Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I have a 2006 LE and my check engine light came on and my engine is misfiring. Took it into a mechanic and was diagnosed as ignition coil #1 in the rear is failing. He recommended changing all 3 rear coils, all 6 spark plugs, and a couple gaskets that are leaking. He said to come back in a few days once his coworker who could do the job better and quicker was back in town. Since then, I've ordered the coils and spark plugs that I need and am shopping around to find someone who can replace the parts at a more affordable price. So my main question: which gaskets should I order and have ready to replaced the same time that the rear coils and spark plugs are replaced? I believe they are the intake manifold and valve cover gaskets but am not too sure. I am ordering all my parts from rockauto. Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've ordered the coils and spark plugs that I need and am shopping around to find someone who can replace the parts at a more affordable price. So my main question: which gaskets should I order and have ready to replaced the same time that the rear coils and spark plugs are replaced? I believe they are the intake manifold and valve cover gaskets but am not too sure. I am ordering all my parts from rockauto. Thanks.
My 99 probably differs a little. Might as well get the valve cover-plug tube gasket set and the intake plenum gasket set. Forget the intake manifold gasket. It's not removed. I didn't use the plenum set, didn't think of it, but what the heck they're cheap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 99 probably differs a little. Might as well get the valve cover-plug tube gasket set and the intake plenum gasket set. Forget the intake manifold gasket. It's not removed. I didn't use the plenum set, didn't think of it, but what the heck they're cheap.
Thanks for your reply! I ended up ordering a valve cover gasket set and a plenum gasket set. I meet with the mechanic on Saturday to do the job.

Out of curiosity, why not the intake manifold? I was on the fence on ordering that one too but it's a lot pricier. I'd like to have it ready for the mechanic if he goes in there and sees that it needs to be replaced, but it seems like that's not necessary? And can it easily be replaced at another time if needed?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I ended up ordering a valve cover gasket set and a plenum gasket set. I meet with the mechanic on Saturday to do the job.

Out of curiosity, why not the intake manifold? I was on the fence on ordering that one too but it's a lot pricier. I'd like to have it ready for the mechanic if he goes in there and sees that it needs to be replaced, but it seems like that's not necessary? And can it easily be replaced at another time if needed?
Removing the plenum to get at the valve covers is the only reason you replace the plenum gaskets. Removing the intake later would be a pain but it probably wouldn't be because of an oil leak.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Make sure you order your parts from reputable sources because now there are fake spark plugs and coils on the market, so you don't have to redo everything over.

I like your mechanics recommendation of replacing all coils and spark plugs in the back because they are hard to get at. You will be good for another 100k.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I also replaced all three coil packs in the back when I did my plugs. I changed the pcv valve as well and just recently I renewed the associated L shaped hose as it had gotten very brittle. It was difficult to maneuver in place even with my small hands and so I wished I had done that as well when I changed the plugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Letting the spark plugs erode so that excessively high voltage is required to fire them is what blows coils. Replace plugs at proper intervals, and you should not need to replace coils that are not blown.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Understand. I replaced the firewall ones as a preventative measure since it is quite involved. I replaced the plugs ahead of their maintenance schedule.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts