Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine just went and the dealer quotes $825 (that's with a 10% discount). I've got a 2012 with 161k miles on it. Wondering if it's time to sell or repair and keep driving.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You can always go buy a new sienna for 45,000. :oops:

I was curious and just watched a video on how to change the alternator. It's really involved. Probably worth it for Toyota to do it if it's OE part

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can have it repaired at an independent mechanic if you want to save some money. You can also choose to use a Toyota alternator or an aftermarket new or rebuilt alternator depending on how much you are willing to try and save. I would prefer to get a quality replacement part myself to avoid having to repair it again anytime soon.

·
Registered
270 Posts
just get a pepboy or autozone lifetime warranty alteranator and you can install or them...its cheap one time investment...lifetime warranty......just like starters.

·
Registered
2009 le awd
235 Posts
Alternators go, 162000 is a good run.
No need to buy a new vehicle over it.
I look at something like this expense as one car payment,, but only one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go watch a video of replacing the alternator. Not a job you want to do twice. OEM is $300. AZ is $210. The corner parts store stuff is known to be Hit or miss out of the box.

·
Registered
2009 le awd
235 Posts
That dealer price as long as its an OEM part probable aint that bad.

They are saying 3-4 hour job.
If you do your own wrenching its just a matter of mentally getting past all of the crap you have to take off to do the job.
after that its not all that bad.
There is not much on these modern vehicles that is easy anymore.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alternators go, 162000 is a good run.
No need to buy a new vehicle over it.
I look at something like this expense as one car payment,, but only one.
True. The minivan otherwise is in great shape. I'm just looking for excuses to get a new car haha. Had a good run with the Sienna, but will go ahead with the repair and drive it til car prices come down again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I replaced mine about two years ago.... def worth the oem price.......
not a big deal because alternators, starters, brakes, batteries all die....... normal tear and wear....
on a side note:
When I changed my alternator my cheapo costco battery was dead so I opted for an optima battery and Im quite happy with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts