Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just replaced the battery on our 2015 and I saw something that really brought this nagging thought to the front. I was at the hospital with my wife (finally coming home today!) and visiting family looked throughout for jumpers. There was an awful rattling from the back which I traced to the jack storage area. After a lot of finagling, I THINK I got it back in such a way that the rattling will be minimized.

However, the awful, cheap, plasticky construction of this storage area really alarmed me (this time and before with tire replacement, getting the wheel lock from there) considering that this is a 2015 Toyota, not a 1980s GM car (our 87 Regal that my mom had may be the worst car I've ever had the displeasure to experience first hand or even second hand). There are other issues as well.
  • The space between the seats and console that is just barely too tight for a hand or wrist but large enough that almost anything that slides off the console (phone, wallet, pen) will fall all the way to the floor and require almost comical efforts to retrieve (or you can stop, get out, and move the seat forward/back, but where's the fun in that?).
  • The DVD rear entertainment remote with no place to store it (Honda had that figured out on our 2007 Odyssey.) except putting it in the seat back pouch or the carrier between the seats.
  • The removable middle seat that has a big "drink and snack" area that means you can no longer walk between the middle seats to get to the rear. (Again, Honda had it right in 2007!)
  • The loud wind noise from the rear doors (it was "within acceptable limits" after the recall fix that at least made it bearable) that made this car louder at 25k miles than our Odyssey (always seen Honda as lighter and better handling but get louder quicker) was when we traded it in at at least 80k miles.
  • The infotainment system that is at least a generation behind other systems in features and STILL is slower and frankly isn't as good as my $120 replacement stereo on my old 4Runner for playing from a USB drive.
Several other minor issues escape me at the moment, but it seems like Toyota has really lowered their standards concerning systems other than the engine and transmission, which still seem to be flawless to this point. I always thought of Toyota as the "you pay a bit more for the same but you get real long lasting quality with no cheapo design compromises". Now (and I've seen people on 4Runner forums complaining that the Gen5 (2010, I believe?) marked when the 4Runner became a value/price point vehicle rather than making everything right and selling a slightly more expensive but far better vehicle. (Mine is a 2000. 210k miles and still running like new with only minor ancillary issues that I've chosen to just live with.)

Has anyone else noticed a significant drop off in Toyota quality to achieve price points? This applies to all Toyota vehicles because frankly I am not impressed with the Sienna so far and it may well negatively affect my choices in future cars for Toyota.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My problem with 2017 sienna limited awd, 40k miles(bought new), there is always some rattle / squeaky noise keep popping out here and there no matter how hard I have tried to fix them:

passenger side sliding door keep closing right after open if parked on downhill road.
sliding door rattle noise on rough road, both sides.
driver door rattle noise when shut, something loose inside the door panel.
sub woofer in rear hatch door rattle when deep bass music volume >= 25 ~ 30.
rattle under 2nd raw seats, both sides.
squeaky noise from driver seat when slowing down / breaking.
rustling noise near passenger side air blower motor.
squeaky nose from engine radiator fan when slowing down after engine shut.
the set of RFT have a very rough and bumpy Ride , I have to lower their air pressure from 36 to around 33.

Basically the Sienna is a AMERICAN car, it has NOTHING to do with JAPANESE TOYOTA other than it's powertrain.

I having been searching for a minivan with quiet and smooth ride, so far the KIA Sedona is the quietest even on rough road.

My dream van should has BOF structure with air suspension for the best NVH, too bad it doesn't exist in USA, so far it looks like I will have to get a full size SUV.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My dream van should has BOF structure with air suspension for the best NVH, too bad it doesn't exist in USA, so far it looks like I will have to get a full size SUV.
sounds like you need an old school Astro Van or a Full Size Chevy Van if you want BOF and install full air suspension
:)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The first two posters in this thread seem to have buyer's remorse or maybe didn't understand what they were getting when they bought their Siennas.

I read this thread just before I did 40 miles of driving today. Amazingly, my 2014 Sienna Limited FWD is rattle and squeak free after 94,xxx miles. I thought I had a rattle a few times but it turned out to be something in the glove box or cargo in the back. It would be nice if the glove box was lined with felt to help prevent contents from rattling. I thought the right front door speaker was rattling few months ago until I realized there was loose crap in the front passenger door pocket that was making noise.

My 2014 also had the problem where the passenger side siding door wouldn't stay open when the van was on a downhill slope. That was fixed under warranty in summer 2014 and I assume that it would be fixed at no cost on any gen 3 Sienna under the basic warranty or the sliding door settlement warranty extension.

The gaps between the front seats and console are no different than in any other car we've owned ... Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, Honda, etc. Don't lay stuff on the console and expect it to stay there.

I don't know which trims of the Sienna have a storage place for the video remote controller but mine has a pocket for it on the back of the center console. The remote still ends up being stuck into one of the seat pockets by 2nd row passengers.

We've had an approximately equal number of Japan and North American assembled Toyotas if our Lexus vehicles are included. I don't see any difference in how they are screwed together and I've ripped most of these vehicles apart when doing projects. The main difference is in the cosmetic attributes of the materials. Materials in Lexus are prettier. Materials in Toyota are plainer.

I especially got a kick out of the Kia Sedona love. The Sedona we rented in Seattle last January was shit. We returned it after three days and exchanged it for a Camry. The Sedona's headlights got the lowest IIHS rating of "Poor" by the IIHS and I couldn't see to drive it at night. I posted previously on this forum about it.

I'm continually impressed how the 10 speaker JBL audio system in our 2014 Sienna can make just about anything sound good. I listen to XM satellite radio a lot - sounds like crap in some vehicles but close to CD quality in our Sienna. I frequently stream music from the Internet - amazing how nice Pandora and YouTube Music sounds on the JBL system. I stream over Bluetooth too ... don't plug in an aux cord.

Our 2014 Sienna has been very reliable since we bought it new. It's had only two non-maintenance repairs and both were done at no cost under warranty - the passenger side sliding door and a broken fuel door hinge. It's still on the original brake pads and rotors - will be due for first brake pad replacement sometime after about 110,000 miles based on my projections.

My main complaint about the Sienna if it could be called a complaint is that I wanted more features - especially height and lumbar adjustments for the front passenger seat. 2nd row seat heaters would be nice. I wonder if the 2021 Sienna will get those features since the redesigned Avalon got them and even the redesigned RAV4 got rear heated seats.

As much as I like our Sienna, I don't know if I'm going to buy another one. It's been wonderfully useful the past six years but our need for a van is waning. My wife doesn't like driving a vehicle as big as the Sienna, it's a pain for us to have more than two vehicles, and I've got an eye for something more fun to drive. Although we may go back to renting vans when we need them, the Sienna is still going to be at the top of my preferred list.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try a "drop stop" to close the gap in-between the seats and console. I actually had it installed in my 2019 Odyssey that I traded in on my 2020 Sienna. No manufacturer is perfect but there are some serious concerns with the new gen Ody and you can read all about them online. Makes you wonder if they are under new management or something.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The first two posters in this thread seem to have buyer's remorse or maybe didn't understand what they were getting when they bought their Siennas.

I read this thread just before I did 40 miles of driving today. Amazingly, my 2014 Sienna Limited FWD is rattle and squeak free after 94,xxx miles. I thought I had a rattle a few times but it turned out to be something in the glove box or cargo in the back. It would be nice if the glove box was lined with felt to help prevent contents from rattling. I thought the right front door speaker was rattling few months ago until I realized there was loose crap in the front passenger door pocket that was making noise.

My 2014 also had the problem where the passenger side siding door wouldn't stay open when the van was on a downhill slope. That was fixed under warranty in summer 2014 and I assume that it would be fixed at no cost on any gen 3 Sienna under the basic warranty or the sliding door settlement warranty extension.

The gaps between the front seats and console are no different than in any other car we've owned ... Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, Volvo, Honda, etc. Don't lay stuff on the console and expect it to stay there.

I don't know which trims of the Sienna have a storage place for the video remote controller but mine has a pocket for it on the back of the center console. The remote still ends up being stuck into one of the seat pockets by 2nd row passengers.

We've had an approximately equal number of Japan and North American assembled Toyotas if our Lexus vehicles are included. I don't see any difference in how they are screwed together and I've ripped most of these vehicles apart when doing projects. The main difference is in the cosmetic attributes of the materials. Materials in Lexus are prettier. Materials in Toyota are plainer.

I especially got a kick out of the Kia Sedona love. The Sedona we rented in Seattle last January was shit. We returned it after three days and exchanged it for a Camry. The Sedona's headlights got the lowest IIHS rating of "Poor" by the IIHS and I couldn't see to drive it at night. I posted previously on this forum about it.

I'm continually impressed how the 10 speaker JBL audio system in our 2014 Sienna can make just about anything sound good. I listen to XM satellite radio a lot - sounds like crap in some vehicles but close to CD quality in our Sienna. I frequently stream music from the Internet - amazing how nice Pandora and YouTube Music sounds on the JBL system. I stream over Bluetooth too ... don't plug in an aux cord.

Our 2014 Sienna has been very reliable since we bought it new. It's had only two non-maintenance repairs and both were done at no cost under warranty - the passenger side sliding door and a broken fuel door hinge. It's still on the original brake pads and rotors - will be due for first brake pad replacement sometime after about 110,000 miles based on my projections.

My main complaint about the Sienna if it could be called a complaint is that I wanted more features - especially height and lumbar adjustments for the front passenger seat. 2nd row seat heaters would be nice. I wonder if the 2021 Sienna will get those features since the redesigned Avalon got them and even the redesigned RAV4 got rear heated seats.

As much as I like our Sienna, I don't know if I'm going to buy another one. It's been wonderfully useful the past six years but our need for a van is waning. My wife doesn't like driving a vehicle as big as the Sienna, it's a pain for us to have more than two vehicles, and I've got an eye for something more fun to drive. Although we may go back to renting vans when we need them, the Sienna is still going to be at the top of my preferred list.
I agree with most of it.The BEST Toyota mini wagon I bought came from Japan and never had any problems in the 3 years we owned it.The next was Toyotas PREVIA. No problems at all,.... then I bought a new Sienna in 2005(04 model) and for the first year we went trough hell.so bad( I quickly bought a extended Warranty Insurance) and sure had to used it to the fullest.( CHASSIS and equipments,tires,tank,u-joint ) (Even my Toyota dealer said Its American made,we expect more of this mess).Wow.I still liked enough on TOYOTA that we bought more when needed.If you are able to keep control over vehicle possibility,s the overall quality stays above all my friends ( other makes) vehicles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Drove around shopping today for some 5 hours.Comfort is great.Heated seats are a plus,super quiet (considering my old 05 ) Wife likes it a lot.Will drive it too...(forces me to drive her Prius.)Picture shows my Sienna AWD 2005.Sienna 2015 AWD XLE and Prius 06...Yes,we are Toyota nuts....

·
Registered
15 Posts
"squeaky nose from engine radiator fan when slowing down after engine shut."
My noise is the same as the video below, started last Autumn when weather became cold.

Dealer could do nothing but change the fan for $800. I had bad experience with those lousy dealers: after they removed/reinstall my front bumper cover on my another car, the gap between the bumper cover and the fender become almost twice as big as before, they said it's normal.

I googled the found this post:

I made a nozzle like this, insert it between the fan and the motor to spray silicone lubrication(safe for plastic), I was able to do this on both fans, so far there is no more noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The driver front door started making metallic rattle noise when shut, the passenger front door is still nice solid thud.

The idiot dealer open/closed both doors several times and claimed he couldn't tell the difference and said "it sounds fine".

I also fixed it by myself, the driver door is solid like new now. Let me know if anyone want to know the detail.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Strategically placed adhesive felt pads all around the van really seemed to help. There's a video floating around that shows all the trim and contact points to pad. This is not for all squeaks mind you but it really calmed my 2011 beast down. The sled in 2nd row seating gave me fits I til I just stuffed then undercarriage with egg carton foam 👍

·
Registered
24 Posts
@2020van - thanks for the drop stop recommendation. I hate that too narrow but just big enough gap. Stuff gets down there and it's impossible to retrieve, and it is very difficult to vacuum as well. I've been around Toyotas since the late 1970's and while our 13 Sienna has many more features I do think the build quality isn't as robust. I'm not currently in the market, but would be interested as to whether a 13 Odyssey leaves a better impression.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Our 2015 sounds like a log wagon until you get on a GOOD interstate.
promotional articles paid by Toyota, how ironic:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Minivan with sliding doors is born to rattle and squeak. To achieve the same NVH level of a BOF SUV it really requires a very good solid design and skilled assembly line workers. The current Sienna NVH is shit. I hope Toyota can just cancel this model and bring their Japanese Alphard here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts