Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded from a 2004 well-loved Sienna to a new-to-me 2017 Gen 3. Love it so far!

I'd like to drain & fill the transmission, but it appears with the new transmission intro'ed that year, Toyota also rearranged the transmission placement and as a result, the fill plug is harder to access than with previous gen 3 models (based on comparisons to online instructions). I can get a 24mm socket onto the fill plug, but there's no room for the wrench. What's more, there's a suspension/body beam underneath that makes it impossible to fit a standard wrench straight on. Photos attached below. Any suggestions for the best tool to remove the plug bolt? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about an extension? Maybe even a deep socket.

Good idea opening the fill plug first!
Thanks for the idea. A deep socket wouldn't even fit in the limited space.

I just ordered up a low profile 24mm 3/8" socket on Amazon. Will report back after try it, but I'm optimistic as at least one reviewer bought the same to remove the fill plug on their Toyota truck transmission.

·
Super Moderator
4,738 Posts
Looks like you are using an impact socket. Those things are pretty oversized for this application. I'm sure a standard socket and a wobble extension will improve your odds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to successfully remove the plug with this low profile socket along with a standard 3/8" wrench (and an extension!). Of note, the 2017 transmission uses a 10mm (outer) transmission drain plug rather than the 6mm on previous year models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at the picture, a swivel adapter should work just fine. I have these Swivel Adapters in my tool chest and have often used these in tight spaces with success.
Also, the swivel adapter I picked up didn't work, it was just too tight; but that might've been cuz I was using an impact socket (though not a deep one by description).

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think you mean the 6mm hex needed for the tube (or "straw") in all Gen-3 Siennas. There's still a 6mm hex tube, used to drain and then set the proper fluid level, in the 8AT drain, isn't there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you mean the 6mm hex needed for the tube (or "straw") in all Gen-3 Siennas. There's still a 6mm hex tube, used to drain and then set the proper fluid level, in the 8AT drain, isn't there?
There is still a 6mm hex tube, inside the opening covered by the 10mm drain plug. From what I've read online, prior year transmissions used 6mm for both.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts