Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all,

I'm looking to jump into the Sienna world and need some help deciding between the two I have whittled it down to.

One is a clean, one owner, black 2011 XLE FWD with 95,000 miles.

The other is a silver 2015 XLE FWD with 114,000 miles and was involved in a MINOR front end accident as a rental vehicle in 2015.

Both show clean CARFAX/Autocheck and I have negotiated on both of them where price is the same ($11,200 +taxes, registration, etc).

Are the 2015 mid model upgrades worth the higher mileage and the couple of dings on it's record (rental and minor accident)?

Looking for some insight from those of you in the know to help me make a more informed decision.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Which of the following would you choose?

1) A poke in the right eye with a sharp stick.
2) A poke in the left eye with a sharp stick.

How are each of these vehicles equipped? Are there service records for both? Does everything on both vehicles work? Do you like one more than the other?

The sales brochures at the following link might help you determine how they are equipped: http://www.auto-brochures.com/toyota.html

You can also enter the VIN's at the following website to view option and package information: https://www.toyota.com/owners/my-vehicle/vehicle-specification

Some information that isn't documented in the sales brochure ...

The XLE first got an standard acoustic windshield for the 2013 model year. If the 2015 still has its original acoustic windshield, the word acoustic or a symbol representing acoustic will be at the bottom of the windshield on either the driver or passenger side.

If you plan to do any towing, the tow prep package was optional on the 2011 Sienna XLE FWD but standard on the 2015 Sienna XLE FWD. If the 2011 has it, it should be shown when you look up its VIN.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which of the following would you choose?

1) A poke in the right eye with a sharp stick.
2) A poke in the left eye with a sharp stick.
This is what is making it so much more difficult for me because this is a perfect analogy of what it is like for me when I consider the two.

They are both equipped the same, apart from the 2015 redesigns that does have towing, which is not a deal breaker. The 2011 is not equipped with towing Mileage is not a huge concern, being Toyotas. My 06 Corolla is pushing 400,000 and running strong as ever.

I would rather have the silver, but my wife would like the black, everything else being equal. But, she really doesn't care which one.

I guess what I am really asking is the 2015 redesign (quieter, better dash ergonomics, soft touch plastic, bigger touchscreen, 18 inch wheels, etc) worth the risk of taking a higher mileage, potentially more abused, two owner/rental vehicle over the meticulously cared for one owner, lower mileage, older vehicle?

Not having enough seat time in either, I can't decide and looking for a nudge to help to get off the fence.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Many people prefer the 2015-up due to the softer dashboard and front interior door panel materials and the revised HVAC controls. The multi-function display has been moved to the instrument cluster and the steering wheel design and controls are different. IIRC, more of the customizable features can be set by the owner. The tail lights are of a different design - all the bulbs are incandescent and perhaps a safer design. More body welds were suppose to help with the noise level.

There a few teething problems when the 2015's were refreshed but the only one I'm remembering right now is the problem with the light in the cruise control stalk - wouldn't stay lit but there was a dealer fix for it that has probably expired by now. T

There were also problems with the 2011 that should have been fixed under various service bulletins. 2011 was of course the first model year for the gen 3 Sienna.

If they are both FWD, both the 2011 and 2015 XLE should have 17 inch wheels. The 18" wheels came only on AWD versions and the FWD Limited.

If you want a nudge, I'd say go with the 2015. Keep in mind that the spark plugs are due for changing at 120,000 miles and it isn't cheap due to the difficulty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, now I feel stupid. The Carfax says it is a limited premium . It's titled "2015 Toyota Sienna LTD Premium / Limited / XLE / XLE Premium". So, I guess it's not equal.

I also noticed on there that earlier this year it "hit an object" and had to be towed. I know that can mean any number of things. I'm inquiring of the seller what exactly occurred. Hopefully, nothing major.

I've yet to actually see the 2015 apart from photos as it's 100 miles away. They have it listed at $14,600 but I talked them down to $11,200. It looks really nice. Pending the reason for the tow, this might have moved to the number one spot.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Well that's quite a change. That means the 2015 does have 18" wheels and a butte-load (a technical term!) of features that the 2011 XLE doesn't have ... height adjustable HID headlights, LED DRL, dual sunroofs, automatic high beam headlights, ottoman 2nd row seats, power stowing and reclining 3rd row seats, heated steering wheel and on and on.

That's just from memory ... I didn't look at the feature list.

The reason for the confusion is that the Limited is really considered to be an option package on the XLE. In the U.S. the Limited is marketed as a separate sub-model but in Canada it's just an option package on the XLE.

If the 2015 really is a Limited Premium and the 2011 is a standard XLE with no packages, then you are looking at two very different vehicles.

Edit: If the photos are on a public website and you don't want to supply the URL here (so somebody can "steal" the vehicle from you) send the URL to me by starting a "Conversation" and I can probably tell you want it is by looking at the photos. That's assuming there isn't a post requirement that you haven't met for starting a conversation. Or post the URL here if you are comfortable doing that.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I just had another thought. It would be very unusual for a car rental company to use a Limited Premium or even an XLE as a rental. All the Sienna rentals I've seen or have had have been LE's.

The 2015 is starting to sound fishy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve been in a dealer shuttle that’s limited premium, maybe if that’s it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
These are both vans that should have the timing belt replaced at the mileage they are at now. Check to see if that was performed, since it's an expensive but absolutely necessary service item.

I have no idea why this thread is trending on the forum.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
These are both vans that should have the timing belt replaced at the mileage they are at now. Check to see if that was performed, since it's an expensive but absolutely necessary service item.
They both have timing chains - not belts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good day to all,

I'm looking to jump into the Sienna world and need some help deciding between the two I have whittled it down to.

One is a clean, one owner, black 2011 XLE FWD with 95,000 miles.

The other is a silver 2015 XLE FWD with 114,000 miles and was involved in a MINOR front end accident as a rental vehicle in 2015.

Both show clean CARFAX/Autocheck and I have negotiated on both of them where price is the same ($11,200 +taxes, registration, etc).

Are the 2015 mid model upgrades worth the higher mileage and the couple of dings on it's record (rental and minor accident)?

Looking for some insight from those of you in the know to help me make a more informed decision.

Thanks.
I have a 2011 le v6 fwd, am the original owner. 95k miles, no major issues. Pretty much maintenance and a couple of recall repairs. I just bought a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid and have no plans to replace my 2011 van anytime soon. The only thing I would have done differently would be to purchase the AWD LE. I live in cold climate state with snow and ice in the winter. Anyways, they are great cars, and the bonus of the LE over XLE is they have less crap to eventually break (every car falls apart over time, Toyotas are no exception).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2011 le v6 fwd, am the original owner. 95k miles, no major issues. Pretty much maintenance and a couple of recall repairs. I just bought a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid and have no plans to replace my 2011 van anytime soon. The only thing I would have done differently would be to purchase the AWD LE. I live in cold climate state with snow and ice in the winter. Anyways, they are great cars, and the bonus of the LE over XLE is they have less crap to eventually break (every car falls apart over time, Toyotas are no exception).
Also, I would NEVER purchase a rental vehicle. Ever. I've been around that industry, and the cars are not maintained or treated nearly as well as one owner vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They both have timing chains - not belts.
Timing chains should last the life of the vehicle. I know some gen3 owners with well over 200k on the odometer with the original chains. Serpentine belts, on the other hand, I'd change out 10 years / 120k along with the water pump and pulleys (since you'll be in there anyways).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had another thought. It would be very unusual for a car rental company to use a Limited Premium or even an XLE as a rental. All the Sienna rentals I've seen or have had have been LE's.

The 2015 is starting to sound fishy.
I've rented Avalon hybrids as rentals and most of them were XLEs. I drove one for a week a couple of years ago that sold me on eventually purchasing a new hybrid RAV4 when I sold my old truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many people prefer the 2015-up due to the softer dashboard and front interior door panel materials and the revised HVAC controls. The multi-function display has been moved to the instrument cluster and the steering wheel design and controls are different. IIRC, more of the customizable features can be set by the owner. The tail lights are of a different design - all the bulbs are incandescent and perhaps a safer design. More body welds were suppose to help with the noise level.

There a few teething problems when the 2015's were refreshed but the only one I'm remembering right now is the problem with the light in the cruise control stalk - wouldn't stay lit but there was a dealer fix for it that has probably expired by now. T

There were also problems with the 2011 that should have been fixed under various service bulletins. 2011 was of course the first model year for the gen 3 Sienna.

If they are both FWD, both the 2011 and 2015 XLE should have 17 inch wheels. The 18" wheels came only on AWD versions and the FWD Limited.

If you want a nudge, I'd say go with the 2015. Keep in mind that the spark plugs are due for changing at 120,000 miles and it isn't cheap due to the difficulty.

No doubt! I'm getting ready to change those suckers in mine and I am not looking forward to it! Might have to take a day off of work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, now I feel stupid. The Carfax says it is a limited premium . It's titled "2015 Toyota Sienna LTD Premium / Limited / XLE / XLE Premium". So, I guess it's not equal.

I also noticed on there that earlier this year it "hit an object" and had to be towed. I know that can mean any number of things. I'm inquiring of the seller what exactly occurred. Hopefully, nothing major.

I've yet to actually see the 2015 apart from photos as it's 100 miles away. They have it listed at $14,600 but I talked them down to $11,200. It looks really nice. Pending the reason for the tow, this might have moved to the number one spot.
Just thought I'd give a little tidbit regarding rental cars that have been in an accident. Rental car insurance works differently in the sense that the car doesn't get a salvage title even if the repair cost approaches the value of the car. A rental car could be a mangled wreck and still have a clean title. A friend of mine bought an ex rental from an insurance auction. Both left doors and center pillar needed to be replaced. Car still has a clean title post repair.

Another tip: Sometimes you can find pictures of the car post accident by searching for the VIN if it's been through an auto auction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all. I went with the 2015 and it has been absolutely great so far. I pulled the accident report from when it was a rental and it was a very minor fender bender, cosmetically damaging only the front bumper cover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts