Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Hack ACC to enable Stop and Go on Siennas with TSS-P

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HK. 
#1 ·
Short version: There is a device you can buy from China for about $125 that hacks Adaptive Cruise Control to work down to 0mph - i.e. stop and go. The device is called a Smart DSU.

Long version: The OpenPilot community developed a device to help Toyotas with TSS-P allow an OpenPilot device to better control the acceleration and braking without disabling AEB. On Toyota Siennas with TSS-P, it just so happens that this device has the added benefit of enabling the stock ACC to work down to 0mph. So, when following another car that stops, ACC with a Smart DSU will brake all the way to a stop and resume when the other car resumes. (Note: You still cannot set the speed to below 28 mph and you still cannot engage radar cruise until you reach 28 mph. Also, if you tap the brake at all while below 28mph, it disengages and you cannot re-engage until you reach 28mph again.)

Up until recently, the only way to get an S-DSU buy the parts and build one yourself or chat with one particular user on the comma.ai discord server and get in line to pay him $150. But, now there is a seller in China (on Taobao) that sells them.

This Chinese Smart-DSU is a like a dongle that sits in between the Toyota DSU and the car. To install it, you unplug the stock DSU, plug the "smartener" into the stock DSU, and plug the cars harness into the SDSU. I had to lay down on the passenger-side floor to get to it. It's a bit awkward to reach, but it only took a few minutes and required no tools.

Of course there are many issues that makes this a very risky thing to do. These are just some of them:
  • You'd be hacking some core safety features of your car. Are you nuts? Seriously, don't do this. It could lead to serious injury or death.
  • There could be serious liability issues. Who knows what your insurance company would say about an accident that had anything to do with TSS-P's safety features with this installed.
  • You're buying from some place in China on Taobao. There's pretty much no warranty and no support.
  • Buying from Taobao is a total PITA. Using an agent like Superbuy adds a small fee but is much easier, but it's still a pain.
  • TSS-P ACC doesn't always recognize cars that are completely stopped. You could get accustomed to using it and then, one day, it could plow into back of a bunch of cars at a stoplight. Of course, stock ACC could do this without this device.
  • I can only confirm this seems to work works well on my 2018 Sienna, but I haven't tested it extensively. It should probably work just as well on 2019-2020 Siennas, but I can't confirm that.
Link to buy on Taobao: SmartDSUtoyota控车comma.ai买买熊openpilot逗号L2硬件-淘宝网 (In Chrome, right-click -> Translate to English.)
Or, buy from this agent: Superbuy-Shopping Agent

See less See more
#2 ·
Short version: There is a device you can buy from China for about $125 that hacks Adaptive Cruise Control to work down to 0mph - i.e. stop and go. The device is called a Smart DSU.

Long version: The OpenPilot community developed a device to help Toyotas with TSS-P allow an OpenPilot device to better control the acceleration and braking without disabling AEB. On Toyota Siennas with TSS-P, it just so happens that this device has the added benefit of enabling the stock ACC to work down to 0mph. So, when following another car that stops, ACC with a Smart DSU will brake all the way to a stop and resume when the other car resumes. (Note: You still cannot set the speed to below 28 mph and you still cannot engage radar cruise until you reach 28 mph. Also, if you tap the brake at all while below 28mph, it disengages and you cannot re-engage until you reach 28mph again.)

Up until recently, the only way to get an S-DSU buy the parts and build one yourself or chat with one particular user on the comma.ai discord server and get in line to pay him $150. But, now there is a seller in China (on Taobao) that sells them.

This Chinese Smart-DSU is a like a dongle that sits in between the Toyota DSU and the car. To install it, you unplug the stock DSU, plug the "smartener" into the stock DSU, and plug the cars harness into the SDSU. I had to lay down on the passenger-side floor to get to it. It's a bit awkward to reach, but it only took a few minutes and required no tools.

Of course there are many issues that makes this a very risky thing to do. These are just some of them:
  • You'd be hacking some core safety features of your car. Are you nuts? Seriously, don't do this. It could lead to serious injury or death.
  • There could be serious liability issues. Who knows what your insurance company would say about an accident that had anything to do with TSS-P's safety features with this installed.
  • You're buying from some place in China on Taobao. There's pretty much no warranty and no support.
  • Buying from Taobao is a total PITA. Using an agent like Superbuy adds a small fee but is much easier, but it's still a pain.
  • TSS-P ACC doesn't always recognize cars that are completely stopped. You could get accustomed to using it and then, one day, it could plow into back of a bunch of cars at a stoplight. Of course, stock ACC could do this without this device.
  • I can only confirm this seems to work works well on my 2018 Sienna, but I haven't tested it extensively. It should probably work just as well on 2019-2020 Siennas, but I can't confirm that.
Link to buy on Taobao: SmartDSUtoyota控车comma.ai买买熊openpilot逗号L2硬件-淘宝网 (In Chrome, right-click -> Translate to English.)
Or, buy from this agent: Superbuy-Shopping Agent
I recently bought a 2018 Seinna and installed my Comma 2. I actually expected that it would work to 0 mph, because that's what the OpenPilot list of compatible vehicles on GitHub says.

After seeing that it doesn't work below 28 mph (it would actually disengage cruise when the traffic speed decreased to lower than 28 mph) I did some research and ended up buying a Smart-DSU from the seller on Taobao and after a month and a half it finally arrived. I installed it this morning and took it for a short test drive.

I didn't get to test it in traffic yet, but here's how it worked: It allowed me to engage cruise/OpenPilot at low speeds, but it would set it to 27 mph. So if engaged OpenPilot at 15 mph, the vehicle would immediately start accelerating to reach 27 mph.
I still need to test in slow speed traffic, where I assume it will perform fine.

From your post it seems that your Smart-DSU worked differently.

I was hoping I'd would be able to engage OpenPilot at lower speeds. It's useful for side streets when I just want to blow my nose or put on gloves etc. and want the car to OpenPilot to keep in lane.

Anyway, was just wondering what your thoughts are on this, or if you had any additional tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.