Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 LE FWD. She started acting up. Fortunately, i was almost home. Got to my driveway and she stalled but she started back up again. Engine is running rough.
Where is the coolant temperature sensor located? Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i found it. Will have to check coolant level first when the engine cools down.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I found the problem. The cooling system sprung a major leak. The engine got really hot by the time I got home around 5:30 yesterday. I went and got 2 gallons of antifreeze and and looked at it around 8:45. That's 3plus hours but the engine was still very warm to the touch. I poured a gallon of coolant and noticed the leaked. It's coming from either the hose or the T connector behind the air filter.
Unfortunately, it started raining pretty hard so I didn't get to see exactly where. It'll be this weekend again before I can check it. I started it up this morning before I left and move it to a different spot in the driveway.

My question is what is the worst case scenario in terms of damage due to the engine overheating?
20200722-191329_Gallery.jpg 20200721_220522.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20200724_163228.jpg
There's the problem. Hoses appear intact and okay. It's the T connector. That's what's left of it. There are two. Will update again when I make progress.
20200724_164532.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's back up and running. After I was done, I had her idling in the driveway for almost an hour. No overheat, no leaks.
It looks like you can get the OEM T connector but I went with one I bought st Autozone. It was bigger so I trimmed it a little. Will just keep an eye on it regularly.
You guys with high mileage Gen 2s, you might think about replacing this as a preventive maintenance. It's an easy enough of a job. Remove the battery and air filter housing and there's plenty of room to do the job. If it goes, you will be stranded. I'm glad mine went when it did. I was three miles from home.

OEM here. 2010 Toyota Sienna LE 8 Passenger. LE WAGON Pipe - 8724808030 | McGeorge Toyota, Richmond VA
20200724_203731.jpg 20200724_204133.jpg 20200725_090830.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far so good but there are a couple of reviews on the tee I bought at autozone that said it failed on them a year later so that concerns me.
I found this brass tee that is the same exact size as the oem except it's not flanged at the tips. I'm thinking this is better than plastic but my question is, how is brass going to react to the coolant and high temperature? Will it corrode? Could there be a reason why i don't see any brass parts in car?
Thanks for your input.
20200728_182356.jpg

·
Registered
465 Posts
Brass in the cooling system is fine. My guess is that your 2GR-FE has at least one brass sensor touching coolant.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hey Vatoysienna, Thanks for the heads up with that T. Gonna take a look at now. Have a 900 mile road trip on Friday.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're welcome. I got that brass tee from Home Depot for $4. I'm keeping a couple of those in the glove compartment along with some hose clamps from now on. The tee I used from autozone were quite big and it took alot to get it on. OEM locally is $20. Just fyi.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Can you say what size T to look for at home depot? Did the original clamps fit or did you get the screw type clamps?
Edit: so I looked at mine and at 177k mile they still appear ok . Still I would like the home depot sku if you don"t mind.
Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The original clamps fit on the Autozone tee. That's what is on the van right now. I
20200729_191735.jpg

·
Registered
585 Posts
@vatoysienna Any reason you went with the PEX style connector versus a traditional hose barb?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
971 Posts
She's back up and running. After I was done, I had her idling in the driveway for almost an hour. No overheat, no leaks.
It looks like you can get the OEM T connector but I went with one I bought st Autozone. It was bigger so I trimmed it a little. Will just keep an eye on it regularly.
You guys with high mileage Gen 2s, you might think about replacing this as a preventive maintenance. It's an easy enough of a job. Remove the battery and air filter housing and there's plenty of room to do the job. If it goes, you will be stranded. I'm glad mine went when it did. I was three miles from home.

OEM here. 2010 Toyota Sienna LE 8 Passenger. LE WAGON Pipe - 8724808030 | McGeorge Toyota, Richmond VA
View attachment 46808 View attachment 46809 View attachment 46810
The part number for my 06 (3.3L engine) is 8724808060 .

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good morning folks. Headache was crazy last night so I hit the sack early.

@paul r if you look at one of the pics on my post #5, it shows the two old tees side by side. One is just in pieces. The other one appeared intact but the tips has started to break apart. You can also see it on post #4 still attached to the hoses looking ok. Then again, you have a little lower mileage than mine. I'm at 424k right now. The Home Depot SKU for the brass tee is 670750706325.

@floridanative I have the traditional hose barb on there right now that I bought from Autozone. It's a Koehler Enterprises brand and has a couple of bad reviews saying they broke after a year so I'm considering replacing it with the brass PEX style. I'm thinking metal is going to be better than plastic.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have the traditional hose barb on there right now that I bought from Autozone. It's a Koehler Enterprises brand and has a couple of bad reviews saying they broke after a year so I'm considering replacing it with the brass PEX style. I'm thinking metal is going to be better than plastic.
Actually, I was wondering about why the PEX one versus a standard plumbing brass one with the angled hose barbs. Like this one:

3/4" Hose ID, Hose Barb Tee T Union Fitting Intersection/Split Brass 3/4" Hose ID, Hose Barb Tee T Union Fitting Intersection/Split Brass: Pipe Fittings: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PEX was what I saw first at Home Depot but I like that angled hose barb better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I edited the thread title to reflect the problem for searching purposes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts