Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, forum!

New member here with used 2013 Sienna XLE.
I currently have Navigation/Display Radio (model number 86120-YY110 by Denso) but it is old system and I would like to upgrade with touchscreen Android/CarPlay.
This is what I have right now below picture.
Radio Media player Clock Gadget Home appliance

Problem is that most of the android/apple Carplay selling online has its own bracket that can be removed.
Like this guy on youtube where the middle part comes out.
Hand Watch Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

But my center bracket cannot be removed. The green square is the part where most people CAN remove and put the custom bracket whereas I cannot.
The yellow square is pretty much only part where I can fit a new android. It's about 9" across.
Output device Gadget Rectangle Gas Electronic instrument

So the question is, is there a specific brand/model Android Auto I can buy that fits the smaller center hole?
If you can provide the model or amazon/eBay link, that'd be great. Also with proper bracket to hold the device.
I use Apple phone so it must be Android/Apple CarPlay compatible.
(I already got the harness for adapter 2Din so wiring isn't much of issue for me.)

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Oh, after re-reading the middle green highlight can't be removed? That's very odd.

You may have to Dremel it or buy another XLE unit like mine that can. Try eBay.

I wonder if it's like stereos in the days where you just reuse the bracket/screws that holds the OEM stereo?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the green highlighted part cannot be removed.
It's just one uni-body bezel. Every youtube channel I watched has the middle part removable like giant U shape to fit custom bracket.
But I did not want to make any extra holes or even cut off the part.
The smaller 7" Android/CarPlay 'kind of' fit through the yellow highlighted part but there is about 1" gap on each side and no bracket can hold the unit.
If there is no Android/CarPlay that can fit, I guess I'd have to take your advice and buy a BASE unit for radio + center bezel. They go ~$100 (inc S/H) used on eBay I was hoping I can avoid that.

·
Registered
723 Posts
It's just one uni-body bezel. Every youtube channel I watched has the middle part removable like giant U shape to fit custom bracket.
The smaller 7" Android/CarPlay 'kind of' fit through the yellow highlighted part but there is about 1" gap on each side and no bracket can hold the unit.
If there is no Android/CarPlay that can fit, I guess I'd have to take your advice and buy a BASE unit for radio + center bezel. They go ~$100 (inc S/H) used on eBay I was hoping I can avoid that.
We had the same Denso unit with SD card Navigation on our 12' XLE which I replaced with a NEX8400. You are correct, this uni-body bezel will not fit most aftermarket units. You need one that is only connected at the top and the bottom. That bezel is also a Toyota OEM part and is used on other Trims/Models for different headunits. I got mine used, on fleabay. Sorry don't have the part # but if you look up the parts catalog for the 2011 - 14 Sienna, you should be able to get it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Can't avoid a lot of things when upgrading 😂. Especially if you want to retain most factory stuff. It will simply just cost more money.

But the bright side is you can always go back to original if you should sell/trade the vehicle.

·
Registered
Aug-2014 Sienna SE
10 Posts
Actually, I believe you CAN remove it, as I have on my 2014 SE.
Have you taken the assembly out of your vehicle and looked at the back of the plastic?

The fascia/frame surrounding the radio should have 4 screws in the corners.

Aliexpress sells a replacement with a 9 inch opening: 12.35US $ 35% OFF|Aisinimi Car DVD frame 9" FOR TOYOTA sienna 2012 car stereo car monitor all in one| | - AliExpress
If you want to use a unit with a 7 inch display, you buy a 9 to 7 inch insert.

Of course, these frames do not have the 2-DIN side brackets and I made my own from sheet metal.

YMMV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I believe you CAN remove it, as I have on my 2014 SE.
Have you taken the assembly out of your vehicle and looked at the back of the plastic?

The fascia/frame surrounding the radio should have 4 screws in the corners.
Unfortunately one cannot remove the middle part as it is one uni-body bezel. No 4 screws around the corner.
I actually had to buy base radio + bezel set for $100 for my project.
Gas Rectangle Bumper Machine Automotive exterior

Top one is my original bezel. Bottom is one I had to buy again on eBay. Even screw location is different.
Thankfully the vent is interchangeable so I just swapped the vent.
Hope this information helps any future Android/CarPlay upgrading people who has the original SD-card navigation system that has same part number above.

Attachments

·
Registered
Aug-2014 Sienna SE
10 Posts
Unfortunately one cannot remove the middle part as it is one uni-body bezel. No 4 screws around the corner.
I actually had to buy base radio + bezel set for $100 for my project.

Top one is my original bezel. Bottom is one I had to buy again on eBay. Even screw location is different.
Thankfully the vent is interchangeable so I just swapped the vent.
Hope this information helps any future Android/CarPlay upgrading people who has the original SD-card navigation system that has same part number above.
Ok, good to know! Thanks for the photos too.

Now, with that said, I had originally purchased a 10" android unit for my van and discovered the only fascia that fits directly is for a 9" unit. I had a look on AliExpress and found a 10 to 9 inch adapter that had clips on the back to clip into a 9" frame. Unfortunately, when I installed everything, the unit stuck out at least 1 inch from the rest of the dashboard area and I was hitting my knuckles on it when putting the van into park.
(I found an older and smaller WinCE unit and installed that instead).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I will provide bit of update.

First and foremost I would like to thank siennachat forum (also Toyotanation) for providing wonderful help.
It does not have exact same case help but it provided plenty tips for me to maneuver around to find what I needed.

Do you know of any plans for this to be developed without the USB to be required after it's initially setup?
I believe what you are asking is, can I use the new android/CarPlay without using USB? The answer is mostly yes.
Depends on what you buy, some of these android stereos have Bluetooth connection so you can connect to your phone without USB jack.

Font Screenshot Number Output device Multimedia

This one sits most flush and almost looks like OEM, also this one came with bezel/Dash Kit, wire harness etc.
But I didn't like this one because it did not work well with Apple iPhone.
So I bought this one instead. (It was little cheaper too)
Font Screenshot Gadget Output device Communication Device

But you'd have to get wire harness and dash kit/bezel kit separately.
Networking cables Data transfer cable Font Cable Electrical wiring

Output device Product Font Gadget Rectangle

Unfortunately this Metra Dash Kit did not fit the Android Stereo; rather than returning it, I grind the edge so it'd fit.

Now, the 'easy' part was done.
The HARDEST part was the wiring.
Audio part was pretty much straight forward with matching the colors.
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

But the backup camera was NIGHTMARE. It took me 3 weekends to find out after trial and error.
It was difficult because pretty much every youtube/forum guide was different.
Rightfully so because not all Siennas are the same even with same year/generation.
Depends on trim, some had backup camera is on the tiny display up in the dash. Some have different harness etc.

Mine specifically had backup camera on bigger screen but camera activation was separate from the 20 pin harness.
This one is the took me AWHILE to figure it out.
White Automotive tire Gas Automotive lighting Machine

Electrical wiring Electricity Electrical supply Computer hardware Cable

The red circle/square adapter has 3 wires. The black color wire on this adapter needs to be connected to the 'back up wire' on the android stereo so it ACTIVATES when reverse gear is engaged.
Also 4 wires on the blue circle/square adapter needs to be connected to android stereo.
Video +, Video -, Camera power 6v/12v AND ground wire. I thought camera was always on so I did not do 12v/ground connect which caused my camera to show black screen. This took me another few hours to figure out.

Connect Video + and Video - to the android wire. And Camera Power 12v to ACC line to android wire (usually red color). Lastly ground wire to android's ground wire (usually black)

After 3 weeks of struggle, I finally got it to work! The feeling of achievement was overwhelming.
It felt better than even Toyota V6 sparkplugs/coils job if you know what I mean haha.
Car Vehicle Speedometer Steering part Trip computer

One small issue was, I could not connect the steering wheel controller because android wire only has ONE steering wheel control wire. Whereas the most cars have TWO wires for steering wheel control.
I can live without steering wheel control; *but if anyone can help with with how to connect 2 wires of steering wheel control into 1 wire, that would be much obliged.

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
152 Posts
Do you know of any plans for this to be developed without the USB to be required after it's initially setup?
I believe what you are asking is, can I use the new android/CarPlay without using USB? The answer is mostly yes.
Depends on what you buy, some of these android stereos have Bluetooth connection so you can connect to your phone without USB jack.
I was looking at this, and my understanding is that just because a radio has Bluetooth does not mean it supports wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. My 2020 Silverado could do wired Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, but not wireless. If connected by Bluetooth you could use Bluetooth functions, but at least for iPhone this does NOT allow you to use Apple CarPlay.

Browsing Crutchfield, I saw models that had wireless Apple CarPlay starting at like $450. The cheaper models supported Apple CarPlay but only wired Apple CarPlay. All had Bluetooth so all would work with Bluetooth functions but that isn’t CarPlay/Android Auto.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Glad you got it to work. There's way too many configuration on the sienna imo. It was hard for me as well, the maestro documents didn't match up to the to1 wires,I had to figure it out myself as well.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I was looking at this, and my understanding is that just because a radio has Bluetooth does not mean it supports wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. My 2020 Silverado could do wired Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, but not wireless. If connected by Bluetooth you could use Bluetooth functions, but at least for iPhone this does NOT allow you to use Apple CarPlay.

Browsing Crutchfield, I saw models that had wireless Apple CarPlay starting at like $450. The cheaper models supported Apple CarPlay but only wired Apple CarPlay. All had Bluetooth so all would work with Bluetooth functions but that isn’t CarPlay/Android Auto.
Wireless Android or Car play requires the unit to support some type of wifi connection broadcasting from the head unit itself. Without it there's no way except to use a USB connection. In addition, the phone had to also support it. Not all android or apple phones support it natively. High end phones usually.

Most of the head unit that supports wireless will cost much more.

Yes Bluetooth is just for streaming voice/music and is not the same as wireless android or car play.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts