Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoohray. Just bought my first toyota ever, 2014 LE AWD.

Would you recommend whether normal vs. hidden hitch? How easy or hard to install hidden hitch?

Thanks,
aisa

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Gosh, that is a tough one. The Curt Class III hitch I bought from etrailer.com is very nice and was easy to install but I might have installed a hidden Torklift hitch if I had known about them at the time: https://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/2011+-Toyota-Sienna-2-Hidden-Ecohitch-Trailer-Hitch-p3190.htm

The Torklift hitch is more expensive and requires removing the rear bumper cover which is probably not that hard to do. There is a video on the Torklift website.

The hardest part of installing a my Curt hitch and wiring harness was removing the tail lights to install the harness and running the wiring harness power wire to the positive clamp on the battery in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. I will take a look into to torklift.

Another question, would the hitch under Sienna too low which likely hit the ground when going over bump? It seemed to me back clearance on sienna kind of low (as I compared to my old odysse)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Thanks for reply. I will take a look into to torklift.

Another question, would the hitch under Sienna too low which likely hit the ground when going over bump? It seemed to me back clearance on sienna kind of low (as I compared to my old odysse)
Not all hitches have the same ground clearance. One of the reasons I bought the Class III Curt hitch was that its "cross tube" and receiver seemed to ride higher than the cross tubes and cross bars on other hitches I considered. I recommend considering the Torklift hidden hitch since its brackets and cross bar ride above the rear plastic underbody cover instead of below it like my Curt and most other hitches.

My Curt hitch has been on my Sienna since May (?) and hasn't scraped a single time but the largest trailer I've towed so far is my 4'x8' utility trailer that has a very low tongue weight. The hitch I had on my last Lexus sedan for a decade probably scraped one or more times each week

Whether a hitch scrapes while towing depends on keeping the passenger load, luggage load and tongue weight at an appropriate level - generally a tongue weight below 350 pounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts