternator with the smaller pulley yet. I changed too many things of the charging system, and I wanted to be sure that those changes worked first, then install the smaller pulley.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)
It was very nice to be able to use the instant pot to cook while on the road trip. Also, an electric kettle is very convenient.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts