Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2004 sienna le....nothing fancy and no auto headlight light control system.......i have 3 position switch.....off...1 and 2......when i have switch in off position with engine running in park should not all my running and headlight be off ??....and in #1 position my running lights (parking lights) only and in #2 position my full headlights and running lights.........................but when i have my sienna running parked with switch in off postion my high beam bulbs which serve also as running lights are on as running lights.....shouldnt they be off if switch is in off position???

·
Registered
439 Posts
High beams illuminate with reduced output as daytime running lights when the engine is running, park brake disengaged. DRLs turn off when you turn on the headlights. Stay on with park lights.

If you have the headlights on then turn off the engine, the headlights and all lights will turn off after about 10 seconds when you take the key and close the doors, then turn on again when you start the engine. You can just leave the headlight switch on all the time.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 199K miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
High beams illuminate with reduced output as daytime running lights when the engine is running. DRLs turn off when you turn on the headlights. I don’t know what they do when you turn on the park lights.

If you have the headlights on then turn off the engine, the headlights and all lights will turn off when you take the key and turn on again when you start the engine.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 199K miles
i would think that if i have the collum switch in the OFF position all my exterior lights will be off even if engine is running....so what happens if say at night im parked on the street with engine running but dont want any exterior lights on?......are you telling me its not possible....?.........i cant see how toyota would not give you that opition....my 02 camry has same swith but in OFF position all my exterior lights are off !

·
Registered
439 Posts
Set the park brake if you don’t want DRLs while the engine’s running. There’s probably a way to disable DRLs by removing a relay, doing a key dance or using Techstream.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 199K miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Set the park brake if you don’t want DRLs while the engine’s running. There’s probably a way to disable DRLs by removing a relay, doing a key dance or using Techstream.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 199K miles
i will go toyota dealer to find out more this week.....got you beat...my 04 has 220k and just braking it it.....runs and looks like new

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
680 Posts
I used to have an '05 LE, pretty much like yours. Yes, setting the parking brake will turn off the DRLs, but I don't remember if the brake has to be set before starting the van.

If you want to disable the DRLs semi-permanently, you can pull a jumper (it looks like a fuse) in the fusebox. I don't remember it label, but it is in the corner that is farthest forward (towards the bumper, not the windshield) and closest to the center of the van.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to have an '05 LE, pretty much like yours. Yes, setting the parking brake will turn off the DRLs, but I don't remember if the brake has to be set before starting the van.

If you want to disable the DRLs semi-permanently, you can pull a jumper (it looks like a fuse) in the fusebox. I don't remember it label, but it is in the corner that is farthest forward (towards the bumper, not the windshield) and closest to the center of the van.

how can i disable the drls but still have use of my bright beam when needed

·
Registered
2018 XLE AWD
680 Posts
I followed the link that sixto posted, then followed another link inside that one. In there, I found a picture of what I was trying to describe in post #6. The picture is what you will see when looking under the hood. The left headlight would be in the lower-right corner of the picture, near that angled edge.

I don't know about fuse #4, but the "un-named jumper" is the one that enables/disables the DRLs.

DRLs were featured on higher trim levels, but most people did not realize that it only required putting a jumper (any fuse would also work) in the "unknown" spot to make them work. Therefore, the reverse is also true: remove the jumper, the DRLs will not work.

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Number

1 - 9 of 9 Posts