Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last August 2020, after almost one year of almost continuous moisture/condensation in headlamp, I plunged and purchased new passenger side HID assembly for 2004 XLE Ltd - all seemed well for 5-6 months until, after a thunderstorm, significant condensation developed so dealership contacted regarding warranty. Fast forward in now July 2021, the dealership has replaced the headlamp assembly 5 times more (last tine 8 days ago). Dealer contacts SE Toyota Distributors and they say order another - all headlamps sent were from same vendor and likely same batch. HID Headlight blew out after 7 days of use on van last night. Dealership will not change headlight and contacted SE Toyota Distributors for another when available. NO AFTERMARKETS available. Dealer says to replace with halogen housings, must also do major rewire, replace relays and ECU (with XLE one). Has DRLs and low and high beams maintain power when high beams come on, so 120W of light and heat when using high beams.

I see one or two people who reportedly have done this mod, so will it trash the relays and ECU over time? Do not have nearly enough money to consider buying new one right now

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were just the bulb this conversation would not be here. NEW headlamp assembly mounted 1 week ago and with one small rainstorm, enough condensation to cause 1/4 in water layered along the bottom of the lens which likely spill over into the ballast. One this assembly was reportedly tested at SE Toyota Distributors to determine if it could hold mild pressure without leaking prior to its arrival at my dealership. And all bushings checked by them and by me and found to be tight.

Even if I repplaced bulb or ballast, with that amount of water, would do it again in another week.
Meanwhile, cannot drive van at night as awaiting 2 new assemblies to arrive from same vendor to the US (3.5 weeks last time)

HENCE why I'm asking about halogen retrofit, which Toyota states would require new halogen headlamp assemblies, wiring harness, relays and an ECU setup for halogen lighting (i.e.XLE ECU placed in XLE Ltd van) - over $4k in parts alone and sounds to me like hogwash!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but the original HIDs on my van are 15 years old and work very well. Never had a condensation problem, although once a year or so I have to polish the housings. Have you considered getting a used one from a junkyard? Probably $20 or so.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah sorry your last statement about them was that they "blew" which I thought meant bulb out not water intrusion. Are they going to replace under parts warranty but taking long to get stock? (Do a check and mark the current ones with invisible ink to verify they are in fact changing them. And should be OEM not aftermarket. I know SET is so big they have their own parts).

May be helpful to ask over here:

There are two automotive lighting moderators with excellent insight/knowledge...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but the original HIDs on my van are 15 years old and work very well. Never had a condensation problem, although once a year or so I have to polish the housings. Have you considered getting a used one from a junkyard? Probably $20 or so.
Roader, what is your address, asking for a friend, oh and when are you in a deep sleep? 🤣😎

1 - 6 of 6 Posts