Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A drill went through my brake booster back in July. My '05 sienna came out of the shop just fine. 2 weeks later, I drove the van home from one shift just fine, heading out to my second shift, even in the driveway, I couldn't depress the brake pedal. I drove for maybe 15 minutes, when I smelled something awful, and when I let my foot off the gas the van stopped. I could just barely touch the brake pedal before the van stopped. After sitting for an hour, and calling my mechanic, the brake was fine. My husband thought the shim on the brake pad, which fell and a tab was mashed against the rotor, we thought that was the issue. The next day, same hard brake pedal, same smell, same ol' the van wanted to stop as soon as I let off the gas. My husband replaced the caliper on the passenger side. It did okay for a little bit, the brake pedal would get hard, but no smell, and that would come and go. Another hard brake pedal, burning type of smell, and he called some friend who all told him it sounded like the brake lines were collapsing. Driver and passenger brake lines were replaced. Brake fluid was ran clear when lines were bled. Off and on until today,(10-9-19), hard brake pedal, no smell, problem would correct...no rhyme or reason for hard brake pedal. Today, on my way home, the brake pedal got hard while I was driving, and there was some type of "wobble" and a vibration. The "wobble" I was feeling, it was like I was driving on a tire that wasn't totally round, like there was a flat part to it. There was that awful smell again. I was in the post office parking lot, when I returned to the van...I almost couldn't put it in reverse. When I did, and let up off the hard brake pedal, the van wouldn't roll back. I had to give it quite a bit of gas to get it to go in reverse. Dropping it into drive, was that "wobble", and it was like the van didn't want to go any faster than 10mph. It's been sitting in the driveway for an hour now. I'm not sure if I want to go turn it on and check the brake pedal or not. The caliper is new, the brake lines are new, google led me to something about a master cylinder. I checked "symptoms" and what my van is doing doesn't match up. I did get a check engine light on again, but I'm sure its that p420 code or whatever for the catalytic converter, that's been coming on since May. I don't think the cel has anything to do with the master cylinder. My brother told me over the phone that it sounds like the caliper may have somehow been installed incorrectly or somehow some trash got into the brake line. But its always that passenger side giving me issues. I never had any issues before I got the new brake booster....I don't think its that, because back then, the brake pedal went way down toward the floor and the van wouldn't stop. Does anyone have any other clues that might send me in the right direction, and get me to feel safe on the road again?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds like the caliper is clamping down hard on the rotor. If you go and carefully touch the right front tire I bet it will get hot as you drive like that. I'm not sure the cause though...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds like the caliper is clamping down hard on the rotor. If you go and carefully touch the right front tire I bet it will get hot as you drive like that. I'm not sure the cause though...

I would agree with this. It could be your ABS system or traction control activating the passenger side brake. You may likely have more then one issue. Given it's your brakes I would recommend you take this in to you dealer or service provider and have them check the system(s) They will run through their diagnostic tools and will be able to either determine the issue or at least rule out certain system issues.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A drill went through my brake booster back in July.
What does that mean? Someone drilled a hole in it?
After replacing a bent lever on my motorcycle the ft brakes engaged on their own and the lever was hard. Turned out the master cylinder wasn't retracted all the way when not in use. As the brake fluid heated up it expanded applying force on the brakes and lever (pedal in your case). I shortened the linkage so the master cylinder returned all the way and vented to the reservoir. Fixed.

·
Registered
407 Posts
A quick check just in case. There is a maximum mark on the brake fluid reservoir. Make sure the brake fluid is not overfilled past that...

·
Registered
149 Posts
he called some friend who all told him it sounded like the brake lines were collapsing. Driver and passenger brake lines were replaced.
Just to clarify, you are referring to the rubber brake hoses, and not the metal "pipes"...?

I have had this symptom before that ended up being a collapsed brake hose. I'm not sure how common it is, but my understanding is that a hole / pocket develops in the inner part of the hose and when pressure is applied the pocket fills up with fluid and blocks off the hose (a one way valve of sorts), so the fluid can't flow back toward the master cylinder. Eventually it bleeds down and can feel normal for a while, but while it is blocked it will have the symptoms you describe.

If you replaced the hoses and the caliper and still have the problem, the master cylinder is the only other obvious thing...but I'm not sure if this is a common failure mode for master cylinders.

Someone mentioned the possibility of the ABS malfunctioning. Is there a fuse you can remove, or some other way to disable ABS for test purposes?

Best of luck getting this figured out...brakes are important. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts