Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 04 Sienna where the stock stereo is giving up the ghost. It mostly works but sometimes the knobs or memory buttons won't and the display acts up too. And often the station just changes by itself.
I like to replace it with another working stereo. Preferable with an original Toyota stereo with the option for an aux input since I am removing it anyway. I know the later 2nd gen Sienna's came with an Aux connector.
Or are there any aftermarket Bluetooth sensors which work with the Toyota stereo? Not so much for making phone callas but my wife likes to listen to the audio books on her phone while driving. And these cassette adapters are just horrible.
I just like the big knobs of the Toyota stereo which can be handled blindly. Call me old fashioned but I hate touch screens or fiddly tiny knobs.
I have seen quite a few used stereos on ebay but I am not sure how well they work and if they have been fully tested. I wonder if there are any reliable dealers out there who sell used working stereos.
Long story short:
I want a good working Toyota stereo with the option for an Aux or Bluetooth connection. Nothing fancy. No touchscreen, no camera, no navigation, no satellite radio.
Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Personally, unless you're trying to maintain your '04 as a classic/antique car when it becomes 25/50 years old and plan to enter it into car shows, I would seriously consider an aftermarket head unit. They will be far cheaper, brand new, and provide all that you want and more. You could probably get a new head deck in a junkyard, but it would be 17 years old just like yours. The 2nd-gen Siennas have an AUX input, but it's not build into the radio faceplate. It's to the right of the stereo, which, now that I think about it, is the weirdest decision that they could have made. You could get a direct drop-in replacement for a couple hundred bucks which would have bluetooth built in. You don't HAVE to have all the extra features (i.e. camera, nav, etc.), so you can get one of the lower-end units. Actually, really, you could probably drop almost anything in there and it would be a reasonable replacement. One caution I would make... if your car is doing all the things you say, it's entirely possible that it's a wiring issue or an issue with the steering wheel controls, so you may find that your problem isn't resolved with a direct factory replacement. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Replaced mine when it started acting up. On clearance at WM . Nothing fancy but works well. It has bluetooth, AUX and USB. Yes some buttons are small but you'll rarely use them once you have your favorite local channel set or connect your phone. I probably have a little over $60 spent including faceplate and wiring adaptor.
20210108_084640.jpg

·
Registered
558 Posts
Replaced mine when it started acting up. On clearance at WM . Nothing fancy but works well. It has bluetooth, AUX and USB. Yes some buttons are small but you'll rarely use them once you have your favorite local channel set or connect your phone. I probably have a little over $60 spent including faceplate and wiring adaptor.
Ditto: $15 bluetooth receiver from Walmart clearance section, $35 for TYTO-01 JBL sound system adapter, and $11 for a double DIN faceplate adapter. The only problem I have with it is that damned diversity antenna (which never worked well with the factory radio.) The new radio got few stations using the factory fat antenna cable so I got a cheap, flat, screen antenna and placed it underneath the dash cover and while it's better, it's still not great. I think I'll have to go get a factory whip antenna at a junk yard and cut a hole in the fender.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I replaced mine with a touchscreen that is Android Auto/CarPlay compatible when the OEM in dash CD changer in our 2007 stopped working. With an optional module, it maintains most of the steering wheel controls as well as the OEM aux input. Love it!

I did take the opportunity to add a reverse camera to our LE model. While not a trivial install, it was definitely worth it. The head unit itself (without camera) is a pretty easy install. Crutchfield makes it easy and worth a few extra $. Not affiliated with them but a very happy repeat customer.

-Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
View attachment 48396
Thanks. I actually may go this route afterall. Which wiring adaper did you use? I do not have the JBL option.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 2010 LE. Yours is probably going to be different since you have a '04 so you'll have to do some research online. Crutchfield website is a good source. Mine is pretty basic. Steering wheel controls don't work but I'm fine with that. I don't really listen to the radio all that much. It's more for my kids when they ride with me. I'd much prefer to hear the Sienna engine running, an emergency siren or hear myself think.

·
Registered
06 Sienna FWD, 08 Sienna AWD
186 Posts
The 2nd-gen Siennas have an AUX input, but it's not build into the radio faceplate. It's to the right of the stereo, which, now that I think about it, is the weirdest decision that they could have made.
At least the location of the AUX jack helps keep the cable from draping over the center console, but yeah it seems best suited for the passenger to use.

The gripe I have about the AUX input is that it's padded down too many dB for typical headphone outputs, and we have to really crank up the volume on the head unit. Maybe someday I'll "fix" this in our head units....

You'll lose some features with an aftermarket unit, such as the steering wheel controls and automatic volume adjustment based on vehicle speed. If you want a factory head unit with low-ish mileage, check LKQ's online store - you can search there by mileage. But aftermarket will be cheaper, and a local u-pull-it salvage will be far cheaper.

- G

Reactions: BillG

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks. I actually may go this route afterall. Which wiring adaper did you use? I do not have the JBL option.
As Bill suggested, use Crutchfield's site. I put your '04 non-JBL van in their configure tool, added a cheap Dual receiver, and came up with this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your local pull a part / DIY junkyards - should be about $20 (they should have generic prices posted online) for a used direct fit replacement. This is what I would do if you were happy with what you had stock, otherwise it's going to cost you more.

·
124 Posts
In case you decide to go aftermarket...I agree with Roader regarding the wiring kit (Metra 70-1761 Receiver sourced from Crutchfield) and I used that to install a Sony XAV-AX7000 unit in our 08 LE. I also added a back-up camera from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/eRapta-ERT01-Generation-Automotive-149°Perfect/dp/B074KZSVD6/) which has been great and used a wiring kit from Crutchfield to let me use the steering wheel controls (Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter). We spent a lot but I decided that the audio gear will come out of the van when it's done with. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: paul r

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I have seen that there are wiring kits which actually supposed to retain the steering wheel control buttons like these:
Crux:
Axxess:

Not sure if there are preferences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts