Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I got my money's worth out of the Sienna! But when it rains, it pours.
On my way back from NC this afternoon and still 96 miles from home, she started running rough. But everything worked out great. I had gotten off the interstate to get some snacks and was just getting back on when it happened. All the lights on the dash came on so I pulled over under the overpass. I leave my ELM327 plugged in all the time and actually had the CAR SCANNER app running because I was monitoring my coolant and transmission temperatures so I was able to read the code in seconds. P0302 pops up and I said YES! I carry a spare ignition coil because this happened 50k miles ago and I was up in DC. That time, it was P0306. I'm betting #4 is not far behind. Again I was thankful that it wasn't 0301 or 0303 or 0305. From the time I got out of the car, replaced the coil and got back in, took not even 5 min and I was on the road again. Quickest roadside emergency repair I've ever done. No problem until I got home. I need to get another coil.
It scares me to think what's next to go bad and where.
20200730_152847.jpg

·
Registered
965 Posts
I had a similar incident. My wife drove to Gainesville from Miami and on the way , luckily close to GNV the check engine light came on . I told her to take the van to Autozone and they told her what the code was. I inferred it was a bad coil so I purchased an aftermarket one and drove up to Gainesville which was what I had planned after my business trip from abroad. I got there installed the coil and all was ok after that. Luckily my son had his car there so my wife was still mobile. Easy fix!!
Anyhow vatoysienna that is an awesome story and like you I have a couple spare coils in my stash which I will be taking along with me on my trip tomorrow, Fri 31 Jul 2020. BTW I did manage to get a couple of those Tees as well from HD. Thanks much

·
Registered
582 Posts
@vatoysienna Have your coils been replaced before or did they all make it 400k+?

I'm thinking I'll put all new coils in at 240k when my plugs are due again.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Plugs and coils were all replaced somewhere around the 220k miles. I used DENSOs in the rear and BECK/ARNLEY in the front to save a little. The BECK/ARNLEYs are going out first. DENSOs are only a few dollars more on Amazon at $51 for the 2GRFE. I ordered another one yesterday. That spare I used yesterday I have had since Feb last year.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for all the info! I ordered a set to throw in my toolbag in the van. Only problem is that I don't want to carry enough SLL coolant to fill the system.

Joyway 2Pcs 3/4" ID Hose Barb, Tee T 3 Way Union Fitting Intersection/Split Brass Water/Fuel/Air https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D7H1PNG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uWfjFbXHG3EB5

I also carry a roll of silicone tape in each of my older vehicles (which includes my 2007 Sienna)...

Rescue Tape | Self-Fusing Silicone Tape | Emergency Pipe & Plumbing Repair | DIY Repairs | Seal Radiator Hose Leaks | Wrap Electrical Wires | Used by US Military | 1” X 12’ | Silicone Rubber | Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JT73D8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S4fjFbEBZF4VJ

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts