Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sienna Limited; 2015 Avalon XLE, 2013 Prius Five
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coo-coo happy with my '14 Limited with 53K miles. The paint is near perfect and I want to keep it that way. I have seen ads from WeatherTech for their no-drill mud flap protectors. If anyone has installed a set, please share your opinion and experience. Are they worth the money? Are they truly no-drill? Are they secure on the van? Thanx 1,000,000

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I don't think the Weather Tech mud flaps is available for the Sienna. Why not OEM? They are no drill too. It will always look better when you paint it on the outside with body color.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
When I entered "Toyota 2014 Sienna" as the vehicle information on the WeatherTech website, the following message is displayed: "No-Drill MudFlaps are not available for your 2014 Toyota Sienna": 2014 Toyota Sienna | Mud Flaps - Laser Measured Splash Guards for Trucks and SUV's | WeatherTech

I don't know for certain whether or not drilling is necessary to install the OEM mud flaps since my 2014 Sienna Limited had the optional mud flaps installed during the port process.

I've installed OEM mud flaps on several Toyota/Lexus vehicles. At most, it was necessary to drill only one hole at each wheel position and only to drill through plastic - never through metal. In all cases, the mud flap could be used as a template to ensure that the hole was drilled in exactly the right place. It was usually necessary to remove the rear wheels but I didn't have a 90 degree drill bit attachment back then.

Painting flexible mud flaps can be problematic unless the paint used has an additive that allows the painted surface to flex. And if your Sienna is Blizzard Pearl per your avatar as is mine, mud flaps of any light color can quickly get to looking pretty bad from road tar. For that reason, I always leave mud flaps black or use black mud flaps even when body color mud flaps are available.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
OEM mud flaps don't require drilling. Road tar to a painted mud flaps is not a problem when the painting is done right. Had it on our frost pearl 2005 LTD sienna until we traded it in for the 13 Sienna with 200K miles on it with no problems. The key to painting is not to paint the inside. Just the outside area and obviously keeping it clean after you notice any dirt or tar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used the cheap china mud flaps on our 2016 sienna and it has been great for 4 years now. I don't remember if I had to drill into the side skirt or not, but I do remember reusing the OEM fasteners.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I installed oem mud flaps on our 2018, had to drill a few holes, but it was all plastic and not a problem. One was close to the edge so I used a small bolt and nut instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts